Best bang for the buck headphone?
Oct 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #46 of 79
http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Dashboard-Mounting-iPhone-Lighting/dp/B00GP3PB4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412135925&sr=8-1&keywords=lightning+to+rca
$50

I'd say... no cheap options. 

Well there is

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=897273&gclid=CMzQ-bzJisECFTDl7AodYyUAYw&Q=&is=REG&A=details 
which you can use with
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442

The Fiio E18, with the USB Camera to Lighting adapter is your best option if your wanting to connector, to your PC, your Phone and your xBox. Ofc it costs more 
and it doesn't have Optical In so you won't be able to use it to act as the Dac for your xBox as well. So you could, use the xBox aseccory and use the RCA outs on it to go 3.5mm into the E18, and then use the E18 with your PC and Phone via USB 

Okay I think I may just have to not worry about using it with my xbox because it's more work than what I am going to get out of it but thank you very much for the options you have provided!

As for the iPhone situation I hate this connector but again as you said it costs much more for any other solution. Would it work if I were to get a lightning to mini/micro (whatever the e17 uses) usb cable? It would be the same as going from the e17 mini usb to usb as if I were going to plug it into the pc but instead into the iPhone I would assume.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #47 of 79
Okay I think I may just have to not worry about using it with my xbox because it's more work than what I am going to get out of it but thank you very much for the options you have provided!

As for the iPhone situation I hate this connector but again as you said it costs much more for any other solution. Would it work if I were to get a lightning to mini/micro (whatever the e17 uses) usb cable? It would be the same as going from the e17 mini usb to usb as if I were going to plug it into the pc but instead into the iPhone I would assume.

If you want to use the Dac with your iPhone get the E18 n this cable http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=897273&gclid=CMzQ-bzJisECFTDl7AodYyUAYw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

if you want to use the Dac with your xBox get the E17

With the Mono Price Adapter I linked earlier

there isn't to many options out right now that will work with all three units,

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #48 of 79
If you want to use the Dac with your iPhone get the E18 n this cable http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=897273&gclid=CMzQ-bzJisECFTDl7AodYyUAYw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

if you want to use the Dac with your xBox get the E17

With the Mono Price Adapter I linked earlier

there isn't to many options out right now that will work with all three units,

Okay I may just save up and buy an ipod classic 7th gen or 6th gen that uses the older 30 pin and just use that for music and just use my iPhone for everything else. The ipod classic 7th gen's are $400 on amazon?? Is this what the price was when they came out or? Is there any other good ipod that uses the older 30 pin that isn't so expensive but still good?

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #49 of 79
Okay I may just save up and buy an ipod classic 7th gen or 6th gen that uses the older 30 pin and just use that for music and just use my iPhone for everything else. The ipod classic 7th gen's are $400 on amazon?? Is this what the price was when they came out or? Is there any other good ipod that uses the older 30 pin that isn't so expensive but still good?

SO here's where things get tricky

you have a couple of options

http://www.head-fi.org/t/720386/ipod-classic-gen-5-bundles

Here's a used Gen 5 iPod from a head fi user for $75.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727174/audiominor-imod-5-5th-120-gb

one for $220

http://www.head-fi.org/t/734897/ipod-classic-160gb
another for $180

I would recommend browsing this thread, to find more deals. Head Fi members take good care of our gear. Best of all we do not sell for profit. As you can see I've had like 34 transactions here and each has gone very smoothly. I do recommend you ask any and all question, in addition to making any an all request for pictures know before you make payment just as part of a good communication, but buying used here on Head Fi is one of the best ways to get good gear at a discounted price. Ofc your only protection is the adminstrators, and pay pal. But in 34 transactions I've yet to have any issues with getting a broken product. Most guys here with 10+ feed back are well worth buying from. And you as a buyer only need to pay with a pay pal account promptly to well ensure a smooth transaction

As far as doing purchases on here, stick with people who accounts are at least a year old. People with at least 120 posts or more, avoid 0 feed back. Or if you have any questions feel free to ask me or any one of us on this thread of via pm

But, there are a good number of options out there. I would recommend getting an iPod for your music and using the Fiio E17, the down side is your iPod cannot Stream Music from services like Spotify or Pandora, but will give you a much simpler and imo better sounding setup over using a phone

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #50 of 79
SO here's where things get tricky

you have a couple of options

http://www.head-fi.org/t/720386/ipod-classic-gen-5-bundles

Here's a used Gen 5 iPod from a head fi user for $75.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727174/audiominor-imod-5-5th-120-gb

one for $220

http://www.head-fi.org/t/734897/ipod-classic-160gb
another for $180

I would recommend browsing this thread, to find more deals. Head Fi members take good care of our gear. Best of all we do not sell for profit. As you can see I've had like 34 transactions here and each has gone very smoothly. I do recommend you ask any and all question, in addition to making any an all request for pictures know before you make payment just as part of a good communication, but buying used here on Head Fi is one of the best ways to get good gear at a discounted price. Ofc your only protection is the adminstrators, and pay pal. But in 34 transactions I've yet to have any issues with getting a broken product. Most guys here with 10+ feed back are well worth buying from. And you as a buyer only need to pay with a pay pal account promptly to well ensure a smooth transaction

As far as doing purchases on here, stick with people who accounts are at least a year old. People with at least 120 posts or more, avoid 0 feed back. Or if you have any questions feel free to ask me or any one of us on this thread of via pm

But, there are a good number of options out there. I would recommend getting an iPod for your music and using the Fiio E17, the down side is your iPod cannot Stream Music from services like Spotify or Pandora, but will give you a much simpler and imo better sounding setup over using a phone

Okay I totally forgot about the deals you can get on here and that $180 6th gen looks very tempting to me. Is that seller trustworthy from what you can tell or based on your criteria? And also just to address your statement about spotify and pandora, thats no problem as I never use these :).

