Beginner in search of a gateway set of cans
Aug 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

The Dusk Sky

New Head-Fier
Hi,

After a few weeks of lurking around the forums and reading as much as I can, I thought it's finally time to step up to the plate and ask around for advice on some cans. It all is very confusing and without many options to try on a set around my location ( nearest place being 2 hours away). I'd like help picking up my first pair of cans and without much on hands experience aside from trying on a few of my friends I'm a bit lost.

I'm going to be up in college soon and I would be using them around the dorm primarily and a just a tad bit in the library. My budget is a bit tight and the highest I would most likely go is around $150.

I mostly listen to Alternative/Pop/Rock/Indie/Folk/Classical and the other 10% of the time is dubstep/hip-hop, so bass is not a strong concern of mine

A few things I've seen in the forum that caught my eye are:

Grado/Alessandro - I heard these can be quite noisy to third parties? But the highs/mids should be what I'm looking for my music tastes.

Fotex t50rp - also came up on one of my reads, but with the 1/4 inch jack, it wouldn't work for me as I'll probably be running the cans out of my ipod/laptop

HD448 - has a good mid.

In conclusion, I want a "gateway" headphone into the world of audiophilia. Ideally i'd like a really balanced headphone but that seems like wishful thinking. So settling on a set that can play the music i like better and i could get a set for bass later down the line and hopefully an amp.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 10
T50RP are great, if you have a amp.

Go Grado, Sr80i and get a pair of L-cush pads to go along with them.
Don't worry about the leakage, if you're not in the same car or sitting next to them while the volume is high, they won't notice. I use mine almost exclusively in public as a portable. Love my Clip_ to clip to the cord after it's looped around my neck.

BTW: Grado don't need no amp! 32ohm

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 10
Grado's would be a great choice for your music preference.

Checkout the SR-80i's.
http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Grado-SR60I-PRESTIGE-SERIES-OPEN-BACK-DYNAMIC-ON-EAR-HEADPHONES-SR60i-66803.html?a=HPSFRG

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I have been lead to believe that there is a significant jump in quality from the 125 to 225 in Grado's lineup. Is this inaccurate?

Nope it's true!

My SR125

My SR225

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 10
One last question, I've read that Alessandros are more relax compared to Grados (I have no clue what this means). Would I still be safe in just getting the Grados whilst the alessandros are "tuned up" grados?

Thanks

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 10
I can't find the T50RP anywhere. NOWHERE 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back