Best Budget Headphones
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:
(1) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, $30-$45. Deep punchy lows, slightly recessed mids, bright highs. #1#2
(1) JVC HARX700, $30-$65. "A poor mans A700." Thumpy/muddy bass, decent mids, decent highs. #1
(1-B) Sony MDR XB500, $45-$75. Comfortable. Strong bass, recessed mids, decent highs. #1#2

Could someone explain this terminology please? Bright highs, Muddy bass, recessed mids? :/

Out of those three , I have the first two and would definitely recommend the JVC rx700s. They just sound great with pretty much everything. Very balanced. They do need about 20 hrs of burn-in and all the way up to 200 hrs for these cans to reach their full potential. They are good for home use though. Very large cans. Just read some of the reviews here and on Amazon. Its praised pretty heavily.  The Panasonics are good also but they do not have the detail the Rx700s have. What I hear is the XB500s are bass monsters so I don't think they are good for some genres. Thats my experience so hopefully it will help ya.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 37
have the xb500, yes, very heavy bass but sound quality did not really impress me. the inside of the pads may tough your ears but they are very soft pleather and are very comfortable. the headphone is also pretty big, they do come with a bag for carrying them around.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 37
Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know after solid research, I've bought the AD700! Got a great deal off Ebay at only £40 so I went for it, thanks for all the help, didn't know jack squat till I found this site. xD

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 37
are you sure they are real?!

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 37
Congrats on the new cans, I started out on the AD700's and most blown away!

Audio Technica will make you happy but just beware...once you get a taste you WILL go back for more!!

Enjoy the new headphones!

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #24 of 37
Not trying to rain on your parade, but IMO the AD700 is a bad choice for classical, bass heavy gaming and rock...all due to the weak bass impact. It has some impressive qualities, but not sure it's the right set of cans for your uses. Though it's always good to try different phones to find your preferred sound, so these might just be a step into your next pair.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:
Gotta love fleabay, enjoy!

Haha, yhupp, I get all my stuff from there. xD

Quote:
Congrats on the new cans, I started out on the AD700's and most blown away!

Audio Technica will make you happy but just beware...once you get a taste you WILL go back for more!!

Enjoy the new headphones!

Thanks :D, they're pretty much my first cans too, although I did have a £5 set of Sonys from the markets a few years ago, that counts I'm sure. xD Yeah, I've read reviews and they sound amazing, I'll be getting an amp too, I'm really curious if I'll be able to really appreciate the difference because I've never had a decent set of headphones tbh.
Quote:
Not trying to rain on your parade, but IMO the AD700 is a bad choice for classical, bass heavy gaming and rock...all due to the weak bass impact. It has some impressive qualities, but not sure it's the right set of cans for your uses. Though it's always good to try different phones to find your preferred sound, so these might just be a step into your next pair.

No worries, I had though the AD700s were the best for classical, and instrumentals. :/ Yeah, I was considering the M50s but they always go at such high prices. Yeah, I'm just experimenting atm tbh, I've never really had a proper set of cans, so everything should sound better regardless! I'm considering getting an amp, or building in a good soundcard for my PC, do you think that would help?

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #26 of 37
Don't waste your money on crap. If you are going to use it as a desktop listening can and you game you want big soundstage and good imaging for positional accuracy. And you need bass. Would not recommend really recommend anything Koss except Porta Pros, their bass tends to be crap. Look at the Superlux 661 / Samson SR 850. We can get them in the states for less than $50 (30 quid). I use that daily and LOVE it.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 37
Get the PX100-II.

All the guys who posted before me don't know what they are talking about (duck for cover
eek.gif
).

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 37
I no longer use the AD700's these days but I did pull them out to try with my Fiio E17/E9 dac/amp combo and found it to sound great!

The Ad700's really don't need an amp but if you're already looking it can't hurt to try for yourself!

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 37
I started with the AD700 as well, and although I've now moved on, I listened to a lot of ambient music and found them fine. Definitely try them for a while before you start thinking about something else!

As for amps, I used mine out of a portable Corda 3Move and they sounded noticeably better than out of my iPod, but it wasn't a massive difference. They are easy to drive. But if you do end up buying a decent amp, you will be in a better position for when you decide to upgrade in the future. You can get some pretty good amps fairly cheaply nowadays; I've heard fairly good things about Fiio amps at the lower end and Matrix and Corda amps if you're willing to spend a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back