Best $400 Cans?
Aug 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
HE-400 is exactly opposite of that.  While its treble can get pretty damn bright if the recording has lots of high treble energy, in general it's a very warm headphone and very laid back.  You'll probably want something more like a Grado.

Well here's the thing, the RS2i is above my price range and I cant seem to find it cheaper, the sr325 are said to be way too bright, and I doubt the sr225 will beat a 400 dollar can. Is a 400 dollar open can you can recommend to me (bright, upfront mids, forward vocals, etc.). And just in case I find I find the RS2i for around 400, do you thinkj its a good headphone and will it fit my needs? 

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:
Well here's the thing, the RS2i is above my price range and I cant seem to find it cheaper, the sr325 are said to be way too bright, and I doubt the sr225 will beat a 400 dollar can. Is a 400 dollar open can you can recommend to me (bright, upfront mids, forward vocals, etc.). And just in case I find I find the RS2i for around 400, do you thinkj its a good headphone and will it fit my needs? 

There are a couple of used HF2s in the sale forums right now for about $400. They're basically the limited edition prototype (about 500 pairs exist) of the PS500 and were sold exclusively to Head-Fi members 3 years back. They are a variation on the traditional Grado sound, with more midbass and less treble while still being maintaining the forward vocals and fast pace. I think of it as having a balanced coloration that still works well with rock and pop but has a wider genre bandwidth than other modern Grados. 

I find mine very nonfatiguing and prefer it to the brighter RS1 and SR325. I wish I had a HE-400 to do a fair price comparison.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #18 of 35

Ultrasone PRO2900 if it goes on sale can drop around the $450-$550 mark. The SR-225 are very good, I wouldn't put so much weight on retail pricing. :wink:

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #19 of 35
RMC Audio has the PRO2900 for $380 as of their last email to me actually. 

Subbed. I'm interested in this. I'm currently building my theoretical dorm setup since I don't really want to do homework at the moment...

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
Ultrasone PRO2900 if it goes on sale can drop around the $450-$550 mark. The SR-225 are very good, I wouldn't put so much weight on retail pricing.
wink.gif

do you think the sr-225 is better than the rs2i? I listen to rock and pop rock at high volumes...

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #21 of 35
do you think the sr-225 is better than the rs2i? I listen to rock and pop rock at high volumes...

Haven't heard the RS-2, but I would not say the SR-225 is better than the RS-1 or GS-1000 :wink:. They are different - the Prestige series is more of a "wall of sound" or "intimate 2.5D presentation" while the RS-1 are more 3D/holographic but still very "small" - the GS-1000 are another boat entirely. My point was more that, the SR-225 is a very good headphone, irrespective of price, and especially if you find the SR-325 too bright. No reason to spend your entire budget if you don't have to - saving money is a good thing.

I also wish you/others wouldn't listen at high volumes (and if you listen at truly high volumes, just get an SR-60 - you won't be able to appreciate much after enough exposure :frowning2:).

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:
Haven't heard the RS-2, but I would not say the SR-225 is better than the RS-1 or GS-1000
wink.gif
. They are different - the Prestige series is more of a "wall of sound" or "intimate 2.5D presentation" while the RS-1 are more 3D/holographic but still very "small" - the GS-1000 are another boat entirely. My point was more that, the SR-225 is a very good headphone, irrespective of price, and especially if you find the SR-325 too bright. No reason to spend your entire budget if you don't have to - saving money is a good thing.
I also wish you/others wouldn't listen at high volumes (and if you listen at truly high volumes, just get an SR-60 - you won't be able to appreciate much after enough exposure
frown.gif
).

I dont consider my listening to be TOO loud, I can crank up the volume three times in an ipod before its too much, thats about how loud I listen to. The reason that I'm insisting a bit on the RS2i is cause as you said, its soundstage seems to be a bit bigger and its SQ seems like   its better than the sr225, meaning it has more quality to it. I do enjoy a thrill when listening to rock as I said but I also like a sophisticated and smooth SQ at the same time. Some people say the treble of the sr225 kinda hurts your ears. If I want an exciting/thrilling headphone while maintaining a smooth and sophisticated SQ, do you think I should go for the sr225, RS2i, or something else?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
I dont consider my listening to be TOO loud, I can crank up the volume three times in an ipod before its too much, thats about how loud I listen to. The reason that I'm insisting a bit on the RS2i is cause as you said, its soundstage seems to be a bit bigger and its SQ seems like   its better than the sr225, meaning it has more quality to it. I do enjoy a thrill when listening to rock as I said but I also like a sophisticated and smooth SQ at the same time. Some people say the treble of the sr225 kinda hurts your ears. If I want an exciting/thrilling headphone while maintaining a smooth and sophisticated SQ, do you think I should go for the sr225, RS2i, or something else?

Here's the real deal:

All Mid-range Grados have a very similar and peculiar house sound colouration since they share similar / identical drivers. And that colouration is basically peaky treble, very smooth and flat mids except an upper treble peak (causes the "shouty" feel of Grado sound), and a slight mid-bass hump followed by a huge and quick bass roll-off. 

