Best Cello reproduciton
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #46 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicscantdrive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even understand how certain cans can be best for a cello. It either sounds like a cello or it doesn't. Everything should sound good on a neutral can. If the sound is dry or analytical, then it's the musician's (or cellist's) fault.

Clearly you need to listen to more headphones.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #47 of 94
Cello player here. Although I have yet to hear a headphone setup that can exactly match the sounds of a cello, I will say that my HD-595s do an awfully good job of it. I universally switch to my Senns for orchestral, jazz, and vocal heavy music.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #50 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found the Grados (225/RS1) to do small orchestra and chamber music fine. Given a choice I would take either the K501 or the W5000 over the Grados, however. Especially for full orhcestra pieces

My experience is the opposite. We use AKG phones on sessions for sound isolation reasons but they do not get the cello timbre right. The Grados are very good here.

A very good test is the Yarlung Records Elinor Frey/David Fung CD of cello and piano. This is perhaps the best and most natural cello recording I have heard.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #51 of 94
If I only get one track to test a piece of gear with, it is cello every time. Any headphone that does cello well is a headphone I love, I have learned, even though I don't listen to an awful lot of orchestral music.

My head time is divided roughly in thirds between my RS-1, K1000, and Stax SR Lambda (normal bias). All three are real cello champs, especially that delicious barky/bitey midrange.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #53 of 94
Is a headphone good at cello generally good at piano as well? Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #54 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clearly you need to listen to more headphones.

Are you even a musician? I grew up with a string ensemble, and I've played these instruments since grade school. The cans recommended on here distort the cello sound. They make a cello not sound like a cello. Perhaps you should spend less time listening to headphones and more time listening to actual instruments.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #55 of 94
Your mom distorts the cello sound. Hehe just kidding, but I really don't agree with you when you said "everything should sound good on a neutral can." If that was so then every single can would be neutral hmm?

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #56 of 94
Quote:

Are you even a musician? I grew up with a string ensemble, and I've played these instruments since grade school. The cans recommended on here distort the cello sound. They make a cello not sound like a cello. Perhaps you should spend less time listening to headphones and more time listening to actual instruments.

Perhaps you should post less rudely.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should post less rudely.

Or perhaps you should register on "actual_instrument-fi".

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #58 of 94
I find that the Stax SR007 mk1 has a very realistic "cello" sound..silky smooth mids....even better that the Senn HD800.

I happen to have a cello in the next room, along with a guitar ( both acoustic and electric), 100 year old piano, a 70 yr old violin and my vintage Martin and Gibson ukuleles. My kids play most of the instruments, while I listen...me I play the ukes. Different ears folks.

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #59 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R10s and JH13s, with a nice nod to the HF2s: all are lovely with cello pieces.

I believe the OP has a HF-2 and seems to not feel the same way?

Blargman - what do you feel is missing from the HF-2 that makes it not a good can for the Cello?

Aug 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #60 of 94
Quote:

Wow. I'm impressed you had the balls to say that to a well respected member with +7800 posts. I, and likely most of us here, will agree with mule's statement. But what what we really don't like is your attitude. I can imagine you screaming at your monitor: there can only be ONE way to listen to cello and it MUST BE MINE. yeash.. no fun at all and a bad start to the boards my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back