Best amp for K701 - my wallet is generous.
Oct 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #46 of 97
While I think the Woo 6 works well with these cans, I still prefer the Heed Canamp. It's just a good match and the price is not that high, either.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #47 of 97
I would also agree. The Heed Canamp did wonders with the K701 when I tried it.

Another alternative is the Musical fidelity X-CANV8P. It's a solid state/tube hybrid and sounds gorgeous. The sound is tube in tonality but very solid state in terms or power and dynamics.

Quote:
While I think the Woo 6 works well with these cans, I still prefer the Heed Canamp. It's just a good match and the price is not that high, either.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #48 of 97

Quote:
Arctica, I just need more detailed bass, I didn't mean to get wider bass.
Anyway, what's the main differences between H800 and K701 during this amp? (details, trans', etc')How K701 sounds in terms of details\trans'\treble during the Phonitor?

Thanks!

The bass is overall better on the HD800. HD800 goes deeper, has better control, and has a slight boost in quantity. Listen to some live tracks with the timpani instrument, the difference is huge. You should hear the strike, but you should also feel the lower frequencies. You get at least partial feeling through the HD800, that feeling is almost non-existent on K701.

K701 does treble quite well, it actually does good enough treble even if you don't have a good amp. A good amp is needed to bring the bass out. If your concern is merely bass details, I think you just need to get a good amp that boosts the low end. Details will come out with higher volume.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #49 of 97

Quote:
Quote:

The bass is overall better on the HD800. HD800 goes deeper, has better control, and has a slight boost in quantity. Listen to some live tracks with the timpani instrument, the difference is huge. You should hear the strike, but you should also feel the lower frequencies. You get at least partial feeling through the HD800, that feeling is almost non-existent on K701.

K701 does treble quite well, it actually does good enough treble even if you don't have a good amp. A good amp is needed to bring the bass out. If your concern is merely bass details, I think you just need to get a good amp that boosts the low end. Details will come out with higher volume.

The HD-800 don't have a better bass control, just a quantity boost on the bass compare to the K-702, and this why the 800's will get bass distortion before the K-702. BTW, the HD-800 are loud by 2db compare to the K-702 on the SPL's.

About the HD-800 treble on the SPL's...well this is a big problem for me, and this why I still with my 702's.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #50 of 97
Quote:
The HD-800 don't have a better bass control, just a quantity boost on the bass compare to the K-702, and this why the 800's will get bass distortion before the K-702.

I don't see why this would be true. Volume can increase distortion, but it's not the only indicator. Tyll measured less bass distortion on the HD800 than on the K701 or Q701.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #52 of 97
Thank you Arctia.
I understand that there sould be some differences between K701 and HD800 in the low-end, but what's about the rest?
how these two compare each other in terms like details, soundstage, transperncy and balacing?
It's something I always wanted to know from someone who tried those two in a really decent high-end amp.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #53 of 97
HD800 is basically improved version of K701.

The question is, whether the improvements are worh for extra 1200USD. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #54 of 97
Thank you Arctia.
I understand that there sould be some differences between K701 and HD800 in the low-end, but what's about the rest?
how these two compare each other in terms like details, soundstage, transperncy and balacing?
It's something I always wanted to know from someone who tried those two in a really decent high-end amp.

I heard both and honestly they sounded very similar at least to my ears they where some of the most similar sounding headphones from two different companies that I have heard. Its basically a refined K702 slightly more bass quantity and detail, slightly wider and more controlled soundstage, and slightly more detail overall though even brighter then the K702s which was just too bright for my ears. Whats interesting is on most amps its just ok but I heard it on both the Eddie Current ZDT and the Eddie Current Super 6 and both completely changed the HD800 sound. It made it warmer sounding and got rid of the harsh highs as well as other stuff I don't feel like getting into. But basically I loved the HD800 out of those amps and hated it out of most. Though I still prefer the LCD 2s and top end HIFIMAN stuff.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #55 of 97

Quote:
I heard both and honestly they sounded very similar at least to my ears they where some of the most similar sounding headphones from two different companies that I have heard. Its basically a refined K702 slightly more bass quantity and detail, slightly wider and more controlled soundstage, and slightly more detail overall though even brighter then the K702s which was just too bright for my ears. Whats interesting is on most amps its just ok but I heard it on both the Eddie Current ZDT and the Eddie Current Super 6 and both completely changed the HD800 sound. It made it warmer sounding and got rid of the harsh highs as well as other stuff I don't feel like getting into. But basically I loved the HD800 out of those amps and hated it out of most. Though I still prefer the LCD 2s and top end HIFIMAN stuff.

