Best bang for the buck headphone?
Oct 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #61 of 79
Well deals on Head Fi work simmilar to eBay, all payments are done through Pay Pal. DO NOT gift a payment, if you gift you have no protection. Additionally if you are farmilliar with buying n selling on eBay then use your knowledge to spot "frauds" here as well. 

Also check out this link to get up to date on what scams are running around head fi atm 
http://www.head-fi.org/a/beware-of-the-following-scams-and-people-abusing-the-classifieds

and with regards to the Add you mentioned, I'd buy from him. He has a little bit of Feed Back on the current system, as well as some on Head Fi's old Feed Back thingy. Additionally with over 1000 posts in 5 years, that's about 16 posts per mouth, or one every other day.

What that tells me is he's regular, and if he's regular the risk of "scamming" might not be worth losing a Head Fi account over. Of course always be careful, and since you are a new member and a new Buyer, do link him to your eBay feed back as transactions work both ways. An remember he's just a human, so we humans do forget stuff. That said ask any and all questions before you send ANY money 

Okay I have just sent money to his paypal by clicking on the send money tab on paypal then putting his email in, the amount, and then clicked on paying for items/services, etc. Did I do this correctly I hope? He seems nice (which doesn't mean anything I know) and hopefully this will go smoothly!

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #62 of 79
Okay I have just sent money to his paypal by clicking on the send money tab on paypal then putting his email in, the amount, and then clicked on paying for items/services, etc. Did I do this correctly I hope? He seems nice (which doesn't mean anything I know) and hopefully this will go smoothly!

Yea I would keep the more sensitive cash comments for Private Messages, but if you and He agree'd on a price and what not and he gave you his email, then pay pal is the way to go.

Make sure you get tracking as well, in the event that you do not or he says that he "cant provide it" contact pay pal asap. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #63 of 79
Yea I would keep the more sensitive cash comments for Private Messages, but if you and He agree'd on a price and what not and he gave you his email, then pay pal is the way to go.

Make sure you get tracking as well, in the event that you do not or he says that he "cant provide it" contact pay pal asap. 

Okay everything is good so far. I don't think I am going to get an amp/dac combo with my m50x's, I am just going to get an amp. What portable amp would you suggest?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #64 of 79
Okay everything is good so far. I don't think I am going to get an amp/dac combo with my m50x's, I am just going to get an amp. What portable amp would you suggest?

I would recommend you at least get a Fiio E07k, it'll improve the sound of your PC and your iPod n amp your headphones nicely 

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #65 of 79
Hfi580

Pros: punchy bass, good clarity, vocals don't sound muffled, decent soundstage for a closed hp without sounding thin, decent clamp for portability without being uncomfortable, easy to drive, replaceable velour pads, does not distort easily.

Cons: comes with a long cable, cable not detachable, stock pleather pads might not be for everyone

There are a lot of "upgrade-from-m50" threads around, check them out.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #66 of 79
Okay thanks for all the help and suggestions I have just ordered the ath-m50x's and the Fiio E07K. Once they get here i will do a short review right out of the box, which may not be the best but just my first impressions of how they sound with and without the amp/dac.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #67 of 79
The Panasonic RP-HTX7 fit all of your requirements, except I don't believe the pads are replaceable. The HTX7's have an emphasized bass, low impedance, are COMPLETELY over-ear (I've worn these for five hours straight, not the slightest discomfort), and has pretty good highs and mids. Here is a review of them on CNET: http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-rp-htx7/

These are the best sound I've heard for below 70$. They also look very cool, if that's important to you at all.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #70 of 79
I will wait for your impressions and I m pretty sure you will be satisfied !

Everything should be here by mid next week and hopefully it will satisfy me! Does anyone have the Fiio E07k + m50x's (or older m50's) who could give some feedback or even just feedback about the sound quality the E07K produces?

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #73 of 79
My m50x's, e07k, and ipod classic arrived today. First impressions of the m50x's right out of the box: I couldn't tell much of a difference between them and the older m50's except for the bass. To me there was an audible difference although not much the m50x's did hit a bit harder. I didn't realize how much of a difference there really was between open and closed headphones until I got to try out a few different pairs (Fidelio X1's and HD650's). The soundstage to me is not even comparable going from the open pairs to these m50x's. I think if I could get the amount of bass that these m50x's have or maybe even a bit more out of a decently low impedence open headphone it would be amazing except for the fact that it would leak. It sucks that you can't have the best of both worlds with the clarity and amazing soundstage of open headphones paired with the bass response of a closed pair.

Pairing the m50x's with the E07K and either my laptop or the ipod make these sound even better and the fact that I can individually adjust the treble, bass, etc. is lovely. I really do like the bass on these cans but I like my bass so I did end up bumping it up to +4 and it hits hard. The soundstage as I said isn't comparable to the other cans I mentioned but it's pretty good for a closed pair. The mids and highs are very clear and lively without being harsh. Overall I love the sound of them when paired with the E07K but as I said I wish I could have the soundstage and clarity of an open headphone but also the isolation and bass response of a closed pair such as these.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #74 of 79
My m50x's, e07k, and ipod classic arrived today. First impressions of the m50x's right out of the box: I couldn't tell much of a difference between them and the older m50's except for the bass. To me there was an audible difference although not much the m50x's did hit a bit harder. I didn't realize how much of a difference there really was between open and closed headphones until I got to try out a few different pairs (Fidelio X1's and HD650's). The soundstage to me is not even comparable going from the open pairs to these m50x's. I think if I could get the amount of bass that these m50x's have or maybe even a bit more out of a decently low impedence open headphone it would be amazing except for the fact that it would leak. It sucks that you can't have the best of both worlds with the clarity and amazing soundstage of open headphones paired with the bass response of a closed pair.

Pairing the m50x's with the E07K and either my laptop or the ipod make these sound even better and the fact that I can individually adjust the treble, bass, etc. is lovely. I really do like the bass on these cans but I like my bass so I did end up bumping it up to +4 and it hits hard. The soundstage as I said isn't comparable to the other cans I mentioned but it's pretty good for a closed pair. The mids and highs are very clear and lively without being harsh. Overall I love the sound of them when paired with the E07K but as I said I wish I could have the soundstage and clarity of an open headphone but also the isolation and bass response of a closed pair such as these.

I think we all would like to get the best of both worlds but I'm pretty sure it wont happen ! You do not seem really hyped by your new headphones nor unsatisfied so it's not that bad ! Enjoy them for a couple of weeks/months and then try to get the HFI-580. The soundstage is a bit better in my opinion and the bass hits pretty hard when EQ'd to the max ! Peace ! 

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #75 of 79
I think we all would like to get the best of both worlds but I'm pretty sure it wont happen ! You do not seem really hyped by your new headphones nor unsatisfied so it's not that bad ! Enjoy them for a couple of weeks/months and then try to get the HFI-580. The soundstage is a bit better in my opinion and the bass hits pretty hard when EQ'd to the max ! Peace ! 

I have looked at a couple reviews of the 580's and I have seen some asking if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the pro 900's. So my question is which one should I go with if I were to switch? Also I have looked into high resolution audio players such as the iBasso DX50 and was wondering what the best one would be for under $300?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back