beats by dre vs beyer dt770 vs ath m50 vs akg vs ultrasone 650 750 and 900?? or any others??
Sep 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stevobentz

New Head-Fier

I have a serious question, and i joined because I'm hoping to become part of the community.

I really love the bass of the beats by dr dre pros but there are so many bad reviews about them and its hard to tell if the ones you are buying are fake or not. Im looking for a headphone in the 300 range or cheaper would be great that packs as much bass as the dres without an amp to an iPod but not so muddy. Ive read about the ultrasone 900 pro and the 650 pro and i heard those are well worth it and the Slogic is a cool experience. Obviously i listen to mostly rap and hip hop, but i obviously still love the Doobie Brothers, Michael Mcdonald, and classic rock also including Michael Jackson(Not classic rock i know). I will be mainly having these plugged into my macbook pro and my iPod, and isolation to me is important because college is a loud place. I want something with a wow factor like the first time i heard the Dre beats. Any insight let me know i live in LA is there anywhere here to listen to any before i buy or is someone around here selling any? checked craigslist and didn't see much! thanks guys!

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 11
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, yes i know how to use the search feature and yes I've read all the reviews i found for 3 days but nothing has been specific to me. So please insight would help greatly.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 11
I'll say the Aiaiai TMA-1 if you're going portable (as it seems you do.)
For me, personally, it's the perfect phone for my hiphop collection (and not a bad allround-phone either.)
I mostly listen to the artists under the Rhymesayers label (Like P.O.S, Grieves, Hail Mary Mallon, Atmosphere, Eyedea & Abilities and so on) and some Astronautalis, q-tip and a few others. 

I really enjoy these phones to all my music. I am a bit (but not really, i don't really know if i am.) of a basshead tho. 
They're easily my favorite phones yet. 
My TF.10 is now pending sale, that's how much i love the TMA's. And my B&W P5 (i picked them up cheap, for 180 bucks, they retail for 420 in Sweden.) is only good (for me) with rock like SoaD, Disturbed and the like. 

I don't know if i haven't put enough love in them and time will change my opinion. It might. Or if they're simply not for me.
However, i would never pay retail for them.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
sony XB700
/thread

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

I have a serious question, and i joined because I'm hoping to become part of the community.

I really love the bass of the beats by dr dre pros but there are so many bad reviews about them and its hard to tell if the ones you are buying are fake or not. Im looking for a headphone in the 300 range or cheaper would be great that packs as much bass as the dres without an amp to an iPod but not so muddy. Ive read about the ultrasone 900 pro and the 650 pro and i heard those are well worth it and the Slogic is a cool experience. Obviously i listen to mostly rap and hip hop, but i obviously still love the Doobie Brothers, Michael Mcdonald, and classic rock also including Michael Jackson(Not classic rock i know). I will be mainly having these plugged into my macbook pro and my iPod, and isolation to me is important because college is a loud place. I want something with a wow factor like the first time i heard the Dre beats. Any insight let me know i live in LA is there anywhere here to listen to any before i buy or is someone around here selling any? checked craigslist and didn't see much! thanks guys!

Heya,

Wow factor is very relative. Only you can really determine that. However, it sounds like you want just big heavy thumping impacting bass.

XB500 is your first stop. It's inexpensive, way bassier than Beats and basically most other headphones. It's simply the best bass can for the dollar.
SRH750DJ is another headphone to check. Inexpensive. Bassy. Rugged. Looks good.
Ultrasone HFI 580 is the middle road. Great for everything. Good and bassy. Built like a tank. Looks good.
Denon D1100 is another one at this point, again, good for most everything, very bassy, classy looking.
Denon D2000 is an end-road for some bass heads if you want sub bass slam, but also want great mids/highis. Super classy.
Ultrasone PRO 900 is another end-road for some bass heads that want mid bass slam, built like a tank, looks great.

Now, I'm not going to trash on Beats. But I will comment on price. I would totally buy a pair of beats to check out, the good ones mind you, if they were in the $150 range, instead of twice that. Unfortunately that's just how they priced them. A lot of $150 cans basically do just as well. This is why you see so many bad reviews. The good Beats are honestly a decent headphone. They're just expensive for what you get. To put it in another perspective, buying a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is a great way to grab a well cooked and seasoned bird for dinner, but when it costs $60 for that chicken, you wouldn't even look at it.

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 11
yea a bit ha ha ha ha I havent been playing it much.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 11
I havent played at all since the server came downb 
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Heya,

Wow factor is very relative. Only you can really determine that. However, it sounds like you want just big heavy thumping impacting bass.

XB500 is your first stop. It's inexpensive, way bassier than Beats and basically most other headphones. It's simply the best bass can for the dollar.
SRH750DJ is another headphone to check. Inexpensive. Bassy. Rugged. Looks good.
Ultrasone HFI 580 is the middle road. Great for everything. Good and bassy. Built like a tank. Looks good.
Denon D1100 is another one at this point, again, good for most everything, very bassy, classy looking.
Denon D2000 is an end-road for some bass heads if you want sub bass slam, but also want great mids/highis. Super classy.
Ultrasone PRO 900 is another end-road for some bass heads that want mid bass slam, built like a tank, looks great.

Now, I'm not going to trash on Beats. But I will comment on price. I would totally buy a pair of beats to check out, the good ones mind you, if they were in the $150 range, instead of twice that. Unfortunately that's just how they priced them. A lot of $150 cans basically do just as well. This is why you see so many bad reviews. The good Beats are honestly a decent headphone. They're just expensive for what you get. To put it in another perspective, buying a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is a great way to grab a well cooked and seasoned bird for dinner, but when it costs $60 for that chicken, you wouldn't even look at it.

Very best,

To piggy back on what MalVeauX said, if you can find the Beats by Dre STUDIOs, not SOLOS, for around $150ish, they are worth it.  Contrary to what most will tell you, they do sound good.  I happen to own the Beats Studios (Paid $150 even for them), Senns HD555s, Samson SR850s, and awaiting delivery of the newly popular Panasonic HTF600s.

It drives me crazy when I hear people say that the Beats sound horrible, yada yada yada.  Now, if you want to say they're overpriced, that's a very fair criticism.  Sound and Build Quality of these headphones are worth about $150, the remainder of the cost you're paying for marketing, endorsers, and a name.

In all honesty, the Beats Studios are a fun set of cans for music.  It is true that if you are looking for accuracy, the Beats shouldn't be your top choice.  But the short cables, style, and built in amp make it ideal for listening to your portable players on the go when you want powerful sound.  I actually like them for immersive singleplayer gaming as well.  It currently does explosions and shotgun blasts better than any set of cans I've heard.  The only catch is, if you're gaming on them you have to have the headphone jack of the source pretty close to you to compensate for the short cables.  I have a Dolby Headphone processor sitting next to me so it's a non issue for me.

Basically, the Beats Studios are some of my favorite cans in the $150 price range.  I prefer their sound to my Senns HD555s.  If you can't find them discounted somewhere, I will agree that you will be disappointed if you spend $250ish plus on them only to find that their sound quality is comparable to most $150ish priced cans.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 11
I would go with the Denon D2000 or ultrasone 580s

The beats studio (or pro even) are just very sub par in the build quality.  Steer away from them. unless of course you are more interested in making a fashion statement that says, "my parants bought me these, and i have no idea about sound quality, but hey, i fit in!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back