Best amp for K701 - my wallet is generous.
Oct 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #76 of 97

Quote:
I have an amp that retails for around 1k and none of my headphones are really that expensive when compared to a HD800, T1, etc. I don't really see the problem with it. 

saves you money now and if you want to upgrade, you're all set :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #77 of 97

Quote:

exactly. My DIY PPAv2 amp is no slouch however but with my amp I could upgrade to a HD800 level headphone in price at least and not have to worry about getting an amp or even a dac. Actually my cheapest headphone in my possession also happens to be my best one so having a higher price tag does not mean it is better.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #78 of 97
i like your variety in cans, i mostly have all the really popular ones lolz.

i know my WA6SE will last forever and is definitely good enough to use on any high end dynamic headphones (LCD-2, hd 800, t1, d7000, etc)

i worry my DAC might be a little outdated, oh well, still really good and i love it, musical and just very slightly bright, helps make the k701's and hd 650s faster and more musical while the amp adds dynamics and soundstage <3

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #79 of 97

Quote:
I have an amp that retails for around 1k and none of my headphones are really that expensive when compared to a HD800, T1, etc. I don't really see the problem with it. 

There isn't anything wrong with it.  If it works for you it's good.

This is a hobby.  It is supposed to waste time and money.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #80 of 97
Quote:
exactly. My DIY PPAv2 amp is no slouch however but with my amp I could upgrade to a HD800 level headphone in price at least and not have to worry about getting an amp or even a dac. Actually my cheapest headphone in my possession also happens to be my best one so having a higher price tag does not mean it is better.

The T50RP you mean?  If so, looking forward to hearing it at the meet.

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #82 of 97
Types like Yoda, he does. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #83 of 97
I'm pretty sure i heard more than one person say that the ALO continental ( a portable tube amp believe it or not ) made their k701's sound better than ever.

check out the continental threads...

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #84 of 97
I don't ever remember saying it does. If you think my post even remotely indicated that price = quality, you've misunderstood.
Quote:
higher price doesn't always mean its better...

This is assuming you're actually upgrading. Some people are all set with mid-fi. 
Quote:

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #85 of 97
Quote:
Perplexing isn't the word I'd use if the money came from my wallet. That aside, you're making an irrelevant point (if you're making one at all).

This might help you out: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/to_each_his_own

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #86 of 97
How cute. I'm bemused that I have to do something so inane, but I'll help you remember your own words. 

Quote:

This might help you out: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/to_each_his_own

Quote:
To each his own. Did that $1000 come from your wallet?

I hope this helps.
Expect no further replies if these silly (or troll?) comments are all you have to offer.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #87 of 97
i second (or third) the Woo Audio WA6 SE
make sure you get the Sophia Princess tube.. 
my Q701 sound so great with it...  after hearing that... those sub par headphones / earphones sounded like crap... so beware.. it gets addicted... :)

Quote:
i like your variety in cans, i mostly have all the really popular ones lolz.

i know my WA6SE will last forever and is definitely good enough to use on any high end dynamic headphones (LCD-2, hd 800, t1, d7000, etc)

i worry my DAC might be a little outdated, oh well, still really good and i love it, musical and just very slightly bright, helps make the k701's and hd 650s faster and more musical while the amp adds dynamics and soundstage <3

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #88 of 97
Guys, I am a man of misery... I received so MANY recommendations for the Valhalla to be used with the AKG K701, and now I have read so many comments opposing this statement! Please help.

I think I got used to the analytical sound of my K701s through a vintage SS receiver (Tandberg 3012). Right now, I expect a slightly warmer sound, with A TINY BIT of more extended bass and better mids, while retaining dynamics. Can I expect this with the Schiit Valhalla?

My K701s are my reference can, and will remain just that for a very long time! I love them so much! No intention on getting rid of them!

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #89 of 97

Quote:
Guys, I am a man of misery... I received so MANY recommendations for the Valhalla to be used with the AKG K701, and now I have read so many comments opposing this statement! Please help.

I think I got used to the analytical sound of my K701s through a vintage SS receiver (Tandberg 3012). Right now, I expect a slightly warmer sound, with A TINY BIT of more extended bass and better mids, while retaining dynamics. Can I expect this with the Schiit Valhalla?

My K701s are my reference can, and will remain just that for a very long time! I love them so much! No intention on getting rid of them!

You can expect this from the Violectric V100.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #90 of 97
My K702s sound really good with a FiiO E17 portable amp. I haven't tried other amps yet, and the 702s are new. The bass is a bit shy in my opinion (unless I up the bass on the E17 EQ) but it's definitely there. I'd say subtle would be a better word. Drum beats sound realistic, bass guitar has a full sound, lower notes can be easily heard 'behind' the music. As I understand it, after 100 hours of listening or so, the bass will be a bit more prevalent without EQ?

I really like the sound as it is. (Won't mind the bass being a bit more present as long as it stays 'behind' the music and doesn't become intrusive.) From the description of the amps in this thread, I think getting a more expensive amp wouldn't add enough to the soundstage to be worth it. If I eventually want an improved soundstage, I think HD800s would be a better investment, although I'd definitely want to listen side by side first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back