Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Sep 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #243 of 444
Couple of times(Ex wife son has them and see him regularly)so long enough to hear it's not that good for the price....half the money you pay is for the B......

If we're going by that logic (which is a completely incorrect illustration of the circumstances, I might add), I think half the money is a bit of an underestimation. Wouldn't it be worth more like 70-80%?

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #244 of 444
I am not trolling dude i am dead serious,out of all headphones buying Beats means just no taste at all.....not in looks and sound quality no matter what Tyll says about them.I give them a 5 and i want/need a 9 or a 10 to really enjoy headphones,just cannot believe people buy these LOL!!

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #245 of 444
Yeah, Tyll really has no taste. Look at that jerk, I mean he says his favorite headphones are crap like the LCD-3! What a putz! 

I've been saying for a while that Beats could release an ortho with a perfect response curve, no distortion, a gorgeous soundstage, sell it for $400, and the Anti Beats Brigade would call it overpriced crap. Some people are really insecure in themselves and headphone-ophiles and need to stamp their little feet and insist that none of it is good.

You can tell who's honest about sound because they don't let brand affect their decisions, in either direction. At $200, these are just beater headphones for a lot of guys here, and yet... somehow people still pick 'em up. Guys with $1000+ flagships in their collection, guys who are way past wearing them for status symbols. 

You'd almost think, gasp, it's all the "wah wah beetz suxxx" people who are just being slaves to branding...

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #247 of 444
As you well should. If you like a warmer, bassy sound these are excellent for a $200 portable.

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #248 of 444
Solo 2 measure extremely good, for $200 it seems to be a real bargain (at least measurement-wise). If I was looking for a dark sounding headphone I would consider getting these Beats.

I'm not sure how else to describe it, but they provide a very full, warm and driving sound. No matter what type of music you listen to, these will compliment it nicely.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #249 of 444
dt880smile.png

Ha ha ha ha! This thread delivers!

popcorn.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #250 of 444
:dt880smile:

Ha ha ha ha! This thread delivers!

:popcorn:
the satirical comments are hilarious! Some comedy alongside a serious conversation about a good headphone. It delivers indeed. :beerchug:

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #251 of 444

Solo 2 measure extremely good, for $200 it seems to be a real bargain (at least measurement-wise). If I was looking for a dark sounding headphone I would consider getting these Beats.

I'm not sure how else to describe it, but they provide a very full, warm and driving sound. No matter what type of music you listen to, these will compliment it nicely.

That's the difference between consumer and audiophile headphones. The former will work reasonably well with any genre and produce relatively outstanding sound without the use of an amp, and the latter needs burn in, amplification, balanced cables, and the appreciation for high fidelity.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #252 of 444
  That's the difference between consumer and audiophile headphones. The former will work reasonably well with any genre and produce relatively outstanding sound without the use of an amp, and the latter needs burn in, amplification, balanced cables, and the appreciation for high fidelity.

You forgot to mention well mastered tracks as a lot of those audiophile headphones are extremely revealing and unforgiving.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #253 of 444

I don't even know what the term audiophile is supposed to mean honestly. I mean I've played instruments my whole life, I'm a concert addict, I listen to a ridiculous quantity/variation of music and I can hear very minute nuances in music that a casual listener might not pick up. With that said, a sound that is too flat doesn't really make the experience that enjoyable in my opinion. These headphones allow me to feel immersed in the music more so than many self proclaimed "audiophile" headphones have. If you're a producer or something of the sort, it would make sense but if you're just trying to have fun listening to some tunes without sacrificing a full range of frequencies, than these headphones make a lot of sense.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #255 of 444
Hah interesting read and discussions. TBH makes me want to give them a try.

Whats funny is the power of just 1 good reviewer. Like everything...it's just his opinion. But funny how his reviews starts a lot of hypes. From UE 6000, to vmodas, Philips X2.
I am also an avid reader and follower. But i learn that hype and real life personal listening arent the same thing. Still i can understand why people think it's not genuine or that they have paid him off someway. 3 billion$ can carry a lot of persuasion. Quite understandable seeing how big his influence is. Haha.Still you can challenge his views easily with measurements or by giving it a good listen.

But with 3 billion $ it could also be quite easy to upgrade the sound and build. They already made the money. People loves it looks and style. How hard is it to make good sounding headphones with good graphs. Not much it seems. Beats were able to do it in 2 tries.

Well until it's proven otherwise I trust Tyll to be honest if maybe a bit hyperbolic.With hyperbolic i am thinking sure Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic can make on ears thats better than the venerable HD25s. A newbie like Vmoda could get lucky building on a good M80 as a newbie. But going from a beats solo to a WOF with beats2 truly intrigues me. 

Beats has been in the doghouse for 3 things. Sound. Which is now resolved with a bang. Build. I guess we will know soon enough.This was a major issue with the beats. For the price it didnt last long or was durable enough. Unlike its competitors at that pricerange.
And lastly it's price. i dont believe it's great value..but if you get mentioned audio wise with the flagship on ears from Senns, Beyers and vmoda...than at 200$ is not overpriced anymore. Definitely if they can resolve the build issue.(Still plastic)

Anyway I really want to give it a try. My concern is if its wellrounded enough to play other music genres or is it only capable with hiphop etc. Making it more a niche headphone.(Then I find it curious that its on WOF) On paper the headphone sound signature is perfect for my taste.
To bad tyll has not given the studio2 a review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back