Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Oct 14, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #256 of 444
vantt1 said:
 Hah interesting read and discussions. TBH makes me want to give them a try.

Whats funny is the power of just 1 good reviewer. Like everything...it's just his opinion. But funny how his reviews starts a lot of hypes. From UE 6000, to vmodas, Philips X2.
I am also an avid reader and follower. But i learn that hype and real life personal listening arent the same thing. Still i can understand why people think it's not genuine or that they have paid him off someway. 3 billion$ can carry a lot of persuasion. Quite understandable seeing how big his influence is. Haha.Still you can challenge his views easily with measurements or by giving it a good listen.

But with 3 billion $ it could also be quite easy to upgrade the sound and build. They already made the money. People loves it looks and style. How hard is it to make good sounding headphones with good graphs. Not much it seems. Beats were able to do it in 2 tries.

Well until it's proven otherwise I trust Tyll to be honest if maybe a bit hyperbolic.With hyperbolic i am thinking sure Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic can make on ears thats better than the venerable HD25s. A newbie like Vmoda could get lucky building on a good M80 as a newbie. But going from a beats solo to a WOF with beats2 truly intrigues me.

Beats has been in the doghouse for 3 things. Sound. Which is now resolved with a bang. Build. I guess we will know soon enough.This was a major issue with the beats. For the price it didnt last long or was durable enough. Unlike its competitors at that pricerange.
And lastly it's price. i dont believe it's great value..but if you get mentioned audio wise with the flagship on ears from Senns, Beyers and vmoda...than at 200$ is not overpriced anymore. Definitely if they can resolve the build issue.(Still plastic)

Anyway I really want to give it a try. My concern is if its wellrounded enough to play other music genres or is it only capable with hiphop etc. Making it more a niche headphone. (Then I find it curious that its on WOF) On paper the headphone sound signature is perfect for my taste.
To bad tyll has not given the studio2 a review.

Regarding your point on whether or not it can play other genres well, I listen to everything from dubstep and rap to classical and rock. Primarily though, I listen to classic rock, 90s alternative, funk and thrash metal. These headphones have an excellent balance for those genres. Guitar sounds crisp, bass sounds tight and punchy, vocals can sound darkand warm at times but I actually like that, and drums thump on your ears. Very fun listening experience.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #257 of 444

That's the difference between consumer and audiophile headphones. The former will work reasonably well with any genre and produce relatively outstanding sound without the use of an amp, and the latter needs burn in, amplification, balanced cables, and the appreciation for high fidelity.

I don't even know what the term audiophile is supposed to mean honestly. I mean I've played instruments my whole life, I'm a concert addict, I listen to a ridiculous quantity/variation of music and I can hear very minute nuances in music that a casual listener might not pick up. With that said, a sound that is too flat doesn't really make the experience that enjoyable in my opinion. These headphones allow me to feel immersed in the music more so than many self proclaimed "audiophile" headphones have. If you're a producer or something of the sort, it would make sense but if you're just trying to have fun listening to some tunes without sacrificing a full range of frequencies, than these headphones make a lot of sense.

It's a pretty loose term that separates consumer headphones to others that are a bit beyond consumer grade. It might be better used as an indication of target market; I don't know 
confused.gif

How do you guys feel solo headphones would be for exercise? Over the ear has the problem of making my ears sweat too much

They are light and not to stuffy, but it has a considerable amount of "physical noise". Let's say you were jogging on a treadmill. You'll hear the sounds of your footsteps resonated through your body to your ears.

vantt1 said:
<da rant>

Regarding your point on whether or not it can play other genres well, I listen to everything from dubstep and rap to classical and rock. Primarily though, I listen to classic rock, 90s alternative, funk and thrash metal. These headphones have an excellent balance for those genres. Guitar sounds crisp, bass sounds tight and punchy, vocals can sound darkand warm at times but I actually like that, and drums thump on your ears. Very fun listening experience.

Not sure how I got into that...

Yep, it's a good all-rounder that's a bit on the warm side.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #258 of 444

Yep, it's a good all-rounder that's a bit on the warm side.

