Best can for up to $300 ?
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #136 of 148
Trust me - at 46 I'm more looking forward to a nice meal with family, and  couple of glasses of good wine 
size]
.  I'll post link to the how-to when I get it done.  At this stage I'm looking to cover:
 - ripping with EAC
 - tagging with MP3 tag
 - transcoding with dbpoweramp
 - setting up an abx with Foobar.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #137 of 148
Quote:
Yeah I have been posting a lot because I wanted to purchase a set relatively quick. I ended up going with the Mad Dogs. I think the main suggestions were the Sony Mdr-1rs, Yamaha 300s, Beyerdynamic DT770s, AKG 550s, Seinheiser Momentums and the Mad Dogs. There was probably a few more but thats what I remmember.

Oh nice you went with mad dogs. Very cool those are some GREAT cans [so long as you have a CLEAN TUBE or a good solid state]

plus for on the go sound they are comfy as can b and isolate very well 

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #138 of 148
Quote:
Trust me - at 46 I'm more looking forward to a nice meal with family, and  couple of glasses of good wine 
size]
.  I'll post link to the how-to when I get it done.  At this stage I'm looking to cover:
 - ripping with EAC
 - tagging with MP3 tag
 - transcoding with dbpoweramp
 - setting up an abx with Foobar.

Hahaha HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sounds like a good night, a few extra glasses wont hurt!  I look forward to your walkthrough its really gonna help me out!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #140 of 148
Quote:
Yes, hopefully I dont regret it! I went with the iBasso D6 amp to power them

if you like the sound then there's nothing to regret! 

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #141 of 148
I've seen similar guides out there but a lot are outdated or buried in old boards, never hurts to have another. I like using Media Money for album art tagging (uses Amazon's database) and transcoding, not sure if it handles ALAC tho, probably does... I use FLAC tho, so EAC itself can handle the bulk of the process for me (rip, convert WAV to FLAC, and basic tagging), and MM's just for album art, library organization, and transcoding to MP3 (for phone and streaming across the house).

MM's got very nice/intuitive library and batch tools, and Amazon's album art library is ridiculous (also helps that it lets you check foreign Amazon sites). Ripping your discs properly with EAC and archiving them into ALAC is really the biggest step, the rest is all pretty intuitive.

I actually keep two copies of my library, might as well since keeping a permanent MP3 transcode of the lossless library takes an insignificant amount of space in addition to the lossless files... I mostly play the FLAC files at the PC and the MP3 everywhere else. You'll probably never hear a difference if you use a high enough bitrate for the MP3s but it still makes a lot of sense to rip to FLAC/ALAC for archival purposes... Think of lossless like a virtual CD and MP3 like a cassette tape.

You can remix and manipulate one without losing anything, with the other you've already lost some info so any future transcode/edit loses even more... Lossless is like a zip archive, regular compression that retains everything. MP3's more like a JPEG... Every time it's saved it's altered.

Anyway, MM's a nice multi-tool, cursinchecking out... Tho if you're going with ALAC you're probably already married to iTunes. EAC's definitely the standard for ripping, and foobar has a learning curve but it's ridiculously versatile as a player.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #143 of 148
@Classics

Your abx walk-through is here.  Hope it's helpful 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #146 of 148
Hey guys just wanted to follow up and let you know how much I love the mad dogs ! They sound wonderful even without an amp but when I have thwm hooked up to my d6 amp they are unbelievably clear and crisp sounding headphones. For example Iwas llistening to some live music and I could here people whispering in the background! They are exactly what I expexted and I don't regret getting them 1 bit ! Thanks for all of your input I will probably be asking for it again sometime lol.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #147 of 148
Quote:
Hey guys just wanted to follow up and let you know how much I love the mad dogs ! They sound wonderful even without an amp but when I have thwm hooked up to my d6 amp they are unbelievably clear and crisp sounding headphones. For example Iwas llistening to some live music and I could here people whispering in the background! They are exactly what I expexted and I don't regret getting them 1 bit ! Thanks for all of your input I will probably be asking for it again sometime lol.

Glad to hear you are liking the Mad Dogs. Dan is a mad scientist and he really hit the nail on the head with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back