Best all rounder for under $300
May 26, 2011 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TJguitar

New Head-Fier
I listen to alot of different kinds of music in alot of noisy places. That's why i've decided that for my first major audio purchase i'll pick up a nice pair of IEM's

If i had more money this wouldn't be much of problem but it seems in this price range you always have to compromise on something, be it bass, detail or comfort. 

I know this is vague but; what do y'all think is the best all rounder in this price range?

May 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 7
The UM3x is above or below $300 depending on where you get them. A great IEM though...

Another great choice at around $150 is the VSonic GR07. It actually reminds me of the the UM3x in feel in that it's also intended to be a musician's monitor, except that it is based around a dynamic driver. The ergonomics are pretty good, with an articulating nozzle that really should be on many other IEMs and is very comfortable. The sound is extremely controlled from top to bottom and non-fatiguing. It's not as exciting as some others out there, but it does very little wrong and does a lot of things right.

May 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Ortofon e-Q5. Well textured and impactful but not boomy bass, detailed and smooth mids, non-fatiguing but sparkly highs in a well above average soundstage and overall balanced presentation. There are many great performing IEMs at the 300 range but for an "all-rounder" I can only suggest the Ortofons. Comfort might be dependent on ear size, but I have rather small ears and I'm generally fine with the fit.

I have not heard the RE262 but it seems to be well received as well, another pair that seems to be able to do no wrong. The DBA-02 is well regarded at a slightly lower price range, bringing a bright and energetic sound with lean bass and wide soundstage. And as mentioned above, the relatively new VSonics GR07 delivers at the 150~ range with a balanced presentation that "does very few things wrong".

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

I know this is vague but; what do y'all think is the best all rounder in this price range?

Get anything from HiFiMan. I sold my UM3X's after hearing even their $79 jobbie the RE0 ... extremely natural flat frequency response like good studio monitors. Not designed to peak anything. Some prefer the RE Zero limited but the RE 262's are meant to be amazing though to shine most you will need an amp. For $300 you could get a great amp, the 262's & have change!

If you want coloured sound like Westone UM3X look elsewhere!

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 7
The RE0's bass is too anemic for it to be considered a good "all-rounder." I would say either the SM3 or UM3X. I wouldn't describe the UM3X as "colored," or at least not after hearing the Westone 3 or IE8 
biggrin.gif

I bought my UM3X used for $250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back