Best can for up to $300 ?
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 148
Quote:
What's your reasoning? What makes them not worth $300?

Reasoning is that there are better headphones period. Yamaha has never been know for great sound quality, and really those headphones were made for a consumer market not a specialized one. If you are willing to spend 300$ on headphones, portable ones at that, I would expect a lot more than the Yahama's sound. They were congested, and really didn't have a great sound signature. I felt like they were all over the place, with decent bass.. but unrealistic mids, and the highs were thin. I would much rather get a pair of AKG 550's, Sennheiser Momentums, Amperiors, DT 880s, or even a pair of HE-400's if noise isolation isn't a huge issue. They aren't terribly bad headphones when I heard them, but they didn't produce 300$ quality sound.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 148
Quote:
Reasoning is that there are better headphones period. Yamaha has never been know for great sound quality, and really those headphones were made for a consumer market not a specialized one. If you are willing to spend 300$ on headphones, portable ones at that, I would expect a lot more than the Yahama's sound. They were congested, and really didn't have a great sound signature. I felt like they were all over the place, with decent bass.. but unrealistic mids, and the highs were thin. I would much rather get a pair of AKG 550's, Sennheiser Momentums, Amperiors, DT 880s, or even a pair of HE-400's if noise isolation isn't a huge issue. They aren't terribly bad headphones when I heard them, but they didn't produce 300$ quality sound.

I noticed you mentioned the DT880s ? I have been looking at those but I dont know what they have that the 770s dont, besides being silver... ? Also I really like the Hifi Man 300s, I have never listened to them but they look sweet & I have heard they are really good for acustic music. Would they be too loud to listen to on an airplane ?

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 148
Quote:

Never been known for their sound quality? They produced the NS10, the INDUSTRY standard for studio monitors. They are familiar with "specialized" markets.

And they don't sound congested. They're aggressive, but you can clearly pick out different instrumentation, and the frequencies are well separated. I know for damn sure they're less congested than Amperiors. Highs are really good, better than the piercing DT880s, so I don't know what you were hearing. And the mids are more realistic than the Denon D2000, which easily command $300 used. I havent heard the other sets so I won't comment. Exactly how long did you listen to them?

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 148
Quote:
I noticed you mentioned the DT880s ? I have been looking at those but I dont know what they have that the 770s dont, besides being silver... ? Also I really like the Hifi Man 300s, I have never listened to them but they look sweet & I have heard they are really good for acustic music. Would they be too loud to listen to on an airplane ?

They're more neutral and analytical. Less bass.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #22 of 148
Quote:
Never been known for their sound quality? They produced the NS10, the INDUSTRY standard for studio monitors. They are familiar with "specialized" markets.

And they don't sound congested. They're aggressive, but you can clearly pick out different instrumentation, and the frequencies are well separated. I know for damn sure they're less congested than Amperiors. Highs are really good, better than the piercing DT880s, so I don't know what you were hearing. And the mids are more realistic than the Denon D2000, which easily command $300 used. I havent heard the other sets so I won't comment. Exactly how long did you listen to them?

Not long, probably 30 minutes with a few different portable setups. Yahama is past their prime in the audio industry, and I'm not talking about studio monitors because they don't sell studio monitor drivers and designs in their consumer market products. I guess we disagree on the Amperiors, because they are said they be very neutral, clear sounding portable headphones.. and known by many to have the best audiophile sound in a portable product. I do agree the mids are more realistic than the D2Ks though, and that sound be obvious even if a person hasn't heard them. The D2K are not even close to being flat, they have a V shaped sound signature, which is probably the farthest thing from realistic on most tracks. Again, I'm not bashing the Yahama's simply saying I think they're better options in the price range.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 148
Quote:

They are better than the DT770 in every way IMO. They are have more clarity, refinement, and better imaging than the DT770. They are also less bass heavy, with a more neutral frequency response. They also have better treble, which is the major plus over the DT770. They are never harsh, and really are a great headphone for a tremendous value. I've seen them as low as 150 used, in excellent condition here on FS forums. I think you love them, if you like acoustic music. They do isolate noise some because they are closed, but no as well as some. I would say that you should be fine on an airplane as long as you don't listen to your music at very high volumes. Good luck!

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #24 of 148
Quote:
Not long, probably 30 minutes with a few different portable setups. Yahama is past their prime in the audio industry, and I'm not talking about studio monitors because they don't sell studio monitor drivers and designs in their consumer market products. I guess we disagree on the Amperiors, because they are said they be very neutral, clear sounding portable headphones.. and known by many to have the best audiophile sound in a portable product. I do agree the mids are more realistic than the D2Ks though, and that sound be obvious even if a person hasn't heard them. The D2K are not even close to being flat, they have a V shaped sound signature, which is probably the farthest thing from realistic on most tracks. Again, I'm not bashing the Yahama's simply saying I think they're better options in the price range.

Agree to disagree, but I wouldn't be so strong in my opinion based on 30 minutes. And I feel the Amperiors aren't that neutral. There's a obvious bump in the mid-bass and treble. And when I say congested, I mean more closed in. They are very good headphones though, and do indeed separate well.

And in regards to Yamaha: The HS line and MSP line are still very highly regarded. And they produce the eph100 which are loved here.

Quote:
Ok yeah that sounds more of what I would enjoy. I like a lot of differant music lots of classic hip hop, classic rock, acousitic, regge, im all over the place so maybe a well balanced headphone would suit me ?

I wouldn't suggest them for hip hop at all. Hip hop usually isn't mastered as well, and there were plenty of times where the rappers vocals were piercing. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 148
Thanks man im really starting to lean towards the DT880s, I found them brand new for $230 in the 250 ohm version. I cant seem to find them in the 80 ohm version..I would rather buy new because than I know exactly what to expect. Its hard to judge when buying used headphones IMO because people could say 10 hours of listening time on them when their was really 3 days I probablywouldnt beable to tell lol. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 148
Quote:
Agree to disagree, but I wouldn't be so strong in my opinion based on 30 minutes. And I feel the Amperiors aren't that neutral. There's a obvious bump in the mid-bass and treble. And when I say congested, I mean more closed in. They are very good headphones though, and do indeed separate well.

And in regards to Yamaha: The HS line and MSP line are still very highly regarded. And they produce the eph100 which are loved here.

I wouldn't suggest them for hip hop at all. Hip hop usually isn't mastered as well, and there were plenty of times where the rappers vocals were piercing. 

I understand where you are coming from, and I very well could have changed the way I felt about the Yams if I had more time with them, but I trust my ears and from what I heard... I felt like other headphones in the same price bracket where better overall. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 148
Does anyone know if they still make the Beyer DT880s in an 80ohm version ? I cant seem to find them anywhere!! I would be willing to get an amp for the 250s if they dont make the 80s anymore. Also I realllyyy like the HiFi Mans He-300 & He-400s. Anyone know anything about the HiFis? I know they are open and more succeptible to sound leakage but how much ?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #28 of 148
Quote:
Does anyone know if they still make the Beyer DT880s in an 80ohm version ? I cant seem to find them anywhere!! I would be willing to get an amp for the 250s if they dont make the 80s anymore. Also I realllyyy like the HiFi Mans He-300 & He-400s. Anyone know anything about the HiFis? I know they are open and more succeptible to sound leakage but how much ?

From the Amazon page it shows they are only available in 32, 250, and 600 ohms. http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-880-Premium-250/dp/B000F2BLTM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back