Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Sep 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #361 of 444
  That's a damn good deal if you've already got a chord!

You know, the prie of the V-Moda M-80 on Amazon has dropped to under 90 dollars new.  It's an excellent deal.

I was sure that the auction would have a reserve but nope. And then I was sure I had bought fakes but nope again lol. They have put a lot of "Beats Killers" on the shelf to collect dust.

*checks price*..........so the cycle continues hahaha

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #362 of 444
Sound of Solo2 is truly awesome. The only problem I get is that they are too uncomfortable for me. They are the most uncomfortable of all my headphones. They give pain to my left ear after just half an hour of use. But both SQ and balance among frequencies are really unique.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #363 of 444
Hey all, I'm seriously happy to see a Beats thread that doesn't devolve into a hate fest! 

I have the Beats Solo2 in white and I must admit that I really like them. Quite a bit more than I thought I would, to be honest. I actually bought mine before I knew that they were on the Wall of Fame at innerfidelity. To tell you the truth, I bought them it was merely out of curiosity. I wanted to know what the "hype" was really all about...both good and bad, as I had no previous experience with any Beats headphones.

I found the white ones at Best Buy for $170 (I have a thing for white, but admittedly that pic of the blue ones a page back has me a bit jealous though LOL!) and decided to pull the trigger.

Initially, I was powering them from my Nexus 10 tablet, and was a bit underwhelmed. I then decided to try them on my 30gb 5.5 gen iPod video, and was shocked at how much better they sound! A MUCH better 'phone than I had initially given them credit for.

Just last week, I bought an iPhone 6 (my first "nice" phone) and thought that they sounded just as good as my old iPod, or at the very least, the two were close enough in SQ, that it's not worth carrying two devices if it's not convenient for me.

I also liked having the controls on the cable, and did some test calls with my GF to see if everything sounded ok like that...she had no complaints and said I sounded fine.

These are a definite win, not only for the Beats brand, but all audiophiles as well IMO. The combo of "popular headphone AND great SQ" are great for the hobby as a whole.

Great thread! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #364 of 444

It's not the SQ isn't worth 140, man.  It totally is.  The issue is that you can get the same level of SQ, along with better (read: sturdier, MUCH sturdier) build-quality, for 30 to 40 bucks cheaper by getting something like the Momentum On-Ears or the V-Moda M-80.

solo 2 have been rated better than those by some people so that is just a matter of opinion/preference.  I used to have v-moda bass freq earbuds but they remodeled them and they sound bad now IMO so I prefer beats or sony these days.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #365 of 444
Spending all this time learning about great headphones, only to return to the brand I would've bought if I hadn't become an enthusiast is embarrassing.

I have been a music enthusiast for decades, have tried many brands and I enjoy new gen beats. Nothing embarrassing about it unless a having a popular headphone does the trick aka hipsters. Though I can understand possibly not liking their sound signature( happens with every brand)when that varies from person to person.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #366 of 444
  These are a definite win, not only for the Beats brand, but all audiophiles as well IMO. The combo of "popular headphone AND great SQ" are great for the hobby as a whole.

Great thread! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly what we were talking about on here earlier.  It's nice that FINALLY, people who just go to Walmart or Best Buy looking to buy some fancy headphones (or fancy by non-audiophile consumer standards, I mean) will end up walking out with something that ACTUALLY has excellent sound-quality!
biggrin.gif

solo 2 have been rated better than those by some people so that is just a matter of opinion/preference.  I used to have v-moda bass freq earbuds but they remodeled them and they sound bad now IMO so I prefer beats or sony these days.

You shouldn't judge V-Moda based on their in-ears, which were a real letdown.  It's their full-sized headphones, especially the on-ears like the M-80 and the XS, which are worth getting excited about.  The V-Moda M-80 sound AMAZING for their price, actually.  They've dropped to something like only 89 dollars new on Amazon, which I can assure you is an INSANELY good deal for their build-quality and the sound you get from them.  In fact, they are quite likely one of the top five best deals money-for-sound wise in the head-fi world, at the moment, with how their price has dropped.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #367 of 444
Exactly what we were talking about on here earlier.  It's nice that FINALLY, people who just go to Walmart or Best Buy looking to buy some fancy headphones (or fancy by non-audiophile consumer standards, I mean) will end up walking out with something that ACTUALLY has excellent sound-quality! :D
a person I know from school was looking at the Solo HD at WalMart last week when I was looking at CD's, so I kindly walked over to him, had a chat for about four minutes, and he walked out with a Solo2 instead. He couldn't be happier.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #368 of 444
  Exactly what we were talking about on here earlier.  It's nice that FINALLY, people who just go to Walmart or Best Buy looking to buy some fancy headphones (or fancy by non-audiophile consumer standards, I mean) will end up walking out with something that ACTUALLY has excellent sound-quality!
biggrin.gif

