Beats by Dr. Dre headphones?
Nov 8, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 46
So Dr. Dre is an electrical engineer now? When they say headphones "by Dre" I get the impression that he actually designed them.

Ok here's my take on his level of contribution to the design: "Yo...make sure they look cool"

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #17 of 46
As a producer involved with sound I would imagine his contribution is far beyond that. They may be tuned for different music tastes (although according to the original large thread on these headphones, they aren't particularly tuned for rap), but I imagine some thought has gone into making them sound acceptable within whatever limitations the design inherently may have.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Dr. Dre is an electrical engineer now? When they say headphones "by Dre" I get the impression that he actually designed them.

Ok here's my take on his level of contribution to the design: "Yo...make sure they look cool"

It was probably more like "bass better be kickin"

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There lies the problem with rap, too much sampling and not enough original creativity. Most rap artists can't even play an instrument.

Other dance music and electronic music in general uses a crapload of sampling and yet no complaints about that....

Can you MC and DJ at the same time like say, J-Live?

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

There lies the problem with rap, too much sampling and not enough original creativity. Most rap artists can't even play an instrument.

Yeah but the creativity comes out in the form of their lyrics, which is the message they're sending across. (though I agree there's too much sampling at times)

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

A lot of musicians don't play an instrument, what about singers/choirs, do they have a problem? choirs often take songs that are many years old, are they not creative?

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of musicians don't play an instrument, what about singers/choirs, do they have a problem? choirs often take songs that are many years old, are they not creative?

Yea, but they have beautiful voices and can actually sing, their voices are the instruments. Most rap artists do not even sing and have crap singing voices. I recognize it is a poetic art form but a highly musical art form? Who you trying to kid?

I don't even like the messages rap artists put out in their music/poetry. It's either superficial crap about girls and money or it is preaching violence and racism. There is no depth and/or beauty in their music or lyrics.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

I don't even like the messages rap artists put out in their music/poetry. It's either superficial crap about girls and money or it is preaching violence and racism. There is no depth and/or beauty in their music or lyrics.

One word: stereotype.

Gees, *pulls out a classic hip-hop song verse*

Quote:

"**** tha police comin straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad 'cause I'm brown
I'm not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority

If you don't get the message of that....

Also, look up the lyrics of Eminem's "Who Knew" and look at it from an English language academic point of view, the way it's structured is brilliant and very 'poetic'. I'm just using mainstream examples.

Also listen to some 'Bones Thugs n Harmony' and tell me they can't sing/rap in tune etc..come on....

Screw it, I'll let Chris Rock explain:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 46
As with all genres of music, you will have the really exceptional material, and then you'll have the absolute garbage designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sadly I think Rap/RnB/Hip-hop artists have this stereotype because the microscope is on them all the time, and in recent times, they've leveraged truly good work to play the numbers game (it's an industry wide epidemic). They are taking advantage of what are arguably the most popular genres of music in the US in the last few years. There are plenty of producers who are absolute wizards with an Akai MPC2000, and to me sampling is no different from using musical instruments or a turntable.

But I think we can all agree that this headphone is most likely not worth what it costs.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 46
Just as I said, those lyrics are about violence. They have no relation to my life experience at all so why would I want to listen to someone rapping about something I can't even relate to?

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Just as I said, those lyrics are about violence. They have no relation to my life experience at all so why would I want to listen to someone rapping about something I can't even relate to?

Random guess here - they're singing about their ghetto life even though they grew up in the suburbs. I guess rappers like, their listeners like to play pretend by thinking they're ghetto (Even though most of them don't even know what a ghetto is...) T his is why I listen to Kanye West. Good lyrics, but lots and lots of swears! Bittersweet's an example. Here's the chourus from it: "I don't love you, but I need you. I love you, I hate you at the very same time."

But then again, you'll be listening to guns, violence, and riches in "Swagger Like Us".

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 46
In all fairness, it's hard to go from no rap, straight to someone like dr. dre.

First I started listening to k-os, the roots, and really got the feel for that sort of style.

Then some kanye (love it or hate it), B.I.G, Dre, and some others.

Even though I don't consider myself someone who is really into hip hop or rap, I still really enjoy many artists of that genre.

If you give it a chance, I think you'll most likely find some bands that you like.

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Check out the first 3 'Tribe albums. All they do is talk about chasin' tail and it is truly entertaining ****. Same era as PE & NWA but more positive, more fun, and in my opinion more creative.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...cfixq95ld6e~T1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back