Best budget amp for the hd650
Nov 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 19
cwall64,
I just upgraded the E7 to the E17 to drive my HD650 when I am mobile in the house and appreciate the difference. In fact I think the soundstage is better and more airier without the E9. I wondered whether you agree using the E09K or perhaps am I using the wrong set up -  currently E17 on lo passthough with E9 on high gain? I am starting to think its time to get rid of the E9 and opt for something more? But then again my budget is tight.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 19
I don't know about the newer offerings from Fiio but my friend as an old Tianyun (sp?) Zero D/A Converter that he seems to like very much. Considering that you can pick up a new one from ebay for ~$150 I'd consider that.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:
cwall64,
I just upgraded the E7 to the E17 to drive my HD650 when I am mobile in the house and appreciate the difference. In fact I think the soundstage is better and more airier without the E9. I wondered whether you agree using the E09K or perhaps am I using the wrong set up -  currently E17 on lo passthough with E9 on high gain? I am starting to think its time to get rid of the E9 and opt for something more? But then again my budget is tight.

Adding to this I have found some info regarding the E9 with highgain and it appears to colour the sound somewhat in that everything appears a bit more punchy on the expense of soundstage - noted exactly the same. I then switched the E9 gain off and presto there is very little change in soundstage or added colouration when compared to E17 direct out and fed to the HD650. Also note quite a remarkable difference to the old E7 soundstage. Great piece of kit for the budget.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 19
If you can find a 2nd hand Xcan v3, best amp I've heard with the 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back