Edit: I asked the seller this as well as some other questions but I might as well ask you now, I usually buy and sell on ebay where there is a system of paying through (usually) paypal and then the buyer knows and ships it. How does the buying and selling work on a site like this?

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #51 of 79
Okay thanks for the answer! The pads on the m50's can be replaced I have found ones that are specifically sold for the ath-m series on amazon and I think are even sold by audio technica. And actually I live in Athens, Ohio about 2 hours away haha.

Wow, small world!!!

I would say the offer still stands but it sounds as though you've made your choice.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #52 of 79
Wow, small world!!!

I would say the offer still stands but it sounds as though you've made your choice.

Yeah haha thats exactly what I thought! And yes I have made the decision to go with the ath-m50x's. I know the sound signature and with a couple db added to the bass and a couple db off the treble hopefully they will be just a bit better. Thanks for the offer though :).

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #53 of 79
Can't you listen anything cause i heard the DT 770 and the bass is not that strong i read this too : OP comes from Beats to DT770 and isn't satisfied with bass. Beats are a very midbass focused headphone with punchy bass, DT770 is more a rumbly but softer bass,but does have a little more subbass.So choose wisely dude i think M50 and DT770 will not give you enough bass....

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #54 of 79
Can't you listen anything cause i heard the DT 770 and the bass is not that strong i read this too : OP comes from Beats to DT770 and isn't satisfied with bass. Beats are a very midbass focused headphone with punchy bass, DT770 is more a rumbly but softer bass. so again go for the WS99 you will not be disappointment

I cannot listen to anything before I buy I don't have any local places that have good headphones such as these on display. Also, I'm sorry but I don't remember mentioning beats? Also, I'm not going with the dt770 so I' confused as to why you are telling me not to go with them. Maybe I am not understanding what you're saying, please rephrase your question(s)/statements if I am wrong.

Edit: Okay sorry you must have edited :).

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #56 of 79
Then just order something and when you are not happy switch them with another one.And you did not mentioned beats no but the WS99 pounds a lot more then beats and DT770 is less then beats.....

Yes I always order from amazon so I can keep it for a month before deciding whether or not to keep it and if not then I still get a full refund. Also, I like the WS99's but they dont have an option of replaceable velour pads or at least not that I could find. Which others would you recommend that still meet my criteria?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #57 of 79
I can only recommand 1 other M-audio Q40 they have brutal bass and also descent mids and highs,they stopped making them but ebay has a couple.....you can buy very comfi pads for them,the Alpha pads.Or maybe Jvc SZ1000/2000 but have not listened to them......

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #58 of 79
I can only recommand 1 other M-audio Q40 they have brutal bass and also descent mids and highs,they stopped making them but ebay has a couple.....you can buy very comfi pads for them,the Alpha pads.Or maybe Jvc SZ1000/2000 but have not listened to them......

See when you say this I feel like saying it has brutal bass but has decent mids and highs it sounds like they are sacrificing the quality of the mids and highs for all the bass. I don't want the bass to be overpowering or have to sacrifice the mids and highs. I just want good all around sound quality with some emphasis on the bass.

How much of a difference in bass is there between the dt770's and m50x's? If there is a significant difference in the bass of these I will get the one with more bass presence. If not I might end up getting the 770's because they come with velour pads already. But they don't have the detachable cable which I like and the m50x's are much more portable.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #59 of 79
Because the WS99 are a bit better in mid and high because the bass is just so nice yet powerfull,the Q40's have more mid and subbass and because of that it's more present but still for the money a very good headphone with good mids and highs only WS99 does it a little better but you can't buy other good pads,so you can't have it all i sometimes say.....

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #60 of 79
Okay I totally forgot about the deals you can get on here and that $180 6th gen looks very tempting to me. Is that seller trustworthy from what you can tell or based on your criteria? And also just to address your statement about spotify and pandora, thats no problem as I never use these
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I asked the seller this as well as some other questions but I might as well ask you now, I usually buy and sell on ebay where there is a system of paying through (usually) paypal and then the buyer knows and ships it. How does the buying and selling work on a site like this?

Well deals on Head Fi work simmilar to eBay, all payments are done through Pay Pal. DO NOT gift a payment, if you gift you have no protection. Additionally if you are farmilliar with buying n selling on eBay then use your knowledge to spot "frauds" here as well. 

Also check out this link to get up to date on what scams are running around head fi atm 
http://www.head-fi.org/a/beware-of-the-following-scams-and-people-abusing-the-classifieds

and with regards to the Add you mentioned, I'd buy from him. He has a little bit of Feed Back on the current system, as well as some on Head Fi's old Feed Back thingy. Additionally with over 1000 posts in 5 years, that's about 16 posts per mouth, or one every other day.

What that tells me is he's regular, and if he's regular the risk of "scamming" might not be worth losing a Head Fi account over. Of course always be careful, and since you are a new member and a new Buyer, do link him to your eBay feed back as transactions work both ways. An remember he's just a human, so we humans do forget stuff. That said ask any and all questions before you send ANY money 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back