Best bang for the buck headphone?
Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #32 of 79
I have to vote for the M50's in this case. I have the M50's and the DT990's (like the DT770's but open). If you were listening to vocal or acoustic music the DT990's would win hands down for it's better upper frequency reproduction and better sound stage. With drum oriented music the M50's are the clear winner. Those cans put you right in front of the kit. They are more grainy in the upper frequencies but drums sound present and powerful. They absolutely kill for any music that is drum forward.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 79
Okay, I'm still not sure which I should get out of the ath-m50x, ath-ws99, and dt770 pro 80 ohms so I am going to make a list of priorities from most to least important and then hopefully that will make it easier for you guys to tell me which I should buy.

So from most to least important:
1. Good for rap/hip-hop as this is all I listen to
2. Very good bass without making mids and highs sound bad
3. Has velvet/velour earpads or can be replaced with them
4. Can be driven with Fiio E07K as I will use this with my iPhone

Not to say that number 4 on the list is not important but the others are a little more important. These don't have to be extremely portable but I do not want to have to sit down somewhere just to be able to have a good listening experience. Hopefully this will make it easier to tell me exactly which ones to get. Thanks!

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #34 of 79
Okay, I'm still not sure which I should get out of the ath-m50x, ath-ws99, and dt770 pro 80 ohms so I am going to make a list of priorities from most to least important and then hopefully that will make it easier for you guys to tell me which I should buy.

So from most to least important:
1. Good for rap/hip-hop as this is all I listen to
2. Very good bass without making mids and highs sound bad
3. Has velvet/velour earpads or can be replaced with them
4. Can be driven with Fiio E07K as I will use this with my iPhone

Not to say that number 4 on the list is not important but the others are a little more important. These don't have to be extremely portable but I do not want to have to sit down somewhere just to be able to have a good listening experience. Hopefully this will make it easier to tell me exactly which ones to get. Thanks!

1. M50 - these cans can thump.
2. M50 - for the same reason as 1
3. DT770 - but the M50's are reasonably comfortable. Don't know if the pads can be replaced.
4. I'm pretty sure all above will work with the e07k.

That's IMHO of course. I'd let you try mine but I have a feeling you are very far away from Cleveland Ohio!

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 79
1. M50 - these cans can thump.
2. M50 - for the same reason as 1
3. DT770 - but the M50's are reasonably comfortable. Don't know if the pads can be replaced.
4. I'm pretty sure all above will work with the e07k.

That's IMHO of course. I'd let you try mine but I have a feeling you are very far away from Cleveland Ohio!

Okay thanks for the answer! The pads on the m50's can be replaced I have found ones that are specifically sold for the ath-m series on amazon and I think are even sold by audio technica. And actually I live in Athens, Ohio about 2 hours away haha.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #36 of 79
M50 and DT770 are studio monitors so pretty neutral in sound,WS99 is more bass heavy but still with good mids and highs....

I do not agree with this ... M50 and DT770 are not neutral at all. They both put the emphasis on the bass imo. They're still doing great on other frequencies but the bass is kinda more present. Jordann as I mentioned you can't go wrong with any of those 2. I think that the DT770 are more comfortable but it's always an opinion based on what I feel but you will be well served by both.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #37 of 79
Yeah I used to have the older m50s headphones and they put more emphasis on the bass although not much in my opinion. I have heard from reviews that the m50x's have increased the bass a few db so hopefully it will be more what I am looking for. Also, I couldn't stand the pleather because it made my ears so hot and sweaty but now that they have velour pads for them it should be much better. I am tempted to go with the dt770's because they have a larger frequency range, does this make them significantly better than the m50x's?

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 79
honestly if your looking at the 32 ohm DT 990, I would recommend you get a Fiio E11 $50 and a Beyerdyanmic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, which is YIKES $209, it's been about $150 for like 3 years 

anyways, there is a used DT 990 pro 250 ohm on the Head Fi For Sale Thread for $145, whats nice about buying from head fi members, if you 1) make a friend
2) get great deals [as we r not aloud to sell for profit] 

but for about $200 [used Headphone] or $270 {new Headphone] you can get a great headphone and an awesome bass boosting Amp. I liked listening to my DT 990 Pro 250 with the e11 2nd Bass Boost level for EDM and no boost for stuff like classical 

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #40 of 79
Okay I have decided to go with the ath-m50x's and am about to order them and the Fiio E07K. If someone could please quickly tell me how much of a difference there will be if I use a line out cable such as the Fiio L9 vs if I just plug it into the 3.5mm jack? Also should I get the E07K or a different portable amp/dac or just portable amp? Also one more question, how can I use these headphones (just for listening not for a mic obviously) with my xbox 360?