A few examples:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS2.pdf

With the repeating treble pattern you see here between different Grado lines, in particular, lots of people find it way too peaky for their tastes. Others like treble-heads and those who seek ultra-EQed-up treble details find it exciting.

If you tolerate or perhaps even thrive with peaky treble, and don't mind a bass response that is punchy (midbass hump) but lacks body (zero lower / subbass), and ultimately want an extremely smooth but slightly shouty (upper mids peak) mids, the midrange Grados are perfect for you, any difference between the different Grados would just be very very minute treble signature differences.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Here's the real deal:

All Mid-range Grados have a very similar and peculiar house sound colouration since they share similar / identical drivers. And that colouration is basically peaky treble, very smooth and flat mids except an upper treble peak (causes the "shouty" feel of Grado sound), and a slight mid-bass hump followed by a huge and quick bass roll-off. 

A few examples:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS2.pdf

With the repeating treble pattern you see here between different Grado lines, in particular, lots of people find it way too peaky for their tastes. Others like treble-heads and those who seek ultra-EQed-up treble details find it exciting.

If you tolerate or perhaps even thrive with peaky treble, and don't mind a bass response that is punchy (midbass hump) but lacks body (zero lower / subbass), and ultimately want an extremely smooth but slightly shouty (upper mids peak) mids, the midrange Grados are perfect for you, any difference between the different Grados would just be very very minute treble signature differences.

by midrange grados do you mean the sr225 or the rs2i? There's something I didn't understand, is the treble bright and peaky while the mids are smooth, vice versa, or did you mean something else?

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:
by midrange grados do you mean the sr225 or the rs2i? There's something I didn't understand, is the treble bright and peaky while the mids are smooth, vice versa, or did you mean something else?

Oh sorry, I meant the relatively medium-priced (not SR60/80 cheap, nor HP1000 expensive) headphones, not the midrange of the headphones. And yes, treble is peaky (not necessarily bright though, just peaky / not smooth) and mids are smooth. Note also the THD data which correspond nicely to upper harmonics ringing, the mids are extremely low distortion while the treble is behaving wildly. Treble can be bright but not peaky (a few Beyers, and HD800, for example) and vice versa fyi.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Oh sorry, I meant the relatively medium-priced (not SR60/80 cheap, nor HP1000 expensive) headphones, not the midrange of the headphones. And yes, treble is peaky (not necessarily bright though, just peaky / not smooth) and mids are smooth. Note also the THD data which correspond nicely to upper harmonics ringing, the mids are extremely low distortion while the treble is behaving wildly. Treble can be bright but not peaky (a few Beyers, and HD800, for example) and vice versa fyi.

I tend to dislike headphones with very peaky treble and non aggressive mids, I actually prefer the opposite. I like mids which are very forward and engaging and I like the highs to be fairly engaging as well but also smooth. Is there a headphone which would fit my needs? It doesn't necessarily have to be a grado. My budget is 400-500 dollars. BTW, do you think the mids in the midrange grados are recessed by any means since they are smooth or are they forward and present? I have this issue with the m50, since the mids are recessed I often find myself turning up the volume and the treble ends up hurting my ears because its too loud and peaky...

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:
I tend to dislike headphones with very peaky treble and non aggressive mids, I actually prefer the opposite. I like mids which are very forward and engaging and I like the highs to be fairly engaging as well but also smooth. Is there a headphone which would fit my needs? It doesn't necessarily have to be a grado. My budget is 400-500 dollars

Used HE500s.

Or HE400s with velour pads + regrilling mod (shamelessly promoting my own mod 
tongue.gif
); note that without at least the velour pads, it WILL sound too dark and muffled for your preference. The $10 velours make a huge impact in sound signature, bringing out the upper mids and smoothing out / popping out the treble considerably. Not placebo either, there is professional measurements done comparing the pleather vs velour pads on the HE400s that back up this 100%. My regrilling mod brings out the treble further and opens up the imaging and reduces ringing.

Senn HD650 has a forward mids, however its treble is probably a touch too subdued for your tastes.

Denon D5000s are FAIRLY neutral, but its mids are nowhere as forward as the other three listed above.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 35
The HE400 absolutely destroys the Pro 2900... just wanna make that painfully clear. DESTROYS.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Used HE500s.

Or HE400s with velour pads + regrilling mod (shamelessly promoting my own mod 
tongue.gif
); note that without at least the velour pads, it WILL sound too dark and muffled for your preference. The $10 velours make a huge impact in sound signature, bringing out the upper mids and smoothing out / popping out the treble considerably. Not placebo either, there is professional measurements done comparing the pleather vs velour pads on the HE400s that back up this 100%. My regrilling mod brings out the treble further and opens up the imaging and reduces ringing.

Senn HD650 has a forward mids, however its treble is probably a touch too subdued for your tastes.

Denon D5000s are FAIRLY neutral, but its mids are nowhere as forward as the other three listed above.

he-500 vs he-400 with velour pads, which one do you think will be better for rock? Some people say the he-400 doesn't have as much of that airy feel that other open cans have and that the soundstage is limited compared to other open cans, does the he-500 fix that. In case I do decide to buy it, where can I find a good price for it used, I'm not in danger of buying a fake one am I? Also, should I get velour pads for the he-500 as well? btw whats a regrilling mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back