Best $200 (or less) portable headphones for flying
Aug 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I recently lost my Etymotic 6i so I am now back in the market for a new pair. I really enjoyed the Ety's and I am currently considering the next model up, however I am looking for a little more punch. I mainly will be using these on airplanes to watch movies or listen to music. They will be connected to an iPad or iPhone/iPod without an amp

I am looking to spend $150 but will go up to $200

Listening Habits:
Music - Rock, eletronica, classic rock (Nine inch nails, foo fighters, beatles)
Movies
TV Shows

Considering:
Fischer Audio DBA-02
Ety 4 series
Ety HF5
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro
Shure (which models should I be looking into?)

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 22
bump

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 22
Based on your listening preferences I say you should get the TF10s.  The isolation is good for plane rides and they sound awesome too.  I used to have DBA-02s but they really lack any punch when it comes to listening to electronic music.  I wanted an IEM that would sound good with all my music and not just most of it.  That's what the TF10s gave me.  

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 22
Considering the amount of movies I will be watching, I know headphones would be a great choice, but I need something more versatile so IEMs are my choice. The TF10s sound like winners. Thanks for the help

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 22
I am now slightly concerned about the TF10s being uncomfortable and I rather not go through the hassle of modding them, customs, etc. What would be comparable IEMs to TF10s for about the same price?

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 22
bump. I need to make a purchase by tomorrow. I am still considering the TF10s but I cannot find out enough about the isolation quality. I am also considering the westone 2. I am mainly just looking for headphones that are great for rock (fast, good highs and lows, decent soundstage) and provide good to great isolation

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 22
I had comfort issues with the TF10's, never got them right for me.  I found the Westone 3 and UM3X both very comfortable.  I suspect the Westone 2 might be equally comfortable - just a guess, though.  I haven't owned or tried them. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 22
I'm underwhelmed by how my HF5s sound - good, but no better - but they do isolate very well. Although I suspect plug/ear canal match is everything here - with a good selection of plugs to try most IEMs should do what you want isolation wise.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 22
Not sure if you have to buy locally or anything like that but for your preferences I suggest the VSonic GR07. An excellent dynamic based IEM with many of the best qualities I found in BA based IEM's combined with bass that only a dynamic can deliver. By far the best IEM I have owned and all for a great price to boot. Better than the Sennheiser IE8, Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold, Earsonic SM3, TF10, and a myriad of IEM's in between.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 22
I think GR07, EX600 will provide enough isolation to block out most noise and they sound amazing (they shows great details in mids n highs with good bass response and offers wide soundstage) with these genres music. The HF5(offers great isolation), RE0 are very clean, detailed sounding IEMs and shine even more with AMPs help(like Fiio E11).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back