CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 1, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #11,161 of 31,833
I'm wondering, how's the Havi B3 Pro1 today compared to the new generation iems under 100dollars?

I won't be able to answer directly as I haven't heard Havi B3 but I've seen a bunch of comparisons with HiFiMAN RE400 - they are quite comparable. I think that re400 is still one of the best <100$ IEMs so...

Modern IEMs that we are talking about here have a lot of potential but rarely can they compare long term with standard good budget IEMs. They sound impressive at first and then they show weaknesses the more you listen to them, where re400 for example won't blow you away but they will always sound good as there is not a lot of makeup to peek under. Most of this is, I believe, due to a high number of budget hybrids that have potent BAs that they just put in the nozzle without much consideration (and only some of them end up being somewhat good in the long run).

As far as I am concerned, I'd take Sony MH1c or re400 over pretty much all of the IEMs that we are talking about here (TinAudio T2 being the exception), but this thread is golden because the future is here, we can all feel that big things are coming our way - by professional tuning or by chance, take your pick.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #11,163 of 31,833
Considering we can still buy a few of their older, cheaper models, I don't see the problem of them trying to up the ante on their newer models. I've had several pals wondering what can KZ do if they're not restrained by market price and the upcoming 12 driver and 10BA will definitely pique their curiosity.

Somehow expecting them to offer something like the ZSR or the recent ES4 for sub $5 is a bit unreasonable since they're already great value even at current prices.

More so when more KZ are released and the prices drop (which is why I condone the flurry of new models coming out). Getting the ED9 for like $6 was brilliant (though being as heavy as the ED8 was a bit of a turnoff). In fact this is what I usually recommend to people, don't get caught up in the latest and just buy in when impressions are well established with prices going down to normal values.
I’d say, the KZ we love for it’s extreme budget offerings still exists.

The ZSR and ES4 offer insane value for money. They’re tremendous.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #11,164 of 31,833
Considering we can still buy a few of their older, cheaper models, I don't see the problem of them trying to up the ante on their newer models. I've had several pals wondering what can KZ do if they're not restrained by market price and the upcoming 12 driver and 10BA will definitely pique their curiosity.

Somehow expecting them to offer something like the ZSR or the recent ES4 for sub $5 is a bit unreasonable since they're already great value even at current prices.

More so when more KZ are released and the prices drop (which is why I condone the flurry of new models coming out). Getting the ED9 for like $6 was brilliant (though being as heavy as the ED8 was a bit of a turnoff). In fact this is what I usually recommend to people, don't get caught up in the latest and just buy in when impressions are well established with prices going down to normal values.

Screenshot_2018-06-01-05-32-41.png

Screenshot_2018-06-01-05-02-30.png

Screenshot_2018-06-01-05-07-33.png

Screenshot_2018-06-01-05-05-15.png

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #11,165 of 31,833
After reading your impressions and thoughts for the second time - I enjoyed it the first time - I am reminded that most of the knee-jerk reactions to the ZS10 fail to inform the reader of their "preferred" sound signature which plays a huge part in one's bias.

Three years ago I ordered two of the KZ ATE. They did sound good but they were not my preferred sound signature. When KZ issued the ATR (which was/is a modified ATE sound signature) I praised KZ's efforts without restraint. I still stand by my original thoughts and impressions of the ATR and the ATE(ii).

When I first received the ZS5(i) I was impressed with the end result though I wasn't fond of the recessed midrange. However, pairing the ZS5(i) with an agreeable DAP and agreeable eartips nearly caused me to do a 180° turnaround from my initial impressions. For my ears the ZS5(i) now sits in KZ's all-time top five. I would not have bestowed that honor given my first impression of them.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-zs5.22479/reviews

Impressions and feedback hold much more weight if they are prefaced with the preferred sound signature of the OP and the source (smartphone, DAP, etc.) the OP used. In addition, the particular eartip may not be necessary but whether or not the eartip is silicone or foam would be helpful. All of the aforementioned would help paint a clearer picture.

Before I step away from the podium......

.....I have to ask:

Is the ZS10 KZ's attempt to offer a more refined ATE sound signature which was full-bodied with good timbre and slightly muted treble)? Apparently, the ZS10 with it's superior imaging, layering and separation may be just what some have been wanting from KZ.

Is it so or is it a different animal altogether?

Agree 100% on preferred signature notation.

Also agree on your ATE thinking. I was also thinking the ZS10 was meant to be an improved ATE or ATR. I don't own the original ATE but a 2018 ATR and the ZS10. I felt there were definitely some similarities in the signature (freq curve). I don't think they are bad, I think jacked up treble head phones or jacked up bass headphones get people excited more than something that is meant to be a slightly bass tilted headphone with a mild V, and mellow treble. The ZS10 is not what people expected or anticipated (Maybe an improved ZS6?), but I have to agree I think maybe they went back to their roots and tried to improve on that.

