Best Cello reproduciton
Aug 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
I love the way a Cello sounds and can sound. What would be your thoughts on a headphone that can best reproduce it. THis is mostly subjective, but eh, thought I'd throw it out there. I hear great Cello work on Damien rice's albums and I want better fidelity
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 94
See if you can find a used Beyerdynamic DT48 inexpensively. They're wonderful with cellonand other acoustic instruments. I've found three pairs between $60 and $100 or so. For the price, nothing touches the DT48. It's better than many more expensive headphones, as well.

You might want to consider a couple of other standbys, the AKG K-501 and the Sennheiser HD-600. The K-501 has a wondeful, organic sound and is "right" with an orchestra. It has a terrific soundstage, as well. The HD-600 is great with just about anything you throw at it, but it doesn't have the acoustic magic that the DT48 and K-501 have.

If you want to go further up the price range, you'd appreciate the HD-800, K-1000, HP-1000 and most of the electrostats.

And if speakers interest you, go for electrostats, ribbons, planars, or AMTs. I've owned all of those except planars, and they're fantastic with cello and other acoustic instruments. I've heard a few planars (Magnepans) and they all share the same magic.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 94
Would the dt48 go well with my amp? OR the 501? I think you suggested the dt48 before to me. I think I should just buy one to see how it compares.
smily_headphones1.gif

What about the jh13? I'm being one of those next week regardless
biggrin.gif

*edit* thanks uncleErik

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 94
DT-48 will reproduce very accurately but you may not like its sound signature which is cold, sterile, and flat. Personally I prefer the HD-650 for classical. It is a very warm, euphonic headphone with great bass. I have not heard the K-501 or K-701 but many ppl like those for classical as well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 94
+1 for your location tvrboy, in lansing myself
biggrin.gif
GO UofM. Good points you make here about the style difference. I haven't heard any of them , that's half the problem. I just need to get htem and try and them and if I don't like them sell them off. Well that's the plan anyway.I may horde them
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 94
Cellos naturally produce rich warm sound. You can buy accurate headphones. But if you were to buy headphones that color the sound, it wouldn't make a real difference, because they usually color the sound such that it sounds warmer. To make warm warmer isn't entirely noticeable.

If you like violin music, that's a different story. Highs on violins tend to be bright. That brightness disappears with colored cans, and you can't get the true violin sound.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 94
I don't have any experience with the Mapletree, but the DT48 goes well with tubes. As was mentioned, it is really flat. However, it will let the character of tubes through and you'll get a little warmth that way. That's partially my taste - I've found that I like really neutral, transparent transducers on tubes. Getting to listen to the tubes directly is what I like. Solid state takes some of the life out of music, unless you're using colored transducers. I found that I enjoy tube coloration better.

Anyhow, you can usually pick up a DT48 reasonably on eBay. If you don't like it (and not everyone does) there's probably enough interest to resell them here for what you paid. If not, others on eBay pick them up for professional work, so they will sell. I don't think there's much risk with a used pair.

One thing people agree on is that the DT48 is very different from everything else out there. If it clicks with you, then you'll have a very unique headphone that does things no other headphone will. I also like Beyerdynamic's support for the DT48. You can get any replacement part you want and they'll offer them for a long time to come.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 94
For instrument like cello, violin and guitar, my PS1000 sound the best. There's a lot of emotion and texture. I believe it has no problem for your Mapletree amp which is an ideal match with Grado.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 94
IMO, Electrostatics would do more justice to a cello, you need transparency and high resolution to render string notes to near perfection. I also like how strings sound with the HD800, that is something I cannot reproach them for....

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 94
What an interesting thread.
L3000.gif

Normally I am asked questions about what microphone to use when recording a cello - or - how do I mic. up a cello.

I agree - the cello has a wonderful sound - but can be very difficult to record well because it radiates different frequencies in different directions (see diagram below to see how the cello radiates at different frequencies).

cello-radiation.png

Posted as it's so interesting.

I won't add to the list of headphones, though.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 94
Does that mean there is no sennheisers you can recommend
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean there is no sennheisers you can recommend
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

There are several Sennheisers I could recommend (some already mentioned), but I'm not allowed to recommend headphones.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 94
Short response to John's post. (thank you). That is probably one of the thing's that strikes me most about a cell is the way the sound surrounds you.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short response to John's post. (thank you). That is probably one of the thing's that strikes me most about a cell is the way the sound surrounds you.

So you actually *play* the cello, then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back