CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 2, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #11,176 of 31,845
I think the complaints haven't been that they sound bad, but that they have poor quality - crooked housing assembly, L/R volume mismatches, and drivers dying after a few weeks.

Ignoring the QC problems, I have read nothing but good things about their sonic qualitied.

mine died after 4 days because the wire broke from inside maybe due to my rubber band trick but i made sure that the rubber was loose and the loop to deal with straight connector was big but still it died on me(no marks of rubber band on the cable too).
i will be getting my replacement maybe in 2nd or 3rd week of july
Mine still works even though the abominable production quality - but I don’t love using them. Upper mids can be too loud (that ‘OMG let’s lower the volume!’ effect), lower mids can sound too distant. I remember songs of Muse sounding extremely weird on them.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #11,177 of 31,845
Mine still works even though the abominable production quality - but I don’t love using them. Upper mids can be too shouty (that ‘OMG let’s lower the volume!’ effect), lower mids can sound too distant. I remember songs of Muse sounding extremely weird on them.

i didn't perceive upper mids as shouty but rather too strong maybe to compensate for dominant mid bass
because of these 2 dominant ranges the lower mids sound distant in music
by lowering the volume this effect is reduced but maybe this problem can be fixed with proper burn-in and eq
the high mids are definitely super duper strong but i never found it piercing.
i maybe wrong but thats what i perceived in 4 days of use

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #11,178 of 31,845
mine died after 4 days because the wire broke from inside maybe due to my rubber band trick but i made sure that the rubber was loose and the loop to deal with straight connector was big but still it died on me(no marks of rubber band on the cable too).
i will be getting my replacement maybe in 2nd or 3rd week of july

Rubber band trick?

324583DB-6204-423C-BB55-FC4253D299A2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #11,179 of 31,845
Rubber band trick?
i made a loop of wire with a rubber band at connector end to reduce strain at connector as the 3.5mm port is on top
of my source(oneplus 2 phone)
the wire bends quite dangerously when phone is held straight normally which worried me a lot so i did this nifty trick to convert straight connector to L-shape connector style

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #11,180 of 31,845
i made a loop of wire with a rubber band at connector end to reduce strain at connector as the 3.5mm port is on top
of my source(oneplus 2 phone)
the wire bends quite dangerously when phone is held straight normally which worried me a lot so i did this nifty trick to convert straight connector to L-shape connector style

Interesting! Nice idea.

It's sad there's not a proper strain relief on the stock cable though, as it would negate the need for such a mod.

You can always cut off the straight end and solder on a 90-degree plug.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #11,183 of 31,845
Any recommendations for something near-but-under $100 that has a Shure-type body and at least a dynamic or hybrid driver? Something like the Magaosi Y3. Not the "fiio f9" or Kinera Seed type body though.

SEMKARCH SKC-CNT1? that's the most recent model I've seen recommended over on the discovery thread that have a shure-like shell.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #11,184 of 31,845
Back to the Rose North Forest, that has been getting burried by a few bad impressions to counter the few excellent ones.
A/B vs IT01: The lower end is impressive as it dives deep and nicely alike the IT01, while my other IEMs in the price point play the mid bass game. It might even be overbearing, but it is the star of the show:L3000:. It reminds me of the Swinginess found it something that cannot be discussed, but with better bass and less sibilance, by memory.

Mid fans would be disappointed, but for things like electro (jean michel jarre) and whatnot, it's surprisingly good and very atmospheric, although less detailed than the IT01, it sounds closer to the IT01 than the KZ ZS5 in tuning.

It is definitely not a bad IEM, but the cable is a bit of a let down as nowadays you get removables at this price range. Not to mention my missing MIC that I ordered, that pissed me off too much to make a proper assessment but that is personal :angry:
Anyway, 1 thumb up, does very well with jazz and things that need a gentle rumble in bass that is missing in most sub 30euro IEMs.

A number of people have reported QC issues with the RNF, but mine are pretty much perfect, QC wise. Sound wise, I do not find them that engaging, although they do a number of things well. They are a little shouty for me, at least out of my FIIO Q1, so they become fatiguing to listen to for a long time. So far, I am still using the stock tips with them. I will probably try them with KZ or Tennmak Whirlwinds or with the KZ starlines.

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #11,186 of 31,845
A number of people have reported QC issues with the RNF, but mine are pretty much perfect, QC wise. Sound wise, I do not find them that engaging, although they do a number of things well. They are a little shouty for me, at least out of my FIIO Q1, so they become fatiguing to listen to for a long time. So far, I am still using the stock tips with them. I will probably try them with KZ or Tennmak Whirlwinds or with the KZ starlines.
even with source as a phone you can't listen to RNF at 100% volume without eq let alone amplifying these iems

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #11,189 of 31,845
Any recommendations for something near-but-under $100 that has a Shure-type body and at least a dynamic or hybrid driver? Something like the Magaosi Y3. Not the "fiio f9" or Kinera Seed type body though.

Magaosi K3 HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back