I find the ZS6 way to bright and sibilant for anything other than low volume listening. That is good where I don't want volume. I also like warmer sounding ones when I plan on listening at higher volumes for extended periods. I also like sparkly (but not sibilant) sounding ones when I want a short term higher volume session.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #11,167 of 31,833
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #11,169 of 31,833
I bought my KSC75 from AmazonUK so luckily I had no import duties. Of course the price was a bit more than the Amazon.com price ...probably for that reason. Already factored in.

They are so comfortable. I think of them as a giant bud:)

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #11,170 of 31,833
I received ED16 yesterday and left them burning in with pink noise for a couple of hours. I'll compare them to KZ ZSR as they're the only IEM's I've got from KZ. First impression is that ED16 is smaller and less bulky than ZSR (flatter in shape and less width than ZSR) and it seems to adapt better to my ears. The nozzle is back to "normal size" (not oversized like ZSR) so I've had to switch to foam tips because I found the stock tips to be small compared to the big ZSR nozzle. Regarding sound quality, I find them better than ZSR in a couple of aspects: the bass isn't as prominent -or "dark"- as in ZSR which helps emphasize mids and brings a more balanced tuning, and the treble seems to have a bit more definition than ZSR, giving them a bigger, wider and especially more balanced soundstage which I find more appealing than ZSR. There's also a slight increase instrument separation. In fact, after listening & comparing thoroughly ZSR and ED16, I don't want to go back to ZSR, which I now find more muddy and less detailed, with too much emphasis on the low-end. (I'm not saying ZSR are bad, I have enjoyed them so much, but I find ED16 more balanced and enjoyable to listen).

I wish I could compare them to other KZ IEM's (especially to ES4 due to the positive feedback it's receiving) , but one spanish audiophile reviewer on Youtube says ED16 are the best sounding IEM's from KZ right after ZS10 (not far away from those)
18c58z.jpg
the first impressions of kz ed16 from kz impressions thread

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #11,171 of 31,833
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #11,173 of 31,833
Back to the Rose North Forest, that has been getting burried by a few bad impressions to counter the few excellent ones.
A/B vs IT01: The lower end is impressive as it dives deep and nicely alike the IT01, while my other IEMs in the price point play the mid bass game. It might even be overbearing, but it is the star of the show:L3000:. It reminds me of the Swinginess found it something that cannot be discussed, but with better bass and less sibilance, by memory.

Mid fans would be disappointed, but for things like electro (jean michel jarre) and whatnot, it's surprisingly good and very atmospheric, although less detailed than the IT01, it sounds closer to the IT01 than the KZ ZS5 in tuning.

It is definitely not a bad IEM, but the cable is a bit of a let down as nowadays you get removables at this price range. Not to mention my missing MIC that I ordered, that pissed me off too much to make a proper assessment but that is personal :angry:
Anyway, 1 thumb up, does very well with jazz and things that need a gentle rumble in bass that is missing in most sub 30euro IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #11,174 of 31,833
Back to the Rose North Forest, that has been getting burried by a few bad impressions to counter the few excellent ones.
A/B vs IT01: The lower end is impressive as it dives deep and nicely alike the IT01, while my other IEMs in the price point play the mid bass game. It might even be overbearing, but it is the star of the show:L3000:. It reminds me of the Swinginess found it something that cannot be discussed, but with better bass and less sibilance, by memory.

Mid fans would be disappointed, but for things like electro (jean michel jarre) and whatnot, it's surprisingly good and very atmospheric, although less detailed than the IT01, it sounds closer to the IT01 than the KZ ZS5 in tuning.

It is definitely not a bad IEM, but the cable is a bit of a let down as nowadays you get removables at this price range. Not to mention my missing MIC that I ordered, that pissed me off too much to make a proper assessment but that is personal :angry:
Anyway, 1 thumb up, does very well with jazz and things that need a gentle rumble in bass that is missing in most sub 30euro IEMs.

I think the complaints haven't been that they sound bad, but that they have poor quality - crooked housing assembly, L/R volume mismatches, and drivers dying after a few weeks.

Ignoring the QC problems, I have read nothing but good things about their sonic qualitied.

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #11,175 of 31,833
I think the complaints haven't been that they sound bad, but that they have poor quality - crooked housing assembly, L/R volume mismatches, and drivers dying after a few weeks.

Ignoring the QC problems, I have read nothing but good things about their sonic qualitied.
mine died after 4 days because the wire broke from inside maybe due to my rubber band trick but i made sure that the rubber was loose and the loop to deal with straight connector was big but still it died on me(no marks of rubber band on the cable too).
i will be getting my replacement maybe in 2nd or 3rd week of july

Users who are viewing this thread

Back