Benjie Offical Thread
Sep 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,577 of 2,126
@Aussiepreper
Too bad there is no original firmware and the buttons are in different sequence either. Guess it's a one way ticket that might lead straight to a irrepairable mess. It's a no go then.

Yea you can clone the original firmware just to be safe.You could make an image of the original player?. I honestly can not tell you if it wont work but i am throwing up some ideas to be mindful of? Any ways if the firmware is okay just leave it to be on the safe side.
You can see from my pics that i flashed my S5 with M20 firmware but they are the exact same players.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #1,578 of 2,126
Is it possible to flash a new firmware for S5 to play DSD and ISO files? Or is it a hardware limitation?

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,579 of 2,126
What FW do you intend to use?

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,581 of 2,126
So I got my s5 yesterday.
Damn, I wish that I'd never started hanging about on this site, still, recognising that you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
The first thing that I did was put the agptek m20 firmware on so that I can get some of the bookmarking magic.
Very disappointed that I couldn't do this on Linux and had to fire up SWMBO's Windows box to do this.
Not too impressed by the sound, seems a bit dull and lacking in bass.
I go for something neutral or the famous warm "British" sound.
It should be fine for podcasts, which is what I bought it for, but I'll stick with my Fiio x1 for music for now.
I like the bookmarking and on board deleting of files but it is irritating that I still have to use the computer to delete folders.

I'll report back and maybe do my first review when I've done some serious burning in.
Or is burning in a myth or urban legend?

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,582 of 2,126
Got my Benjie S5 two days ago. Plugged it in and charged it up. Reformatted a 64G card and loaded it up yesterday. Today I put in the card and went straight for Pink Floyd DSOTM. So far the sound is pretty good with my Trinity IcarusIII - Gunmetal filter.

Does the S5 have gapless? on Page 2 of this thread, it says "Yes and yes" when someone asked if it has gapless and resume track location.
For the life of me, I can't find the gapless setting if there is one.

I ordered this after reading the first few pages of the thread. Didn't finish the whole thread until the Benjie arrived. I think later someone said it DOES NOT have gapless.

Just trying to confirm. Gapless or NO gapless?
If yes Gapless, how?

Thanks team.

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,583 of 2,126
Got my Benjie S5 two days ago. Plugged it in and charged it up. Reformatted a 64G card and loaded it up yesterday. Today I put in the card and went straight for Pink Floyd DSOTM. So far the sound is pretty good with my Trinity IcarusIII - Gunmetal filter.

Does the S5 have gapless? on Page 2 of this thread, it says "Yes and yes" when someone asked if it has gapless and resume track location.
For the life of me, I can't find the gapless setting if there is one.

I ordered this after reading the first few pages of the thread. Didn't finish the whole thread until the Benjie arrived. I think later someone said it DOES NOT have gapless.

Just trying to confirm. Gapless or NO gapless?
If yes Gapless, how?

Thanks team.

Slackers, here you go @Howlin Fester http://makercorner.blogspot.com/2017/08/benjie-s5agptek-m20-music-player-review.html love this one and my favorite excerpt is the "Simple and Tidy" referring to the interior build. Could be why the little dog sounds so good, I actually have a hard time discerning which sounds better sometimes as to me the T6 sounds just as good:wink:

T6 4in1.JPG

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,584 of 2,126
Slackers, here you go @Howlin Fester http://makercorner.blogspot.com/2017/08/benjie-s5agptek-m20-music-player-review.html love this one and my favorite excerpt is the "Simple and Tidy" referring to the interior build. Could be why the little dog sounds so good, I actually have a hard time discerning which sounds better sometimes as to me the T6 sounds just as good:wink:
Thanks @Podster. That answers my question. No gapless. Bummer. I bought it to replace Fiio M3 while cutting grass. M3 doesn't have gapless either. But the M3 has a weird beep between tracks that should be gapless, where the S5 just blanks for a moment.

