Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #406 of 444

You shouldn't judge V-Moda based on their in-ears, which were a real letdown.  It's their full-sized headphones, especially the on-ears like the M-80 and the XS, which are worth getting excited about.  The V-Moda M-80 sound AMAZING for their price, actually.  They've dropped to something like only 89 dollars new on Amazon, which I can assure you is an INSANELY good deal for their build-quality and the sound you get from them.  In fact, they are quite likely one of the top five best deals money-for-sound wise in the head-fi world, at the moment, with how their price has dropped.

v-moda in ears were only a letdown after they changed their sound for the neutral crowd which I assume their over the heads also follow.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #407 of 444
Since you hear the sound difference in a quite environment it means that difference is there and favors of course the cable model. So, Bluetooth = one more device to charge, one more potentially dangerous wireless radiation source on your head, a little inferior SQ in comparison to cable, much more expensive than cable!!! All above vs convenience of non existing cable tangle! Personally I will take the cable tangling...

Yeh you're definitely paying a fair bit more for the convenience of Bluetooth and its really more of a luxury than a necessity for most. The more I use them the more I find myself really favouring them, from convenient portable listening to being able to stroll round my house unplugged or watching movies in bed. If only the studios sounded as good, the improved comfort would be great.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #408 of 444
  They have enough mids/highs for me and most people. But I can understand them having too much bass for some people, them seeing it as distortion is common. But reviews often talk about how they don't' distort even at full volumes which I agree with, though any less bass would be weak to me.

it really depends on the crowd their catering towards beats is a mainstream brand, and if most people feel like their lacking bass in the music, then let there be BASS

and bass for the most part doesn't fatigue as much as mids/ highs

so in comparison if you had a tremendously bass skewed/heavy earphone compared to say a tremendously treble heavy/ bright earphone

and your demographic listens to their music loud (hence the frequently used term.... turn it up man!)

very quickly you would prefer the bass heavy one, its just less grating on the ears

and it helps that you can feel the bass too (which some people find quite a sensation), i can't say i'm immune to DAT bass though (certainly raised my heart rate when watching Avengers in the theatre)

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #409 of 444
Alrighty! I finally managed to get it together, but would you guys like to give my review of the Solo 2 a read 

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/2015/12/beats-solo-2-first-of-many.html

I'll have a proper song by song breakdown here in the next few days, that way we can dig a little deeper. 

I still think though, this is a great first headphone to own if your in the $200 price range! 

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #410 of 444
Alrighty! I finally managed to get it together, but would you guys like to give my review of the Solo 2 a read 

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/2015/12/beats-solo-2-first-of-many.html

I'll have a proper song by song breakdown here in the next few days, that way we can dig a little deeper. 

I still think though, this is a great first headphone to own if your in the $200 price range! 

You might want to run it thru a spell checker but overall a good, accurate review imo.

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #411 of 444
You might want to run it thru a spell checker but overall a good, accurate review imo.

Yea I did grammar before, an I'll need to process it in word before hand 

thanks though, ofc Face Book threads hate me for posting it hhh, half of them won't even acknowledge the thought of it being listenable 

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #412 of 444
if you get one at discount they are quite good.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #417 of 444
Has anyone compared the Solo2 to the Bose On-Ear headphones? 

(Either the On-Ear 2, or the Soundtrue On-ear which I think sound the same.)

The Bose on ears were more comfortable for me but the solo 2 sounded better with more bass and more balanced through the mids and treble. If you're familiar with the Bose house sound then you'll know what the on ears are like.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #418 of 444
Just bought a pair of these to take with me to the gym. $99 at target so I figured I'd give them a shot. I gotta say for the money I spent I'm enjoying them. I wouldn't have $200 or whatever they retail for but I won't be returning them.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #419 of 444
Just a thought, then I will go back to
Just observing the site. Promise.

Something just rubs me the wrong way seeing tyll and lachlan upping these. If these werent priced so highly, I wouldn't have near as much issues with them but $200-$300 dollars is, for a lot of people some serious cash. When you put it into perspective its in some cases an entire weeks pay. You can support a family for a week. So for that kind of value, I would expect little to no plastic and heavy R&D with perhaps something unique in the driver design or something. Look at JVC. They have so much engineering genius. Carbon nano tubes, kelton woofers, dual drivers, wooden diaphragms soaked in sake, they use brass in their earphones..... I digress. I dunno, I just think that beats have really done a huge disservice to the hobby. Seems everyone is a little too eager to just get over that. So what, they finally made a phone that sound decent, big deal. Have we forgotten that they should have done that from the beginning? Their reputation in the community is a deserved one, why not let them go down with the ship? They have already seen tons of undeserved success from under engineered products that were nothing more than a money grab. Why are we so eager to continue to fill their pockets? Why can't we all stand together and say sorry guys too little too late?

Then I watch Lachlan's Vmoda xs review.
He gave them a negative mention for their train catching performance? Stating that he is always running to catch a train, and the xs move around on his head when he runs. Seems silly.he gives them another negative mention for the fact that they will move if you yank the cord? Cmon!? What's next bashing them for there ability to burn when subjected to hot flames??

Yet beats makes a new plastic can that sounds better than the old plastic can and he's all ready to declare it superior to the xs? I don't know, mabey its just me but I consider engineering and design R&D some of the most important and appealing things when I consider a headphone. Not just if it sounds better than the old model.

In the end, I wish beats new phones would have went something like this: beats PR: "beats made a new headphone" headphone community: "who cares?"

Really? You want to dismiss the gains Beats has made because of past product releases? Yup, these cans are (mostly) plastic. Yup, Beats put out some less than stellar stuff in the past. But ThickT, this can is not dismiss-able. Much like Kia and Hyundai autos, they had a bad start. But guess what? Just like Kia and Hyundai, Beats has vastly improved their product to the point that the functional ability of the product matches the impressive styling, and is a sound investment at their price-point. Why would you complain about that? Because Beats, owned by Apple, has improved their product, the brands you love and support will have a compelling reason to both improve their offerings and strive to do so cheaper. Heads-up dude, ALL BUSINESSES are in the pursuit of grabbing money. It just so happens that Beats is rather skilled in this endeavor, as is Sennheiser, Vmoda and any other audio accessory you deem respectable and worthy of your hard earned dollar. Take your phone and an open mind and head to Target or Best Buy and just LISTEN. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back