Beats studios are not overpriced.
Oct 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #46 of 111
I agree with what you are saying about how if one is paying for the NC then it should at least be very good.  The thing is that I find the Beats to have very noise cancellation.  When I put them on they completely drown out everything.  Maybe others had different experiences, or the people who tested the heapdphones had a different experience and the equipment picked up noises my ears couldn't hear, but for me I thought they cancelled noise well

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #47 of 111
Gotta chime in here, in terms of NC, I have a pair of Sony MDR-NC60 and on a purely NC-level, they work better than the Beats. Now I admit, I compared against the display pairs in Future Stop, but I'd imagine that the show pairs are the same, if not better, than the real product, so.
Oh and it sounds about the same. Less bass and highs are a bit grainy.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #48 of 111
Quote:
Which is why I put the HD25-1s on there.  They aren't NC, but passively block pretty much as much noise as the Beats do actively, while being supraural.
The point is, the active NC on the Beats costs a lot of extra money and eats batteries, but doesn't actually work any better than a decently designed passively isolating 'phone.  If the reason they aren't supposed to be over priced is because they are NC, then shouldn't the NC at least be pretty good?  The NC isn't good enough to justify the expense.  It would isolate more if they just ditched the ANC and improved the pads and damped the cups more, and it would be cheaper as well.
The NC Bose 'phones do have very good isolation, which is why they are some of the few Bose products I can respect.  They may not sound the best, but they do the ANC very well.  Other NC 'phones might not be as good as the Bose, but their NC is still as good as or better than the Beats.  I don't know how the sound compares though.

I'm not going to defend them sonically, but in terms of NC, they're really not as bad as you're making them. When I tried them in the Apple store, a user snapped cord on the table behind me and the alarm went off. It was only when I visually took note of everyone's responses, did I even notice the sound. It was otherwise very easy to miss. Living in NYC and having used them on the train to drown out the sounds of engines, impromptu performers and panhandlers, crying children, and train brakes, I can attest for them having a more than decent NC feature.

That being said, in terms of durability- they are absolute garbage. They are made of cheap plastic which garners fingerprints constantly and splits often. I bought the headphones when I had some extra play money. Coming from apple stock, they were aural nirvana. Now I'm investing in a new set with some real sonic integrity. I'm thinking about the AT-ES10.

I did try the V-moda crossfades there, which someone mentioned, and was unimpressed in comparison with the rendering of my music collection- just my opinion, perhaps a sour biased one due to a sore wallet, but one none the less. A lot of my music collection uses heavy synth and bass and I preferred the beats. Go ahead, crucify me.

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #49 of 111

Quote:
Except the NC on the Beats actually sucks.  I'd give them a pass if the NC actually did much of anything, but it doesn't...

And you know those are the Studios how?  The FRC on Headroom doesn't look like the Studios.  You realize there are four different Beats headphone not counting IEMs.  Btw, only one of them is referenced as 'Professional' and I'm pretty sure 99.999% of this site hasn't heard them.  I'm pretty sure many who have commented on what they thought they heard wasn't the phone they thought they heard.   

http://beatsbydre.com/products/showproducts.aspx?startBanner=1

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #50 of 111
To be fair, I found the Beats really comfortable and they sounded as good as my Shure SRH840's.  Only.. my Shures were 1/3 of the price.

I think the Beats are overpriced, but they don't necessarily sound bad.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #51 of 111

Quote:
And you know those are the Studios how?  The FRC on Headroom doesn't look like the Studios.  You realize there are four different Beats headphone not counting IEMs.  Btw, only one of them is referenced as 'Professional' and I'm pretty sure 99.999% of this site hasn't heard them.  I'm pretty sure many who have commented on what they thought they heard wasn't the phone they thought they heard.   

http://beatsbydre.com/products/showproducts.aspx?startBanner=1

I, alas, have a ton of experience dealing with incredulous neophytes for whom Beats are their only experience with better phones than iBuds, (the irony of the allusion in the aforementioned name to said phone's brewing equivalent is not lost on me), each of which insist that I can't possibly have heard these Monstrosities, and that I'm clearly being little more than an arrogant, elitist, reclusive audiophile with little better to do with my life than to work 80 hour weeks and eat ramen 3 meals a day just to save up for a slightly better piece of gear that I will soon be looking to upgrade anyways (all quite possibly true, but the provenance of a source of information doesn't overdetermine its validity
atsmile.gif
).  As such, I've had to pop on a pair and listen at least five or six times now.  Usually in these situations all I've got on me are my TRIPS, and since those are most certainly not going in anyone's ears other than mine (no seriously...), I can't exactly show them the light.  But the experience is the same every time, no matter how I try them (everything from straight out of a Sansa Clip+, to out of an HM-801, to out of a Duet fed Scherzo Andante): muddy, aggressive, extremely poor detail recovery, cramped soundstage...the list pretty much goes on.  They're basically a nightmare.  I honestly prefer my old Portapros...  Oh, and as a quick aside for the "sometimes you need NC" crowd: buy some decent IEMs.  You'll get better isolation than with pretty much any close shell OR active NC headphone anyways.  Hell, at 350 dollars buy some CUSTOM IEMs...you'll get a 28db pad out of those!

