Before and after pics - CURSE YOU HEAD FI!
Oct 6, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #2,986 of 6,026
The United States adopted the -ium for most of the 19th century with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. However, in 1892 Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new efficient electrolytic method for the production of aluminium, despite using the -ium spelling in all of his patents filed between 1886 and 1903. It has consequently been suggested that the spelling on the flier was a simple spelling mistake rather than a deliberate choice to use the -um spelling. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America, even though the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913 continued to use the -ium version.

In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications, and American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.

The original nomenclatures were filed at roughly the same time, and yes, the Aluminum was the prior filing. However, my objections stem from the above, namely that the common use of the -um spelling is in fact not down to the original name filing, but to a mass onslaught of typos.

So while you boys over on the bigger side of the pond may protest you infact use the original spelling, you dont use it because its original. You use it because it was the popular misprint.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #2,987 of 6,026
Likely story!
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #2,988 of 6,026
No, it's because "Aluminium" sounds "funny"....
eggosmile.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #2,989 of 6,026
Look what I got today! New cable for my HD650's. Revelation Audio Labs Paradise.
smily_headphones1.gif

RAL650_800.jpg

This purple beauty definitely looks much better IRL than in pictures. It's also very well built.

Setti_800.jpg

There are also new interconnect cables behind HP100 and DA100 (DIY, not by me though).

vPP_800.jpg

Now there shouldn't be anything to upgrade in a while. Maybe rolling some interconnects but nothing big.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #2,990 of 6,026
OOH! Lavender Aluminum Recable!
3000smile.gif
Congrats, let us know how it sounds!

And BTW, Charles Martin Hall invented the commercial production of Aluminum at my Alma Mater, Oberlin College, and we have a bunch of buildings named after him there. Go, ALCOA!

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #2,991 of 6,026
Before Head-fi, my portable music was an iPod and some so-so Sony earbuds.

Now:

DSCN0301.jpg

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #2,992 of 6,026
Very nice Rob! Looks great, and I have no doubt it'll sound just as good.

I kind of did a bad thing this past weekend. I, absolutely without the meaning to do so, kind of stumbled into a hifi shop by accident and walked out 3 hours later having demoed a bunch of speakers. I think I fell for the Klipsch RF-7's. Actual bass!

Once I get back to my parents place in January, and have the room to place decent speakers, I doubt my headphone setup will last long. Sheer musical quality might not be as good, but the experience was an eye (ear?) opener to say the least. I'm allready sketching maps of my room to make them fit.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #2,994 of 6,026
I learned long ago that if the room don't fit, speakers quit. Long Live Headphones!

And Skylab, that rig looks like it could bludgeon a man to death. You need a manlier put-er-together-er than that velcro strip tho! Maybe something like this?
ammo_box.jpg

Except without the, you know, bullets. Oh and get it in silver. Aluminum.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #2,995 of 6,026
[size=xx-small]Question of the day:[/size]

WHERE IS JAHN'S AMP???????

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #2,996 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
and nice purple cable Patu - not often I see a cable that color

It's not just a purple cable!

It's a cable made of "DEEP CRYOGENIC TREATED OXYGEN-FREE 99.999% 5N (or "five nines") ULTRA-PURE SOLID CORE SILVER WIRE".

Ahh... I just love that sentence.
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #2,997 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I learned long ago that if the room don't fit, speakers quit. Long Live Headphones!

And Skylab, that rig looks like it could bludgeon a man to death. You need a manlier put-er-together-er than that velcro strip tho! Maybe something like this?
ammo_box.jpg

Except without the, you know, bullets. Oh and get it in silver. Aluminum.

LMAO!!!

I do need something better than the velcro for sure. Haven't found the right thing yet. Love to get some suggestions, although they might needto be a little more, ummm, practical that Jahn's...
lambda.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #2,998 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It's not just a purple cable!

It's a cable made of "DEEP CRYOGENIC TREATED OXYGEN-FREE 99.999% 5N (or "five nines") ULTRA-PURE SOLID CORE SILVER WIRE".

Ahh... I just love that sentence.
biggrin.gif

OMG sorry have I offended it don't let it hurt me!!!

biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #2,999 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
OMG sorry have I offended it don't let it hurt me!!!

biggrin.gif

I'll try to calm it down but I can't promise anything. It just might sneak into your bed while you're asleep and painfully strangle you!

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #3,000 of 6,026
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I'll try to calm it down but I can't promise anything. It just might sneak into your bed while you're asleep and painfully strangle you!

as apposed to, of course, a comfortable strangling.
wink.gif

edit - next reply is reply #3000!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back