Yep. Personally I believe the 'bright' par is due to each headphones emphasize on different high frequency. Personally I find my HD800 very slightly brighter as well, but there are tons of people would disagree with me in both ways. 
k701smile.gif

Again, it is whether these improvements are worth for extra 1200 bucks. See, the price of the headphones skyrockets past $500 range just for some few improvements here and there. I feel K701 does about 85% of what HD800 does..... so you are paying about 6 times more for remaining 15%, which is just bad deal for most of people here, even in Head-Fi.

And to the OP : The best way to change the sound is not buying and such expensive amplifier for small differences in sound. You get different headphones. For your case, I strongly recommend you to buy HD650 and a decent amp. Headphones cost $360 from amazon. Pretty much any solid-state amp above $200 or tube amp above $500 can drive HD650 and K701 very well.  Heck, you just saved a couple of hundreds for better purpose.

Or you can get LCD-2, which itself does not need amp to sound good; your soundcard alone will drive them well, and loud.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #56 of 97

Quote:
HD800 is the one of the headphones with least distortion overall, indeed.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf

Definitely less distortion on bass area.

Acix, did you get your SA3000 by the way?

You know what the HD-800 owners say, "the HD-800 sounds the best at the lower volume"...and I wonder why? In real time with good music master you cant go with the HD-800 above 0 dB on the Auditor volume knob, the dynamic on the 800's will crash like on a chip smile curve EQ hps. On the other hand with the K-702 no signs of distortion at any volume, even above +3db ( very loud on the Auditor ).

BTW, the SA-3000 are on the way...

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #57 of 97

Yep. Personally I believe the 'bright' par is due to each headphones emphasize on different high frequency. Personally I find my HD800 very slightly brighter as well, but there are tons of people would disagree with me in both ways. 
k701smile.gif

Again, it is whether these improvements are worth for extra 1200 bucks. See, the price of the headphones skyrockets past $500 range just for some few improvements here and there. I feel K701 does about 85% of what HD800 does..... so you are paying about 6 times more for remaining 15%, which is just bad deal for most of people here, even in Head-Fi.

And to the OP : The best way to change the sound is not buying and such expensive amplifier for small differences in sound. You get different headphones. For your case, I strongly recommend you to buy HD650 and a decent amp. Headphones cost $360 from amazon. Pretty much any solid-state amp above $200 or tube amp above $500 can drive HD650 and K701 very well.  Heck, you just saved a couple of hundreds for better purpose.

Or you can get LCD-2, which itself does not need amp to sound good; your soundcard alone will drive them well, and loud.

I agree with this but I would also like to say that you can get a good tube amp for about $250 my lilttle dot MKIII puts out about 75% the overall quality that my Burson does and it cost considerably less.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 97

Quote:
You know what the HD-800 owners say, "the HD-800 sounds the best at the lower volume"...and I wonder why? In real time with good music master you cant go with the HD-800 above 0 dB on the Auditor volume knob, the dynamic on the 800's will crash like on a chip smile curve EQ hps. On the other hand with the K-702 no signs of distortion at any volume, even above +3db ( very loud on the Auditor ).

BTW, the SA-3000 are on the way...

.......That's very high volume. I really would worry about near-instant hearing loss even before we talk about distortion. >.>

Well, not sure if this particular amp or the headphones itself causing the problem, but isn't it best to trust objective measurement? From Tyll's measurement HD800 fare better than K701 (if we disregard individual pair difference.)

Didn't you say your SA-3000 were on the way.... for like a month ago? That's one hell of slow shipment.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #59 of 97

Quote:
I agree with this but I would also like to say that you can get a good tube amp for about $250 my lilttle dot MKIII puts out about 75% the overall quality that my Burson does and it cost considerably less.

Sure, these days I have hard time catching what's going in amplification section. There are plenty of cheap amps that can run headphones very well, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back