Now, oddly enough, my beef is not with Beats being inherently crappy.  Skullcandy phones are inherently crappy, but they're also usually pretty cheap, and they're clearly selling a style aesthetic, and nothing more.  My beef with Beats Studio is the second word.  The multi-million dollar advertising campaign that should have been spent on R&D and QC that instead got spent on Dre's ugly mug growling dat dis done be what he hear in da studio.  No doubt this clarion truth is indicative of the inherent musical prowess within.  My beef is with the fact that, much as big beer has done since prohibition vis-a-vie lobbying, expensive, largely off-topic ad campaigns that sell a lifestyle and a social norm rather than a product, frivolous lawsuits against independent companies and constant, ad-nauseum exposure, Monster has essentially managed to bamboozle their way into a level of market share that should have been reserved for the genuine innovators in the headphone field.  You've suddenly managed to convince a good chunk of the population to drop 350 bucks (or even 200 bucks for that matter) on headphones?  HECK YEA!  May I present:

Beyerdynamic
Grado
Audio-Technica
Ultrasone
Fischer
Etymotic Research
Head-Direct/HiFiman

I mean, hell, this is a big ole headphone party, let's invite the massive companies too!

AKG (ahem...HARMON INTERNATIONAL...yes, even with their hideous nuclear-waste green Q702s that are at least still decent phones)
Sennheiser
Shure
Sony
JVC
Koss
Denon

In my mind, are several of the companies I've just mentioned selling products that aren't worth the asking price?  You betcha.  Are any of them making their living EXCLUSIVELY on products that aren't worth the asking price (and, as a fledgling cable manufacturer discovering just how cheap it is to make decent cable, I can assure you the rest of Monster's lineup ain't exactly bang-for-your-buck either...)?  Nope.  Frankly, I think Monster is the kind of company that shouldn't be suffered to exist.  They contribute nothing even remotely useful to the world, and prey upon the malleability of a largely apathetic, ignorant consumer base.  Ever wonder why every big beer commercial is all about ice-cold this or that?  Because at 34 degrees your tastebuds are so numb that you can't tell just how poor the quality of the ingredients and the craftsmanship is on their swill in the first place.  Then again, the average SPL level of a typical pop/hip-hop/fill-in-the-blank automaton robo-drivel concert has probably had an equivalent effect on the average eardrum, so maybe it doesn't matter.  But, for what it's worth given that that there aren't that many minds to change on head-fi in the first place, I for one am grateful to have resources such as this one that afford me the education and knowledge to be happily sipping away on some Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA while listening to Taylor Eigsti on K702s and an Andante. 

Viva la vie intelligente!

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #52 of 111
Wow. Bravo. Respect. Well said.

Quote:
I, alas, have a ton of experience dealing with incredulous neophytes for whom Beats are their only experience with better phones than iBuds, (the irony of the allusion in the aforementioned name to said phone's brewing equivalent is not lost on me), each of which insist that I can't possibly have heard these Monstrosities, and that I'm clearly being little more than an arrogant, elitist, reclusive audiophile with little better to do with my life than to work 80 hour weeks and eat ramen 3 meals a day just to save up for a slightly better piece of gear that I will soon be looking to upgrade anyways (all quite possibly true, but the provenance of a source of information doesn't overdetermine its validity
atsmile.gif
).  As such, I've had to pop on a pair and listen at least five or six times now.  Usually in these situations all I've got on me are my TRIPS, and since those are most certainly not going in anyone's ears other than mine (no seriously...), I can't exactly show them the light.  But the experience is the same every time, no matter how I try them (everything from straight out of a Sansa Clip+, to out of an HM-801, to out of a Duet fed Scherzo Andante): muddy, aggressive, extremely poor detail recovery, cramped soundstage...the list pretty much goes on.  They're basically a nightmare.  I honestly prefer my old Portapros...  Oh, and as a quick aside for the "sometimes you need NC" crowd: buy some decent IEMs.  You'll get better isolation than with pretty much any close shell OR active NC headphone anyways.  Hell, at 350 dollars buy some CUSTOM IEMs...you'll get a 28db pad out of those!

