Best amp for K701 - my wallet is generous.
Oct 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 97

Quote:
I have a Burson and can third the vote but if you have lots of money there is better.

Warm and transparent, using the Q701's. (pretty much the same i think)

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 97
Warm and transparent, using the Q701's. (pretty much the same i think)

Yeah as far as I know the K701/K702/Q701s all have identical drivers.

I would not call the amp warm like many however. Maybe its warm compared to other solid state amps but if you compare it to any tube amps its still "colder" so to speak then any tube amp I have ever heard. It can even be a little analytical sometimes. But maybe I'm just a tube guy haha.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 97

Quote:
I would not call the amp warm like many however. Maybe its warm compared to other solid state amps but if you compare it to any tube amps its still "colder" so to speak then any tube amp I have ever heard. It can even be a little analytical sometimes. But maybe I'm just a tube guy haha.

Its more like Rich warm sounds. Not boring, i liked it. :)

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 97

Quote:
@Gwarmi I've not heard the Cayin HA-1A Have you compared this amp to the Burson and/or the Little dot? What did you think? I'm curious. From specs alone its not that impressive but as a lot of us know specs seem to matter very little haha.

Briefly heard it in-store with a pair of K701's and thought it sounded very nice, I have a friend in the US who also swears by
it after hearing it with an RS1i.

True that the specs are fairly ho hum but as you said ~ this does not tell the story with tube amps.
The reviews are highly regarded and it does scale very, very well if you're prepared to upgrade the tubes
down the track.

I've seen some very serious setups using a modded Cayin HA-1A (new power supply, caps and tubes) ~ from Malaysia and abroad.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 97
^ I don't mean this. there is some other things I can't put my finger on (my electronics knowlegs is almost zero).

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 97
^ thank you, are the tube amps a good option for K701? some said here it's a very bad combination...

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #24 of 97
I don't think it's bad, but based on my experience with the K701, I'd pair it with a solid state amp.  Actually, that reminds me, I had a K701 and GS-1 but never tried putting the two together.  Wasn't a huge fan of the K701 in general.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #26 of 97

Quote:
I can not recommend the STX for the K702. If you're going o use the STX with the K702 then you'll be disappointed because the STX's amp really isn't that good.

The Auditor does not sound cold or dead. It sounds like what ever you feed it. If you source is cold then the sound will be cold. It the source is warm then the sound is warm. IMO the Auditor does a good job but not as good as the Violectric V200.

The Violectric V200 is a warmer amp that has a more tube like sound. IMO that sounds works in the favor of the K702. It helps flesh out the mids, fill in the bass, and tame the highs. The K702 still remains incredibly detailed but now is much more balanced sounding.

Here you go Rayz, I think ZX give the best answers and info about your future buy. But you'll need to hear it for yourself . In the big picture the Auditor is a bit lowmid oriented, and the V-100 is all about bass.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #27 of 97
And as I prefer more details over a bass, I guess the SPL has remind the best choice for me?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #29 of 97

Quote:
Get something with a low output impedance. It may help make them less trebly. Most headphones have high impedance in the bass, but the K701 has rising impedance in the upper treble as well.

You're not underamping. The STX is plenty powerful. What volume settings are you using, gain setting and volume level?

Good advise.

This guy will probably make a desktop version of the O2 in due course and I'd bet my fluffy toys it will be as good as anything on the market.

Good amplification does not need to cost a fortune. If you have money to throw away you could get something from Benchmark which at least can back claims up with solid engineering and measurement.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #30 of 97

Quote:
Good advise.

This guy will probably make a desktop version of the O2 in due course and I'd bet my fluffy toys it will be as good as anything on the market.

Good amplification does not need to cost a fortune. If you have money to throw away you could get something from Benchmark which at least can back claims up with solid engineering and measurement.

No need to re-hash the past but if memory serves me correctly - didn't this guy (NwavGuy) get permanently banned from Head-Fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back