Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #61 of 621
Quote:
Detail is pretty decent, with the mids becoming jumbled the more elements to the music it has to deal with. If your music isn't too complex and layered, that's when it sounds the best.

That's a great way to put it.  I also think it deals better with layered synthesized music better that layered natural instruments, since there are fewer harmonics.  It's probably a trade off with the cone excursion you need to get all that bass, since it does better with with complex instruments if there isn't a lot of bass.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #62 of 621
To the OP and only the OP. 

In response to your request:
Your preface to the question makes me simply not care to read the rest of your question.  There are many on head-fi that voluntarily surrender data for others to consume and frankly it's a bit low class of a person with 4 posts to begin in such a manner....I have a suggestion, stick with what you have and buy some class.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #63 of 621
Quote:
My fellow Head-Fiers, lets see how many of you can pay attention to the actual question.....

Quote:

Your preface to the question makes me simply not care to read the rest of your question.  There are many on head-fi that voluntarily surrender data for others to consume and frankly it's a bit low class of a person with 4 posts to begin in such a manner....I have a suggestion, stick with what you have and buy some class.

Does it hurt because it's true?

It doesn't take much lurking to find out that plenty (certainly not everyone, not most, but enough) of people here like to force their sonic preferences on everyone else and denigrate them as less worthy for it.  If you are one of those people, then you deserve to be offended.  If you are not one of those people, then the comment is not directed at you, so you have no reason to get offended.  Simple isn't it?

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #64 of 621
One of the worst offenses is people's inability to stick with price ranges.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #65 of 621
I'm in the exact same situation as you: Etymotic ER-4P with the P-to-S converter. I very much enjoy the headphones, but was craving some bass impact. I bought the iBasso D10, and using dummy buffers and the AD8656 opamp, I'm having fantastic results.

The most marked change I'm experiencing with this amp configuration is more bass impact. The overall sound signature is preserved: you'll still get the sparkly highs and incredible detail, but now with some more punch to the bassline. I wouldn't describe the bass as being muddier or more pounding either. Just more impact.

At the end of the day, this is the only purchase you can make that will compliment something you already enjoy, so it's definitely worth serious consideration.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #66 of 621
You're not exacty being very classy here either. 

The truth is a lot of Headfiers do post whatever nonsense comes to mind and do not actually pay attention to the question at hand. It seems that you have proven yourself to be one of those Headfiers with this post. Why let yourself get put off by one line that shouldn't even concern you if you are one of those that do post sensible responses.

Quote:

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #67 of 621
Not really trying to thread jack but I'm looking for something similar so instead of starting a new thread I will just slide right in here. So most are saying XB-700 for Bass but will these headphones still provide nice highs (sparkle) and mids (punch/kick). I think I read a post where it said treble was lacking and muddy? What other headphones are out there that provide a lot of bass with clear highs and decent mids? I want to stay towards the basshead side but I still need the rest of the spectrum to be nice and clear not muddy.

Thanks

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #68 of 621
They don't turn the rest of the spectrum in to a muddy mess, to my ear anyway.  It depends though, what kind of quality are you used to?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #69 of 621
Well I'm fairly new to this so I don't really have much to go off of. The most Ive listened to is :
Apple's earphones
Skullcandy Ink'd
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (new)
old Audio Technica Earphones
and Beats by Dr. Dre

The Beats were ok but I wanted more bass and they definitely lacked in clarity for me. MTPG's are good for IEM's but I obviously want more lower end bass. The mids on those are good and the highs were nice too but imo needed a tad bit more shine.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #70 of 621

Quote:
Not really trying to thread jack but I'm looking for something similar so instead of starting a new thread I will just slide right in here. So most are saying XB-700 for Bass but will these headphones still provide nice highs (sparkle) and mids (punch/kick). I think I read a post where it said treble was lacking and muddy? What other headphones are out there that provide a lot of bass with clear highs and decent mids? I want to stay towards the basshead side but I still need the rest of the spectrum to be nice and clear not muddy.

Thanks

Please try out Ultrasone HFI 580.  They are what you describe. They have bass impact that rivals the Monster Beats Studios and Sony XB700s but with out the bass encroaching on the mids and highs of the other two. XB700s have even more head shaking bass impact but it is far too much even for a bass head. The bass is sloppy and runs all over. The 580s have really tight, impactful, and high quantity bass, but still maintains decent mids and highs.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #71 of 621
I don't have experience with any of those, but FWIR I'd bet the XB700 are better than everything on your list but the MTPG.  =1123&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=1383]From the graphs it looks like it's worth a shot.  The XB700s have a little sparkle, which I don't like, so I run them through a tube hybrid that smooths it ou, so that's another point in its favor.

Do you have an amp?  Bass is usually the first thing to go when a 'phone doesn't have enough power, followed closely by clarity.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #72 of 621

I'm assuming you're in the IEM market? And that the Beats you mentioned down there is the Tours?

Anyway sounds like the smooth, laidback sound is not for you, perhaps you are looking for something with lots of strong thunderous bass and sparkly highs. You may want to check out the original Monster Turbines (not the Pros) which have heavier, more slamming bass and sparkly highs compared to the smooth sound of the Golds.

You may also want to check the Hippo VB, which has a really good low end for sub bass, but the highs lack sparkle as well. Another IEM I haven't heard but which sounds like it might be a match for you would be the Fischer Eterna. Finally, let me also recommend my old standby the Metro.Fi 170, which sounds like it's a match for your tastes.

Quote:
Well I'm fairly new to this so I don't really have much to go off of. The most Ive listened to is :
Apple's earphones
Skullcandy Ink'd
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (new)
old Audio Technica Earphones
and Beats by Dr. Dre

The Beats were ok but I wanted more bass and they definitely lacked in clarity for me. MTPG's are good for IEM's but I obviously want more lower end bass. The mids on those are good and the highs were nice too but imo needed a tad bit more shine.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #73 of 621
On the contrary. I already bought some IEM's (MTPG's) and I now want a full size headphone to wear (probably around the house). I want Low bass extension however still retaining that tight mid  bass punch that often times gives that nice clean bass sound, I also want something that sparkles in the high end not obnoxiously though in a clean way. I also want to note i'd rather not amp or change anything at the moment, I just want out of the box good.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #74 of 621
Hmm, well the first things that come to mind is the SRH750 DJ. These should fit your needs. Another option is the ATH-ES7, though hmm that may be too basslight.

If you ever feel like amping then go for the Beyer DT150.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #75 of 621

Quote:
I don't have experience with any of those, but FWIR I'd bet the XB700 are better than everything on your list but the MTPG.  =1123&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=1383]From the graphs it looks like it's worth a shot.  The XB700s have a little sparkle, which I don't like, so I run them through a tube hybrid that smooths it ou, so that's another point in its favor.

Do you have an amp?  Bass is usually the first thing to go when a 'phone doesn't have enough power, followed closely by clarity.

No I dont have an amp and I took that into consideration...... That is a WHOLE other can of worms to open LoL. I was hoping to find a headphone that would get that physicality that I want, and then move on to searching for the right amp that would help solve anyother volume/tonal issues that those particular cans would have. Thanx for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back