Now, oddly enough, my beef is not with Beats being inherently crappy.  Skullcandy phones are inherently crappy, but they're also usually pretty cheap, and they're clearly selling a style aesthetic, and nothing more.  My beef with Beats Studio is the second word.  The multi-million dollar advertising campaign that should have been spent on R&D and QC that instead got spent on Dre's ugly mug growling dat dis done be what he hear in da studio.  No doubt this clarion truth is indicative of the inherent musical prowess within.  My beef is with the fact that, much as big beer has done since prohibition vis-a-vie lobbying, expensive, largely off-topic ad campaigns that sell a lifestyle and a social norm rather than a product, frivolous lawsuits against independent companies and constant, ad-nauseum exposure, Monster has essentially managed to bamboozle their way into a level of market share that should have been reserved for the genuine innovators in the headphone field.  You've suddenly managed to convince a good chunk of the population to drop 350 bucks (or even 200 bucks for that matter) on headphones?  HECK YEA!  May I present:

Beyerdynamic
Grado
Audio-Technica
Ultrasone
Fischer
Etymotic Research
Head-Direct/HiFiman

I mean, hell, this is a big ole headphone party, let's invite the massive companies too!

AKG (ahem...HARMON INTERNATIONAL...yes, even with their hideous nuclear-waste green Q702s that are at least still decent phones)
Sennheiser
Shure
Sony
JVC
Koss
Denon

In my mind, are several of the companies I've just mentioned selling products that aren't worth the asking price?  You betcha.  Are any of them making their living EXCLUSIVELY on products that aren't worth the asking price (and, as a fledgling cable manufacturer discovering just how cheap it is to make decent cable, I can assure you the rest of Monster's lineup ain't exactly bang-for-your-buck either...)?  Nope.  Frankly, I think Monster is the kind of company that shouldn't be suffered to exist.  They contribute nothing even remotely useful to the world, and prey upon the malleability of a largely apathetic, ignorant consumer base.  Ever wonder why every big beer commercial is all about ice-cold this or that?  Because at 34 degrees your tastebuds are so numb that you can't tell just how poor the quality of the ingredients and the craftsmanship is on their swill in the first place.  Then again, the average SPL level of a typical pop/hip-hop/fill-in-the-blank automaton robo-drivel concert has probably had an equivalent effect on the average eardrum, so maybe it doesn't matter.  But, for what it's worth given that that there aren't that many minds to change on head-fi in the first place, I for one am grateful to have resources such as this one that afford me the education and knowledge to be happily sipping away on some Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA while listening to Taylor Eigsti on K702s and an Andante. 

Viva la vie intelligente!

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #54 of 111
I listened to the Beats at Best Buy.  They don't sound terrible, and if you like the sound and it's worth the premium to you, then so be it.  However, it simply cannot be stated that the Beats sound quality, as far as neutrality is concerned, is comparable to some of the other phones at that price range.  I would much rather have my MS-1's, HD595's, or hell, even the Razer Barracuda 5.1 surround headset that Best Buy sells as well for half the price.  I even have the Creative Fatal1ty headset from there and that is much more neutral.  But preference is opinion, and if you like them, why not buy them?

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #56 of 111
I call 'em like I see 'em
cool.gif
.  But in all seriousness, in nearly every industry, from HiFi and music to brewing and distilling and every artisanal craft in between, there is someone out there who's doing it better, as a labor of love.  Joel Salatin (he of the now famous Polyface farms) who spends 16 hour days mapping crop and grazing rotation cycles so he can support a symbiotic, self-sustaining, naturally efficient polyculture as opposed to running a CAFO, force feeding his livestock cheap feed corn their bodies can't handle and pumping them full of antibiotics to compensate?  He's doing it better.  Gretchen Parlato, whose theoretical command, vocal control, compositional ingenuity, subtlety and touch are so masterful that in spite of the fact that her vocal timbre is the very type I tend to prefer the least, leaves me mesmerized by her performance every time I see her as opposed to yet another fat-cat confected starlet-as-train-wreck, lip-synching the same monotonic 2 chord auto-tuned processed pop foods over and over again and dressing up like an irradiated crustacean to remain the farcical darling of our collective macabre fascination just long enough to rake in a couple million more?  She's doing it better. 

For me, personally, there are many things I'm passionate about.  The arts of food and drink, animation and film, sound and music.  For every one of those arts, the more I educate myself, the more I search and learn, the more and more genius and inspiration I find.  If everyone took just one thing she cared about passionately, and educated herself, searched for the impassioned artisans and innovators in the field that she chose, learned about the science and theory and craft of that field, supported the people who are doing it better and maybe even started doing it better herself, we might just find ourselves living in a meritocratic world again. 

So go out and pick something!  The human mind is vast and infinite.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #58 of 111
uh...let me try!

Umm.. your dumb dude beats are the best headphones EVAR!

Did I win??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back