Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Oct 7, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #3,016 of 6,026
uh oh. i just shat my pants listening to "Stream" from Dave Matthews - Live at Luther College.
basshead.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #3,017 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
uh oh. i just shat my pants listening to "Stream" from Dave Matthews - Live at Luther College.
basshead.gif

¬_¬

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #3,018 of 6,026
ok ok i'm finally back to normal. hmm, only took me 3.5 hours to settle down. pretty tantric response there, but at least now I can say "i like this amp" without folks thinking i'm just leading with my ears
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #3,019 of 6,026
Quote:

uh oh got in trouble, got a lil too anxious to stay in the Zone and was grooving too much in the moment- i actually said to my wife "DAMMIT CAN I JUST LISTEN TO MY MUSIC???"

so, uh, see you in a bit after i walk the dog and do some chores.
frown.gif

the store just called...the balls you had on layaway are ready for pickup....seems like you need them now!

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #3,020 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
the store just called...the balls you had on layaway are ready for pickup....seems like you need them now!

ok, holding them in reading with the HHF-1 is just gross.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #3,021 of 6,026
Quote:

basshead.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #3,022 of 6,026
Jahn,

I am glad it reached you okay.

I was worried like you it went MIA. But usually have found IME that UK mail on an item that heavy and big usually takes about 10 working days to get to the US.

So you like the Amperex's 7308's. Glad they worked out for you. I wasn't sure how you find them.

So how do you find it compares to with your old Melos. I have heard your old Melos but it was at the National meet so I wasn;t able to tell if there was any difference due to background noise.

Glad you you like it and hope to read your impressions and thoughts.

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #3,023 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Surprisingly enough, the headphone out is actually really decent. In terms of synergy I prefer it with my HF-1s to the Corda Head-Five! It has a higher amount of detail than the Head-Five but with the same amount of bass slam. Sound-staging is about equal to the Head-Five, not very wide. There is a bit of a mid bass bloat but it's not a real big issue.

Wow, this is reason why you should not write things when you've only had an hour of sleep. Sound-staging, check, slight mid-bass bloat, check, but not more detail!

The Denon has a really decent headphone amplifier, but with my Headphile CD3000s, it's a little too bass heavy

BTW congrats on the new Melos Jahn, I know what it feels like to wait for a package to arrive. Days feel like months.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #3,024 of 6,026
hmm interesting, i thought both the standby and mute LEDs were disconnected, but i just saw the mute LED flicker on briefly, and it was blue - not the MAR red/green! and of course it wasn't muted, hehe. silly Melos!

well the most obvious difference between the MAR and the Maestrobated Melos is that I had no idea that the Maestrobated was on when I flipped it on, hehe. Unlike the Pho-tentiometer, the stepped attenuator actually can be clicked down to dead silence. once i ramped it up, here's the sound!

now this isn't going to be an exact comparo, because i'm using different tubes, and of course my MAR hasn't been here for a few weeks so memory fades, but here we go. the Maestrobated Melos is far tighter and faster and coherent than the MAR - in other words, closer to your traditional sense of Solid State Speed, which reminds me of The Solo (SS) and The Stealth (Hybrid), which is a good thing - I like that signature.

But at the same time, the Maestrobator retains that beefy tube signature, all the way down to the low frequencies, without any midbass bloat. It's not as warm as the MAR, but it definitely extends deeper (and higher with cleaner highs, not as much hash). No Melos is a slouch in impact, but this baby really slams!

From what I recall of Bozebutton's Melos, that one had more baaaaaassss. But this one has more than the MAR. So it should be very interesting to compare them all in the same room later! Plus, computerpro13 just Maestrobated my old MAR, so he should be able to tell you what sounds new from my old amp as well! Farewell MAR, your signature won't be heard again on the East Coast for a long time!
cool.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #3,025 of 6,026
I think I rediscovered Karen Carpenter. You know how I said before that resolution, detail and separation will let you hear the spittle rattle in her throat with a bit of chappy lip action as the air passes through her lips? Now when I hear the same song "We've Only Just Begun" you just fall in love with her all over again, instead of just being impressed with her vocalization. I can't really quantify it - it's as if the Melos is actually acting like the HP1000 now in approach - when there's a cymbal, you now hear "Hello, I'm a Cymbal."
wink.gif
I thought a Maestrobation would just be about a bassy sledgehammer upgrade, but apparently there's more to it! I hope this translates well to a noisy ambient Meet atmosphere!

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #3,027 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Jahn's sig is also useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

It makes my head spin.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3,028 of 6,026
Quote:

hmm interesting, i thought both the standby and mute LEDs were disconnected, but i just saw the mute LED flicker on briefly, and it was blue - not the MAR red/green!

That was a Carlo-mod too. While he was working on it, he said he had some cool blue power LED's that he could swap out and asked me if I wanted him to. I said yes...unfortunately.

Unfortunately because within days of me getting the amp back, the LED began to go bad. Carlo ackknowedged that he had gotten a bad batch of blue LED's, and offered to fix it of course. But with insured shipping to Cali being near a C-note, and since I didn't want/know how to do it myself, I decided to live with it. It doesn't affect sound quality at all (not in signal path). The person to whom I sold the amp knew about this. For anyone with even modest DIY skills could be an easy swap though compared to the other mods.

Glad you finally got the amp, J. Seeing those pics makes me nostalgic. Yup, those Amperex 7308's were my fav too. Congrats on your "stealth upgrade"
wink.gif

So when's the mini-meet?

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #3,029 of 6,026
Ah! That explains it, I know I wasn't going crazy hehe. Hmm maybe at the NYC Meet we could have someone swap an LED in there quickly if it doesnt' take too long? Otherwise it's not bothersome. Looks like this weekend is my last free one until the Fall NYC Meet, since house stuff is going to tie me up for a month on the weekends!
lambda.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #3,030 of 6,026
An upgrade should improve many things not only bass as you are expected. I can't wait to hear all these Melos'

I do not like LEDs. I deactivate all unnecessary ones.

The Stealth is full tube not hybrid. Oddly you keep remembering this when I'd told you it isn't before
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back