Beats studios are not overpriced.
Oct 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #76 of 111
Quote:
To me IEMs are way more comfortable than any other type of headphone.  I usually wear my SE530s at least 8 hours straight every day at work and they don't get uncomfortable in the slightest.  Most full size 'phones I've tried start to get slightly annoying after 4 hours, and certainly by 6.  The only full size I think might even come close is the HD800, though I've only heard them at meets and never got to try an extended session with them.  Of course those aren't portable at all.

I haven't had a custom IEM so I can't say for sure, but I'd bet they be comfortable enough to wear all day every day.  That's basically what people with hear aids do and it seams to suit them just fine.

Quote:
I was on a flight recently and what I did almost totally blocked all ambient sound. I wore my RE0 IEMs and on top of that I used my Shure 840 for extra isolation. Worked like a charm.
smily_headphones1.gif

I took out the IEMs and it's amazing how loud the engine drone really is.

Reading these two posts back to back made me think of how isolating the SE530s are. Even without music playing I can't hear myself talking. I'll never fly again without them. Plus they sound amazing with the right source!

beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #77 of 111

Quote:

It's actually with both, but more with Monster than the consumer.  It does sadden me that marketing campaigns and tie ins such as this are as successful as they are, and that more people don't take the time to research before they buy, but demand is not a finite, independent phenomenon.  Market demand, especially in the market for non-essential, luxury goods (for most people headphones are non-essential anyhow
k701smile.gif
) must be crafted and cultivated.  I would posit that if every consumer had a reasonable understanding of the relative cost-to-produce, merits, competition and alternatives to the likes of something like Beats or Bud, there'd be a whole lot less volume getting sold for both.  Insofar as that, I not only fault, but am morally outraged by a company that has largely premised its business model on reinforcing the ignorance of its consumers.  It's one thing to offer an ultra-luxury good that few are going to deem worth the ask, but that is of undeniably superior quality, or to offer a lower cost, high value added product that may not live up to the standards of its more expensive brethren but nevertheless represents a respectable level of quality at a given price point.  I have no problem with companies trying to make an honest profit.  What bothers me is when companies like Monsanto hire 80 full time staff members to spy on independent farmers who still refuse to use their genetically patented soybeans, and sue them if there's so much as a bean of cross-pollination (or for that matter even if there isn't, not like the small farmers can afford millions of dollars to fight frivolous lawsuits...), or when companies like Bose or Monster offer middling quality level products at exorbitant prices, market the hell out of them making ridiculous claims that their real world performance can't back, pay "neutral" publications to hype them up and then threaten to sue anyone who says anything negative about them (fortunately truth is a full defense to libel
wink.gif
).  Just ask Kurt Denke, the owner of Blue Jeans Cable.  Monster tried to sue him 2008 because he was making a better product for less, figuring they'd send him a big dog cease and desist letter and that he wouldn't know what to do.  Alas, he was a litigator for 19 years, but that's another story.  Anyhow, for me, that kind of behavior is no different from securities fraud or short-selling people's mortgages.  It's little removed from theft as far as I'm concerned.

I once had dinner with a congressman who shall remain nameless who explained to me, in all sincerity, that corporate lobbyists in congress were a necessity because they tend to represent the primary source of factual information on any given topic for lawmakers, and that said politicians wouldn't have time to educate themselves at all on anything if it weren't for them.  He explained that, oftentimes, the only source of information whatsoever he might have on a given piece of legislation was given to him by a lobbyist.  And he considered this to be "better than nothing."  This kind of cronyism ends up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy, as it continues to aggregate wealth in a smaller number of more and more well-connected hands.  So, given that we Americans at least (and honestly we're one of the less corrupt countries in this regard) find ourselves with politicians who think the internet is made of tubes running IT subcommittees (and subsequently producing such wonderfully convoluted, confused pieces of legislation as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act), in my mind, we need to vote with our dollars.  When consumers educate themselves, they swing the pendulum of demand generation back into their own hands.  The more people that refuse to buy what they're told to buy, that support the producers that do things the right way, the more viable an ethical, responsible business model becomes.  If knowledge is power, apathy will enslave you.

I hear you man but the comparison to Monsanto is quite a stretch.  Now that IS an evil company!