You shouldn't judge V-Moda based on their in-ears, which were a real letdown.  It's their full-sized headphones, especially the on-ears like the M-80 and the XS, which are worth getting excited about.  The V-Moda M-80 sound AMAZING for their price, actually.  They've dropped to something like only 89 dollars new on Amazon, which I can assure you is an INSANELY good deal for their build-quality and the sound you get from them.  In fact, they are quite likely one of the top five best deals money-for-sound wise in the head-fi world, at the moment, with how their price has dropped.

I prefer how earbuds sound to most over the heads even within beats though I do not use an amp on my ps vita

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #369 of 444
  I prefer how earbuds sound to most over the heads even within beats though I do not use an amp on my ps vita

I've had a chance to listen to UrBeats in-ears before, and OH MY GOD THEY WERE SO AWFUL!

Look at this graph:

http://en.goldenears.net/28093

AGGGGGH *vomits violently*  Those aren't just for bassheads, man.  Those are for people who literally care about NOTHING BUT BASS.  The bass is so, SO boosted and the mids so recessed that you can't hear anything else at all besides the bass the least bit clearly and it just sounds like a jumbled muddy mess of complete crap.  From what I could hear the bass was also fairly distorted at high volumes, which is inexcusable from IEM's.

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #370 of 444
I've had a chance to listen to UrBeats in-ears before, and OH MY GOD THEY WERE SO AWFUL!

Look at this graph:

http://en.goldenears.net/28093

AGGGGGH *vomits violently*  Those aren't just for bassheads, man.  Those are for people who literally care about NOTHING BUT BASS.  The bass is so, SO boosted and the mids so recessed that you can't hear anything else at all besides the bass the least bit clearly and it just sounds like a jumbled muddy mess of complete crap.  From what I could hear the bass was also fairly distorted at high volumes, which is inexcusable from IEM's.
I think he was referring to the Tour2. Go look at innerfidelity.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #371 of 444
I think he was referring to the Tour2. Go look at innerfidelity.

Yeah it's still so bass-heavy as to be considered BEYOND mere "basshead" level, in my opinion.  And what is up with those gross-looking 300Hz square-waves?

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #372 of 444
Yeah it's still so bass-heavy as to be considered BEYOND mere "basshead" level, in my opinion.  And what is up with those gross-looking 300Hz square-waves?
tyll said they're decent basshead IEM's soooo

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #373 of 444
tyll said they're decent basshead IEM's soooo

I definitely very much like Innerfidelity and Tyll's reviews, but, I do not always agree with his assessments of stuff, to be honest.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #374 of 444
biggrin.gif

might as well be a fanBoi for the Solo 2, I make a damn nice commission for selling them an guess what... [they ACTUALLY SOUND GOOD :O]

but yea, I got a pair of HD 25-1 II's an... the Solo 2... walks ALL OVER the old Senn can. Better build quality, better presentation, better assceories, an oh wait BETTER FREAKING sound

which is a shame, because the HD 25-1 II is a legend! But at $250 the $199 solo 2 really is the better deal :/ 

thank gawd Beats finally got it right! 

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #375 of 444
 might as well be a fanBoi for the Solo 2, I make a damn nice commission for selling them an guess what... [they ACTUALLY SOUND GOOD :O]

but yea, I got a pair of HD 25-1 II's an... the Solo 2... walks ALL OVER the old Senn can. Better build quality, better presentation, better assceories, an oh wait BETTER FREAKING sound

which is a shame, because the HD 25-1 II is a legend! But at $250 the $199 solo 2 really is the better deal :/ 

thank gawd Beats finally got it right! 

really? i listened to both and prefer hd25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back