Best Cello reproduciton
Aug 17, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 94
Imo electrostatics reproduce string instruments (cello, violin, guitar, ...) very well. So you can not go much wrong with one of the Stax SR-007 (BL, A, MK2) models.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short response to John's post. (thank you). That is probably one of the thing's that strikes me most about a cell is the way the sound surrounds you.

Interesting need to try some. Where do you find good cello music? I just find music with bass guitars.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #18 of 94
To my liking the best cello headphone I have heard was the GS-1000

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 94
I'm very happy with my AD2000/yammy matching at the moment. I spend a lot of time listening to classical string quintets and smaller. The pair is very transparent (but I know down the road I can squeeze even more out with further upgrades; its the painful nature of our hobby). Also, the frequency response is very balanced. Runs on the cello are very life-like. Listening in cars or to ear buds, I now notice how wonky their freq response is. I have a whole bunch of old Philips classic reissues on CD by great musicians, and here one of my favorite aspects to the phones come into play: the player's virtuosity clearly comes thru and for that I love my system. The only falling point I am searching to upgrade from is that sometimes I don't have enough texture on cellos and violins. There's bite, and it doesn't sound like synths, but it can't be called life-like either. I'm hoping to fix this with a big source upgrade in the next month but we'll have to see. Maybe I will be going to an omega2 upgrade path eventually.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo electrostatics reproduce string instruments (cello, violin, guitar, ...) very well. So you can not go much wrong with one of the Stax SR-007 (BL, A, MK2) models.

Yeah, not everyone can afford a 007...

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 94
What's your budget and is cello the only important thing to reproduce?

I doubt many could tolerate the bass or heaviness, but blue dragon recabled pro 900 does an incredibly good cello. Of all the instruments I've heard these headphones reproduce, it does cello the best. It has the potential for such bass detail and weight you'd think your ears were as close to the cello as the mic. Imo You'd need to spend beaucoups of money on source/amp that have exceptional bass to get it to sound right though. And again, blue dragon pro 900 is probably too bassy and heavy for most people and is so-so for fast songs.

oqvist, you can listen to jami sieber's four albums for free on magnatune
tongue.gif
she's a pretty good cellist.

http://magnatune.com/artists/sieber

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #22 of 94
A well-burned-in Ultrasone titanium driver (PRO750/900/Ed9) reproduces the most palpable cello I've ever heard. Damien Rice sounds absolutely sublime with them.

Of course, you need a good source to provide that part of the music in the first place. I don't have much experience with the Pico to comment on that though.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #24 of 94
Lol well I would suspect it was ultrasone again. Though I really don´t get that much bass weight on my Pro 900 but it´s KeeS modded and staying that way. I actually betted more on the 8.35D monitors since they do have more mid or if it´s upper bass. But mostly they are slower so give you more time for the strings plucking. longer decay
smily_headphones1.gif
It´s more biased to bass guitars then my Pro 900 anyway.

Interesting about the blue dragon do it make it more bass heavy then in stock even? Weight for me isn´t the strength of my Pro 900 I would say but then I hardly remember how it much bass it had unmodded and my system surely doesn´t boost the bass the slightest either
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, not everyone can afford a 007...

True. But I note that the OP have not posted a price range or budget...

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 94
The JVC HA-RX700's are some the best for the reproduction of cello and acoustic guitar I've heard and for a bargain price of usually under $35 USD street price. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT-48 will reproduce very accurately but you may not like its sound signature which is cold, sterile, and flat. Personally I prefer the HD-650 for classical. It is a very warm, euphonic headphone with great bass. I have not heard the K-501 or K-701 but many ppl like those for classical as well.

Compared to warm, colored, fun headphones they are..

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any experience with the Mapletree, but the DT48 goes well with tubes. As was mentioned, it is really flat. However, it will let the character of tubes through and you'll get a little warmth that way. That's partially my taste - I've found that I like really neutral, transparent transducers on tubes. Getting to listen to the tubes directly is what I like. Solid state takes some of the life out of music, unless you're using colored transducers. I found that I enjoy tube coloration better.

Anyhow, you can usually pick up a DT48 reasonably on eBay. If you don't like it (and not everyone does) there's probably enough interest to resell them here for what you paid. If not, others on eBay pick them up for professional work, so they will sell. I don't think there's much risk with a used pair.

One thing people agree on is that the DT48 is very different from everything else out there. If it clicks with you, then you'll have a very unique headphone that does things no other headphone will. I also like Beyerdynamic's support for the DT48. You can get any replacement part you want and they'll offer them for a long time to come.

You can buy every part separately & build your own. I know a head fier who is doing that..

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 94
oqvist, if you have a dac and amp with emphasized bass, stock pro 900 makes the bass anemic and you get a lot of thumpy booms, but with blue dragon cable it'll go straight to your drivers and you'll go "lol" at all the bass details your poor drivers will faithfully reproduce. Unless you like a more mellow sound signature (stock cable has a more neutral presentation) and want a taste of what hi-fi skullcandy vibration might be like, I'd say stay with Kees. I think the months of abuse I've given the pro 900 with this cable has finally taken its toll because the bass has toned down recently, poor drivers
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 94
Hmmm, first headphone that comes to my mind is the AKG K501..
Like Uncle Eric says, it's great for this type of music/sound and has a huuuge soundstage

But there are lots of great headphones out there of course..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back