Best amp for K701 - my wallet is generous.
Oct 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #61 of 97

Quote:

.......That's very high volume. I really would worry about near-instant hearing loss even before we talk about distortion. >.>

Well, not sure if this particular amp or the headphones itself causing the problem, but isn't it best to trust objective measurement? From Tyll's measurement HD800 fare better than K701 (if we disregard individual pair difference.)

Didn't you say your SA-3000 were on the way.... for like a month ago? That's one hell of slow shipment.

Well measurement are fine, but in my business in the end of the day I need to trust my ears.
k701smile.gif

lol, about the 3K the time run faster and faster... and I think this was 2 weeks ago. I'm not in SF any more I moved back to the Holyland.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #62 of 97
I love running my q701 from my csp2+

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #63 of 97

Quote:

Hehehe, I think after 2 years of piercing treble they will probably agree with you on the "slightly brighter" especially with some SS amps.

Indeed, very fortunately they are tolerable enough.... at least with my rig (and it is SS.)

Quote:
Well measurement are fine, but in my business in the end of the day I need to trust my ears.
k701smile.gif

lol, about the 3K the time run faster and faster... and I think this was 2 weeks ago. I'm not in SF any more I moved back to the Holyland.

Yep, sometimes the incoherence between the measurement and perceived experience are too large enough to ask myself if current ways of measuring headphones are good enough.

I noticed you moved to Israel. Must be Customs doing the job.

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #64 of 97
Thank you Arctia.
I understand that there sould be some differences between K701 and HD800 in the low-end, but what's about the rest?
how these two compare each other in terms like details, soundstage, transperncy and balacing?
It's something I always wanted to know from someone who tried those two in a really decent high-end amp.

This may sound weird, but K701 is actually more intimate to my ears. Both have similar soundstage width, while HD800 has more depth. It's like pulling the music apart and lay it out around you for you to examine. I would say detail retrieval is actually closer than most people think, but HD800 wins purely due to its soundstage presentation. It's easier to pick out details when they're all spread apart for you. I can see this may bother some people. You are no longer listening to music as a coherent whole.

Both headphones have hot treble. Human hearing are more sensitive to treble, so it really bothers you if a peak happens to match your ear canal's resonance frequency.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #67 of 97
Oct 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #68 of 97
i'm currently using a WA6SE with the sofia princess 274B rectifier upgrade and i just love the k701's with them, the bass is very tight clean and goes down really deep, huge difference coming from a top tier tube amp vs the smaller amps which give the k701 the thin sound they are sometimes known for.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #70 of 97

Quote:
I would try the Burson HA160, warm and detailed, just takes awhile to warm up for a solid state. Once it does, that combo can really sing. If you want to go the tube route, try a Woo Audio WA6. Both amps have plenty of power to drive those hungry K701s.

Second.

I recently bought a pair of burnt-in K702s (basically the same thing) and when researching an amp for them, the Burson HA160 was the only thing that consistently recommended.

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #71 of 97
Perplexing isn't the word I'd use if the money came from my wallet. That aside, you're making an irrelevant point (if you're making one at all).
Quote:
To each his own. Did that $1000 come from your wallet?

If a mid-fi 'phone demands that sort of spending, the K701 must have one hell of a price:performance ratio. I disliked the K701, so I'd dispute whether it was a great value, but that isn't the reason I'm posting any of this.
Quote:
Not always the price is equal with the performances, in this case the AKG have a great value.

If this is his intention, I'll retract my earlier comment.
Quote:
Buying a $1k amp will still be ok most especially when he is going to need more headphones in the future. I think he will be safe.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #72 of 97
Mid-fi and high-fi is not all about the price tag. I have heard plenty of lower priced mid-fi phones and found them better than more expensive "top end" ones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #73 of 97
Mid-fi and high-fi is not all about the price tag. I have heard plenty of lower priced mid-fi phones and found them better than more expensive "top end" ones.

I agree with this, some just prefer the sound of some of the "mid-fi" cans and want to get the most they can out of them, hence the expensive amps for not so expensive phones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #74 of 97
higher price doesn't always mean its better...

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #75 of 97
I have an amp that retails for around 1k and none of my headphones are really that expensive when compared to a HD800, T1, etc. I don't really see the problem with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back