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #41 of 79
Okay I have decided to go with the ath-m50x's and am about to order them and the Fiio E07K. If someone could please quickly tell me how much of a difference there will be if I use a line out cable such as the Fiio L9 vs if I just plug it into the 3.5mm jack? Also should I get the E07K or a different portable amp/dac or just portable amp? Also one more question, how can I use these headphones (just for listening not for a mic obviously) with my xbox 360?

Start with this

it's like $2.50 and it has an Optical and what appears to maybe be a Analog Line out
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7526&CAWELAID=1329454627&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=COvA5fe7isECFTDl7AodYyUAYw

maybe get the Fiio E17 which has optical in so that you can use it do also Decode sound coming from your xBox and drive better headphones in teh future

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #42 of 79
Start with this

it's like $2.50 and it has an Optical and what appears to maybe be a Analog Line out
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7526&CAWELAID=1329454627&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=COvA5fe7isECFTDl7AodYyUAYw

maybe get the Fiio E17 which has optical in so that you can use it do also Decode sound coming from your xBox and drive better headphones in teh future

I was thinking about how either the e07k or the e17 connects to a pc through usb to be used as a dac would it work the same with my 360? Just plug it into the usb port on the front of it? Oh and thanks for the quick answer and recommendation!

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #43 of 79
I was thinking about how either the e07k or the e17 connects to a pc through usb to be used as a dac would it work the same with my 360? Just plug it into the usb port on the front of it? Oh and thanks for the quick answer and recommendation!

Well with a PC yea usb will work, with the Xbox 360, I'm really not sure. That link I sent you came from the Micro Soft page for Xbox 360, it should work as it what they recommend. I dont have a 360 so I can tell for my self, but Mono Price cables are super cheap and built SUPER WELL, Mono price makes a VERY GOOD cable, for not a lot of money. Bout the only MAGICAL thing here on head fi, so get the adapter and a Toslink Cable about 6 feet and throw in a 6 foot Rca to 3.5mm and Rca to Rca while your at it. You can get about 20 feet or so of quality cable and interconnectors for under $20 shipped! If you went to wal mart, you'd pay $20+ bucks for one of those

any who, the E17 is going to be Fiios only option with Optical In and will give you the best sound, the E07k with Rca to 3.5mm from your xbox [with that little adapter thingy] will give you Better sound

and if you just run a 3.5mm to 3/5mm cable from your headphone out to the input of the E07k you would get sufficent sound

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #44 of 79
Well with a PC yea usb will work, with the Xbox 360, I'm really not sure. That link I sent you came from the Micro Soft page for Xbox 360, it should work as it what they recommend. I dont have a 360 so I can tell for my self, but Mono Price cables are super cheap and built SUPER WELL, Mono price makes a VERY GOOD cable, for not a lot of money. Bout the only MAGICAL thing here on head fi, so get the adapter and a Toslink Cable about 6 feet and throw in a 6 foot Rca to 3.5mm and Rca to Rca while your at it. You can get about 20 feet or so of quality cable and interconnectors for under $20 shipped! If you went to wal mart, you'd pay $20+ bucks for one of those

any who, the E17 is going to be Fiios only option with Optical In and will give you the best sound, the E07k with Rca to 3.5mm from your xbox [with that little adapter thingy] will give you Better sound

and if you just run a 3.5mm to 3/5mm cable from your headphone out to the input of the E07k you would get sufficent sound

Great information! Okay now I have one more "problem," since I have an iPhone 5c it has the lightning connector instead of the old 30 pin. I would like to bypass the iPhone's amp and use the e17 like I have said. Is there a lightning to 3.5mm cable or something I can use to do line out to bypass the iPhone's amp? I have used a 30 pin to lightning adapter but I HATE it. Is there another solution to this?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #45 of 79
Great information! Okay now I have one more "problem," since I have an iPhone 5c it has the lightning connector instead of the old 30 pin. I would like to bypass the iPhone's amp and use the e17 like I have said. Is there a lightning to 3.5mm cable or something I can use to do line out to bypass the iPhone's amp? I have used a 30 pin to lightning adapter but I HATE it. Is there another solution to this?

http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Dashboard-Mounting-iPhone-Lighting/dp/B00GP3PB4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412135925&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+to+rca
$50

I'd say... no cheap options. 

Well there is

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=897273&gclid=CMzQ-bzJisECFTDl7AodYyUAYw&Q=&is=REG&A=details 
which you can use with
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442

The Fiio E18, with the USB Camera to Lighting adapter is your best option if your wanting to connector, to your PC, your Phone and your xBox. Ofc it costs more 
and it doesn't have Optical In so you won't be able to use it to act as the Dac for your xBox as well. So you could, use the xBox aseccory and use the RCA outs on it to go 3.5mm into the E18, and then use the E18 with your PC and Phone via USB 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back