Still having positive impressions of the S5 so far today.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,585 of 2,126
Still having positive impressions of the S5 so far today.[/QUOTE]

You keep that up and we are going to see the S5 in your signature line:wink: Of my sub $50 ChiFi DAPS (S5/T6/K9/X11/MroboC5 and my M3 which died on me and was my most used up to that point!) my S5 is the most used:grin: Also my most gifted as in 5 of my buddies now have and use theirs:beerchug:

Needless to say this DAP can hang with these puppies all day long:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A Noble Budget.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,586 of 2,126
Yea you can clone the original firmware just to be safe.You could make an image of the original player?. I honestly can not tell you if it wont work but i am throwing up some ideas to be mindful of? Any ways if the firmware is okay just leave it to be on the safe side.
You can see from my pics that i flashed my S5 with M20 firmware but they are the exact same players.

I have no slightest idea how to clone original firmware, as a matter of fact I don't think it's even possible. If somehow there is a way, pls be kind enough to point me into right direction.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #1,587 of 2,126
20171002_192459[1].jpg
20171002_192531[1].jpg
20171002_192550[1].jpg
20171002_192652[1].jpg
20171002_192852[1].jpg
20171002_192619[1].jpg
20171002_192918[1].jpg
Hello everyone, I just received a Benjie X1 that I ordered from Aliexpress. Taking a look at the packaging it came with, I noticed there was a striking difference between the one I got and the one I've seen in many other reviews. Particularly eye opening was that there was no mention of the name "Benjie" on it at all... opening the package and taking a look at the back of the player, I noticed that on the bottom, there were those 5 symbols you find on some electronics, but when compared to the players of others (who bought from another seller), those symbols weren't there, except for one, who also bought from the seller I did. Turning on the player, the firmware looked practically identical to the ones in the photos, but the sound... with every press of the touch screen buttons there was an easily noticeable clicking/humming noise, and when I played music on it that was stored in my SD card, there was an even MORE noticeable humming noise which I could not ignore. ...With all that in mind, can anyone who also has the Benjie X1 please compare their unboxing experience with mine, and tell me if they've had the same humming noise? But the big question here is: Did I receive a fake?

I've posted some pictures for your reference. Thank you for your help! :D I use the KZ ZS5 as my daily drivers, btw.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,588 of 2,126
Hey mate the box is different to mine but they could be different versions? Or different build dates?

The player looks the same as mine. I am not sure what you mean by symbols it looks the same as mine?

When mine is paused i can hear background noise it sounds like a clock ticking? Some thing electrical is leaking because when you leave it stopped for a while the sound will go away? It has to be a capacitor or a resistor it could be a bleeder resistor?

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,590 of 2,126
Hello everyone, I just received a Benjie X1 that I ordered from Aliexpress. Taking a look at the packaging it came with, I noticed there was a striking difference between the one I got and the one I've seen in many other reviews. Particularly eye opening was that there was no mention of the name "Benjie" on it at all... opening the package and taking a look at the back of the player, I noticed that on the bottom, there were those 5 symbols you find on some electronics, but when compared to the players of others (who bought from another seller), those symbols weren't there, except for one, who also bought from the seller I did. Turning on the player, the firmware looked practically identical to the ones in the photos, but the sound... with every press of the touch screen buttons there was an easily noticeable clicking/humming noise, and when I played music on it that was stored in my SD card, there was an even MORE noticeable humming noise which I could not ignore. ...With all that in mind, can anyone who also has the Benjie X1 please compare their unboxing experience with mine, and tell me if they've had the same humming noise? But the big question here is: Did I receive a fake?

I've posted some pictures for your reference. Thank you for your help! :D I use the KZ ZS5 as my daily drivers, btw.
I can't dig my box out right now but I did have a look at the firmware and it's the same as on yours. I don't get the humming or any noise associated with pressing the touch buttons but it does give a loud pop sometimes when turning the DAP off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back