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #78 of 111

Quote:

Flat cable on headphones was first done by Sony I believe, before Monster made headphones.

Not sure if you are referring to the XBs but they introd around Feb 2009, Monster had the flat cable out by November 2008.  I remember being impressed by the flat cable at CES, until I listened to them and left the Monster booth expeditiously.  Took me many moons to give the Turbine Pros a shot after that.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #80 of 111
Quote:Originally Posted by Permagrin 

Quote:

"Reading these two posts back to back made me think of how isolating the SE530s are. Even without music playing I can't hear myself talking. I'll never fly again without them. Plus they sound amazing with the right source!"

I used to have the SE530 and found the isolation was dependent on the tips I used. I have to use the smallest silicone tips for my right ear. I was never a fan of foam tips.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #81 of 111

Quote:
I hear you man but the comparison to Monsanto is quite a stretch.  Now that IS an evil company!

So the order of magnitude may be on a different level, but the principle is the same!
rolleyes.gif
  Still in all, the point is that I don't think it's ENTIRELY on the consumer.

As far as the comfort of IEMs debate goes, I, personally, would much rather have my TRIPS in for 10 hours at a time than to have heavy NC over-ears that probably have sticky pleather pads that are going to make my ears sweat.  At this point, I don't even notice that my customs are in after a while.  Leaving that aside though, I don't think I've ever heard an active NC headphone that really does much of anything for me musically, and 10+ hours of mediocre sound would definitely bug me.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #82 of 111
HeadFi is so unbelievably biased against the Beats and Bose lines, it's incomprehensible. If the Beats had some German name behind them they'd be touted as Ultrasone killers. And to be honest, they're better than the best Ultrasones I've heard, which are the Pro 900s. That's just my opinion, though. Nothing I will say will change the tide of opinion here.

But for the record, the Denon NC732 started life at around $300 or so, and its sound doesn't even compare to the Beats Solos, much less the Beats Studios. Nobody hates on the NC732, but I honestly felt it's one of the better NC headphones out there. The Studios don't deserve so much hate.

But hey, enjoy what you want, I'll enjoy what I want.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #85 of 111
This is a funny thread.

(product) + Monster = overpriced

I've been using this formula for almost 10 years now. The math still adds up.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #86 of 111
X2 I, too, thought the Studios were better than the Ultrasone Pro 900s. I didn't try the Kees mod, but I didn't spend $400 to mod a headphone. The Edition 8 is better, but not 6 times better by any means. I also thought Audio Technica and Denon NC options were inferior to the Monster offerings.

The problem with IEMs is that it is not possible to know if the IEMs would give you a good fit. It is primarily guesswork. I know half the IEMs from good brands keep falling out from my ears, but somehow brands like Sony always gets the fit right... I used IEMs on the flight to Korea and friggin things keep coming out. I literally was shoving them back into my ears pissed off.

Quote:
HeadFi is so unbelievably biased against the Beats and Bose lines, it's incomprehensible. If the Beats had some German name behind them they'd be touted as Ultrasone killers. And to be honest, they're better than the best Ultrasones I've heard, which are the Pro 900s. That's just my opinion, though. Nothing I will say will change the tide of opinion here.

But for the record, the Denon NC732 started life at around $300 or so, and its sound doesn't even compare to the Beats Solos, much less the Beats Studios. Nobody hates on the NC732, but I honestly felt it's one of the better NC headphones out there. The Studios don't deserve so much hate.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #88 of 111
Oct 28, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #89 of 111
100000 to 1 neither of you compared the pro 900 side by side with the monster studios lol

if you had, you wouldn't say such things

This - $250?ish

And THIS $28

Are incredibly similar in sound quality and bass

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #90 of 111

Quote:

lol, did you read that post comparing monsanto to monster???  lobbying and congress???  jeebuz, talk about lack of perspective.  
rolleyes.gif
  it's just headphones and it's for enjoying music.

i got my studios for about $180 from an authorized dealer and imo, it wasn't overpriced.  i was very surprised by how good they sounded as i wasn't really expecting much.  comfort wasn't as good as my other headphones, but it's more convenient for me to throw into my backpack when i travel. (on the other hand, my Grado experience was sort of the reverse experience)

and hear hear, enjoy what you want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back