Best Cello reproduciton
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #31 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a fellow cello lover may I suggest subscribing to the Magnatune Cello Podcast? I think you'll enjoy it.

Very nice and interesting link, just a shame it is only 128 kb mp3

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice and interesting link, just a shame it is only 128 kb mp3

Agreed. But that is for the pod cast. If you become a member you can download the music you like as lossless (AIFF & etc).

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 94
Grado 125 and RS-1 do it beautifully. I do lost of cello recordings.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #34 of 94
I did try those and they where awesome on both my Pro 900 and 8.35D Monitors. Nice to get some new reference music. 8.35D Monitors give you perhaps slightly more texture on the cello strokes with it´s longer decay. Pro 900 being more detailed and a bit more sophisticated with the soundstagigng still and just that tad more neutral presentation. I do preferr the Pro 900 overall but it´s on a level who give a damn really difference lol Different ear day tomorrow I may say the opposite lol.

But magnatune wow... 10$ montly subscription and you get everything!

edit: only 128 kb and sound this good!

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #35 of 94
No I hadn't mentioned any price point, though stax ya are a big investment
smily_headphones1.gif
Of which I may make someday but certainly not today or this month
smily_headphones1.gif

Aimless1, That is a nice site. Always like new music. Thanks for all the recommendations all. The pro 900 I had planned on getting for rock already. I found a well used pair of dt48s online that look rather old (They say West Germany on them!). Though they are dt48e's. The others I think I'll have to collect eventually.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #36 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I hadn't mentioned any price point, though stax ya are a big investment
smily_headphones1.gif
Of which I may make someday but certainly not today or this month
smily_headphones1.gif

Aimless1, That is a nice site. Always like new music. Thanks for all the recommendations all. The pro 900 I had planned on getting for rock already. I found a well used pair of dt48s online that look rather old (They say West Germany on them!). Though they are dt48e's. The others I think I'll have to collect eventually.

With the DT48.. Older is better.. Would they be the 8 ohm model? They are no longer in production. They have black oval, plastic ear pads.. My DT48e 8 ohm has a 120 ohm adapter. Adds a bit of warmth tonally. Bass is fuller.. Sound has more ompth, upfront, & a bit better prat.

Sound stage is cut & dry.. Very left to right orienated..(1937 engineering. 60 plus yrs before 5.1 SS) Little vertical depth.. But will give you more depth & width if the source calls for it.. They are a chameleon & shape shifter. & what Beyer calls a 'precise instrument'. They are very sensitive to upstream components. Sound is 'pedesterain', plain jane next door type, no real wow moments (for the majority) upon first listen.. Erik has stated that the only other headphones that have that extra layer of transparency is the HD800/R10. Correct me, if I'm wrong Erik.. Your ears need to adjust to the sound..Flat/neutral (including bass/no colorization (to my ears) So a 20-30 minute audition isn't a good measuring point, especially if using the same source.

Thats a quick run down.. You may totally disagree.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #37 of 94
They were dt48a's actually, my apologies. They are 5ohm. What do you mean A is for audio "metry" only. Not sure what that means.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #38 of 94
Quote:

They were dt48a's actually, my apologies. They are 5ohm. What do you mean A is for audio "metry" only. Not sure what that means.

Ugh.. You should have 'consulted' me before hand. The DT48a has a very narrow sound stage.. & sound like a very ultra clear AM station.. Muted treble. Severe roll offs in the highs.. Technical wise, they are the 'best' out of the other models.. But for musical genres Jazz, accoustics, & vocals.. Thats it.. They are as musical as a corpse for rock/R&B/hip hop.. Of course, the a's with a tube amp might help..

As I stated in my PM I sent you.. I seen seen that version of the DT48a.. They have black cups, not the usual red/blue for audio metry use.. They might sound different, but can't say..

Audio metry.. They were made to check a persons hearing through various frequencies.. Used in research labs.. Medical testing.. Hearing test..

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #39 of 94
My wallet is empty after the hf-2/pico/ear+ in the past week lol. So I didn't pull the trigger on them and they went unsold. I'll ask him to hit me up if he comes across anymore dt48e's. Sound like it would be best to stay away from the A.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 94
Quote:

My wallet is empty after the hf-2/pico/ear+ in the past week lol. So I didn't pull the trigger on them and they went unsold. I'll ask him to hit me up if he comes across anymore dt48e's. Sound like it would be best to stay away from the A.

Umm.. Yes.. For Jazz/accoustics/vocals/classical I will defend the a's to the death.. For other genres.. Picture a vaccum sucking out the musicality out of rock/R&B/Hip hop/Dance..

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #41 of 94
Sorry to double post here and in the pm. Just didn't want to clutter the thread with conversations about some specific phones and our own thoughts between each other. Ya those look rather old. Pre-91 at least they'd have to be with the W.Germany moniker.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #42 of 94
Oh, I completely misunderstood. Well then I guess for the price I'll give them a try. acoustic/classical is what I'm looking for. I have my grado's and soon the pro 900 for other stuff.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #43 of 94
Quote:

Oh, I completely misunderstood. Well then I guess for the price I'll give them a try. acoustic/classical is what I'm looking for. I have my grado's and soon the pro 900 for other stuff.

So the DT48a will be genre specefic then? Cool. Just note the lack of some treble extension.. One user really enjoyed them for accoustics, but the lack of treble killed it for him.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #44 of 94
I don't even understand how certain cans can be best for a cello. It either sounds like a cello or it doesn't. Everything should sound good on a neutral can. If the sound is dry or analytical, then it's the musician's (or cellist's) fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back