Best EQ setting on the ipod
Jul 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #47 of 86

Quote:
I vote "Jazz."

Now watch some smartass say that the "Flat" EQ is their favorite.
tongue.gif

Flat.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #48 of 86
"off" or "flat" I dont like the ipods EQ very much. Small exception though. When I am listening to certain kinds of Trance/House, I sometimes have it set to "dance"

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #50 of 86
A parametric EQ would have been nice. None of the EQ presets are perfect, but for my ears only,
Bass reducer makes ATH-M50, PX-100, and HD238 sound better.
Treble reducer makes ATH-AD700, Grado, and Ety 'phones more tolerable, even though it's too much cut.
Deep makes RE0 sound better, provided that the track isn't hot enough to result in clipping.
HD280, UE IEMs, and Shure IEMs sound best on none because the presets are too heavy-handed.

I have a couple more headphones that I could try, but I don't use them on an iPod. BTW, here's an old graph: http://www.modeemi.fi/~vesas/iPod_Audio.pdf . I haven't measured the frequency response of the EQ on the iPad or the new iPods/iPhones, so the curves could be different. They might be online somewhere.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #52 of 86
Anyone else notice a change in the EQ settings on their ipod Touch after upgrading to OS 4??  They all sound different now.  They all require additional volume after applying them.  Prior to the upgrade, the Treble booster setting didn't lose volume, I could actually drop the volume a step and maintain the level.  Now all the settings drop the volume.  I've since stopped using any EQ with my Grado's and Copper's, neither of them require EQ.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #53 of 86
That's good news if you're using bass boost or any other preset that boosts a frequency band to the point where it could go into clipping. If you look at the graphs in that PDF that I attached in post #50, you'll see that most presets do this. The notable exceptions are bass reducer and treble reducer; these should need no volume reduction. Try bass boost on a really loud track. Does it still distort the sound like did before? If not, then iOS 4 EQ presets left enough headroom to avoid distortion from clipping.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #59 of 86

Anyone else notice a change in the EQ settings on their ipod Touch after upgrading to OS 4??  They all sound different now.  They all require additional volume after applying them.  Prior to the upgrade, the Treble booster setting didn't lose volume, I could actually drop the volume a step and maintain the level.  Now all the settings drop the volume.  I've since stopped using any EQ with my Grado's and Copper's, neither of them require EQ.

Yea I noticed almost instantly. Since updating to iOS 4.0, the volume is significantly lower when I use bass booster (love my bass!). Turns out Apple lowered the volume on EQs because it distorted some low quality songs/headphones. I found it annoying, so I just turned my EQ off :)

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #60 of 86

Quote:
Yea I noticed almost instantly. Since updating to iOS 4.0, the volume is significantly lower when I use bass booster (love my bass!). Turns out Apple lowered the volume on EQs because it distorted some low quality songs/headphones. I found it annoying, so I just turned my EQ off :)

Whew... glad it wasn't just my hearing or my iPod.. I was too busy to check for any news or update notes from Apple.  Thanks for the update and confirmation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back