My taste in music is eclectic, but my taste in soundsignature is always the same. Must be neutral(can play everything as meant to be), but with a strong bass/beat/thump. 
No problem with warmish sound.like Bowers& Wilkins.

What I am trying to avoid is like with the m Audio Q40.High expectations. But not neutral enough. Bass bit overbearing when it doesnt need to be. Like a subwoofer thats not tuned properly.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #259 of 444
Well i just sold my XS because i felt like i need some change and well this thing just appears in front of my eyes. I like warm, bassy-sounding headphones but with clarity and clearness, not some dark/dull-sounding like the Momentum On Ear. I've used the M-80, the M-100 and the XS, and now i want to try the Solo 2 although i before hated Beats's product. But consider that i don't have an opportunity to try them (there aren't any in my country), i'd like to ask u guys that, does this headphones suits my taste or not? Yes i like bass, i listen to EDM, i like pumping, energetic-kind-of-sound but i don't want it to be like "Beats HD" or something from Beats before.

My sound signature is somewhat like the V-Moda XS and the DT-1350. Actually i really really like the 1350 but they're not that portable (the cable is too long and undetachable), and it lacks a little bit of bass imo. The HD25, well, idk but i don't like them cause they're too dark, and their mid is just too dry. So after read all of the review, from Tyll, from Lachlan, idk, i just really want to try out the Solo 2 , but it sure will be a blind buy. Too risky right :p

P/s: Sorry for my English.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #260 of 444
To the two posters above, I'd say it's definitely a consideration. The sound still leans towards the bassy sound of things, but in such a way that it doesn't drown out the mids or highs. And if you like a headphone that you can really feel the music on your ears you'll enjoy these. At first I thought the soundstage was a bit close but after a week of getting used to the sound I've never enjoyed a headphone more in my life and I've used a bunch of other higher end products.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #261 of 444
To the two posters above, I'd say it's definitely a consideration. The sound still leans towards the bassy sound of things, but in such a way that it doesn't drown out the mids or highs. And if you like a headphone that you can really feel the music on your ears you'll enjoy these. At first I thought the soundstage was a bit close but after a week of getting used to the sound I've never enjoyed a headphone more in my life and I've used a bunch of other higher end products.

Well sir first thank you for your opinion. Idkw but audiophiles (generally) these days hate bassy sound. When the M-100 came out they were all like "woah these thing have too many bass" or "sound just for consumers not for audiophiles" or some sort like that. At that time, i didn't know anything about the M-100, so i decided to blindbought myself, and when i listened to those for the 1st time, i was like "holy crap What is this"... Cause imo the M-100's bass was just too soft and i couldn't feel any rumble or chest-hitting bass or something like all the reviewer had said. And when they praised the Momentum, i decided to try them out too but imo they're not that good. My point is, nowadays people trust audiophile for the knowledge for headphones, but sounding is all about personal preference, and i don't think audiophile will love bass or electric music. User's reviews are much more accurate and suitable for me. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #262 of 444
I totally agree with you that bass is neglected on a lot of upper end headphones. I think that's also because there is a fine line between too much and just enough bass and my first thought when I heard this pair was that they do an excellent job of walking that line. Its almost as if they adapt to the genre. What i mean is that if im listening to acoustic music, the guitar sounds bright and clear, but if im listening to electronic music the sub bass really fills the space and hits hard.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #263 of 444
How do these compare to the new studios? I am one of the few that arent afraid to stand by the new studios. I love mine. For the package I was looking for(portability, detachable cable, hard case, noise cancellation), they ended up being great for me.

I wonder how these compare

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #264 of 444
How do these compare to the new studios? I am one of the few that arent afraid to stand by the new studios. I love mine. For the package I was looking for(portability, detachable cable, hard case, noise cancellation), they ended up being great for me.

