Been Out of the IEM World, Looking For Some Advice!
Sep 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 24
^I stand corrected... of the ones you have do any sound as nice as the DDM?

Personally, I want someone to combine an moving and balanced armature driver with a dynamic... see where that gets us in terms of SQ!

OP: Dual and triple are just how many speakers there are per ear. Dynamic speakers are larger, typically associated with a greater amount of bass, and fuller midrange (warm). Balanced armatures are typically more detailed, lighter on bass, and have more clinical/sterile midrange (uncoloured.) As far as I know the only other type used on an IEM is the Moving Armature, which seems to try and get the best of both dynamics and armatures... haven't heard any yet, so I'm not sure quite how thy sound.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
^I stand corrected... of the oned you have do any sound as nice as the DDM?

Personally, I want someone to combine an moving and balanced armature driver with a dynamic... see where that gets us in terms of SQ!

OP: Dual and triple are just how many speakers there are per ear. Dynamic speakers are larger, typically associated with a greater amount of bass, and fuller midrange (warm). Balanced armatures are typically more detailed, lighter on bass, and have more clinical/sterile midrange (uncoloured.) As far as I know the only other type used on an IEM is the Moving Armature, which seems to try and get the best of both dynamics and armatures... haven't heard any yet, so I'm not sure quite how thy sound.

Thanks for the quick lesson!  I guess I would be leaning towards Dynamic because I prefer bass over detail if I had to pick (even though I love details as well).

Is the moving armature design/technology more expensive or on par with the rest?

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 24
Nope. DDM might not be the first to have dual dynamic, but it sure is one of the best I ever heard.

Quote:
^I stand corrected... of the oned you have do any sound as nice as the DDM?

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 24
accessoryjack.com is an excellent vendor with fast delivery times and authentic gear. I have purchased several items from them over the past two years with zero issues.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Is the moving armature design/technology more expensive or on par with the rest?

Much more expensive... a Single Moving armature pair of earphones will likely cost ~$300, whereas with Dynamics and Balanced armatures, you get more than one speaker per ear, and find them often under $300. 

Moving Armature: Grado GR8 ($300) and Ortofon EQ7 ($400) are the only ones I know of.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #21 of 24
I love the DDMs as much as anyone, but to be honest if you are after clarity with bass, and you are listening to a lot of techno, that might not be my first suggestion. I think you would be better off getting something with a bit more speed and aritculation, something like the SM3 (from what I've read) and the CK90Pro (which I prefer over the DDM for electronic music, and which has similar amounts of bass - though not as textured.) You want something that will do razor edge electronic tones as well as bass.

The CK90Pro is one of the cheaper BA earphones that can actually do quite a bit of bass, yet still remains crisp to my ears. You should check out Joker's thread.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
accessoryjack.com is an excellent vendor with fast delivery times and authentic gear. I have purchased several items from them over the past two years with zero issues.

Thanks for your review on accessoryjack.com; I looked up some other reviews on that website and all very positive so if I do chose to purchase something with them I shouldn't worry.

Quote:
Much more expensive... a Single Moving armature pair of earphones will likely cost ~$300, whereas with Dynamics and Balanced armatures, you get more than one speaker per ear, and find them often under $300. 

Moving Armature: Grado GR8 ($300) and Ortofon EQ7 ($400) are the only ones I know of.

Yeah, that's what I assumed, which is ok hah...just the nature of things.
Quote:
I love the DDMs as much as anyone, but to be honest if you are after clarity with bass, and you are listening to a lot of techno, that might not be my first suggestion. I think you would be better off getting something with a bit more speed and aritculation, something like the SM3 (from what I've read) and the CK90Pro (which I prefer over the DDM for electronic music, and which has similar amounts of bass - though not as textured.) You want something that will do razor edge electronic tones as well as bass.

The CK90Pro is one of the cheaper BA earphones that can actually do quite a bit of bass, yet still remains crisp to my ears. You should check out Joker's thread.

Thanks for your input!  I was also reading a lot of positive things regarding clarity with the SM3 and your post just [size=10.0pt]reinforces[/size] what I've been reading.  I'll do a search on Joker's thread and the CK90Pro.

Thanks guys!

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 24
^^ I think several people have ordered from Musicacoustics as well so if cheaper that may be the best route. I just wanted to chime in about whether accessoryjack was an OK vendor since the OP was unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back