I wonder how these compare

Well, for starters, the New Beats Studios have active noise cancellation, and a hard case. The Solo 2s don't have ANC, and only have a soft case that's comparatively harder to get the headphones into. Otherwise, they're even more portable than the New Studios, as well as having the standard detachable cable. It only comes with a single cable with an inline remote though, no non-remote cable. Sound quality-wise, the Solo 2s will sound more "closed", because it is smaller and on-ear. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #265 of 444
Today i've blindbought myself and i gotta say "damm the hype is real". Although the bass seems to be a little bit "shallow" compare to the XS, but overall i think Beats has totally done a great job from taking over the market from the V-Moda XS or the others. Totally worth 199$, or even more. Definitely a huge step forward from Beats. Highly recommended.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #266 of 444
Today i've blindbought myself and i gotta say "damm the hype is real". Although the bass seems to be a little bit "shallow" compare to the XS, but overall i think Beats has totally done a great job from taking over the market from the V-Moda XS or the others. Totally worth 199$, or even more. Definitely a huge step forward from Beats. Highly recommended.

Glad we didn't steer you in the wrong direction. I have a feeling that very few people will have a problem with the sound, even at this price range, because there is very little that these cans can't handle in a balanced manner.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #267 of 444
Hi all,

Couldnt resist and gave them a try. 
The one I got was FAR from neutral.The (mid)bass thump was omnipresent and extremely noticeble. I don't think i have had a headphone with such thumpiness before. Not even the Q40. Tbh the q40 has more bass rumble and feel to it compared with the Solo2.

It's quite read sound signature to me. Most bass heavy headphones has thump..and rumble. But the Solo2 has more thump than rumble. And maybe the lack of bass rumble means the mids and highs were relatively clean. 

The thump though is noticeble when there is any beat in the music you are listening to. Compared to the old Solo...HUGE improvement. Solo was so messy.
I think i you like the thump...you are pretty much set. Safe to call it a fun headphone.

Anyway I wonder how I will like this headphone.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #268 of 444
  Safe to call it a fun headphone.

That's how I see all Beats headphones. They don't have to be taken seriously, but there's no reason to dis them, either.

I agree that the old Solo was as mess, but the Solo HD was comparatively a pretty good upgrade (thanks to its woofer + tweeter setup). Its only downfall was its distinct V-curve signature that killed the mids, and isolated the bass and highs from each other. That was probably the work of the crossover inside the speakers.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #269 of 444
  That's how I see all Beats headphones. They don't have to be taken seriously, but there's no reason to dis them, either.

I agree that the old Solo was as mess, but the Solo HD was comparatively a pretty good upgrade (thanks to its woofer + tweeter setup). Its only downfall was its distinct V-curve signature that killed the mids, and isolated the bass and highs from each other. That was probably the work of the crossover inside the speakers.

I think "fun" is an important aspect of headphones too. It gives you energy, power and feelings to pass the day. When listen too other "audiophile headphones", indeed that they will give you the real sound, the emotional sound, the "spectacular experience",... but they can't make you toe-tapping, fingers-flickin, headbanging or booty-shaking (lol)...

I've been enjoyed my "high quality sound experience" in about 3 or 4 years although all of my previous headphones were just on-ear and portable one, and they weren't the type that require any amp or DAC or something such complicated like that. I just plug n play them straight to my iPod and enjoy myself. It's the purpose of these things: too make people feels happy and feel satisfied, right?

/Sorry for my bad English again. Haven't used them for quite a long time and i've forgotten all of the grammar. iQué tonto estoy!

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #270 of 444

I think "fun" is an important aspect of headphones too. It gives you energy, power and feelings to pass the day. When listen too other "audiophile headphones", indeed that they will give you the real sound, the emotional sound, the "spectacular experience",... but they can't make you toe-tapping, fingers-flickin, headbanging or booty-shaking (lol)...

I've been enjoyed my "high quality sound experience" in about 3 or 4 years although all of my previous headphones were just on-ear and portable one, and they weren't the type that require any amp or DAC or something such complicated like that. I just plug n play them straight to my iPod and enjoy myself. It's the purpose of these things: too make people feels happy and feel satisfied, right?

/Sorry for my bad English again. Haven't used them for quite a long time and i've forgotten all of the grammar. iQué tonto estoy!

That's right! In the end, it really is all about the enjoyment of the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back