Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #31 of 621

Quote:

you thought XB700s are better than ultrasone Pro 900s? that's a bold statement. my experience is that xb700s just were not HiFi by any means, even with an amp... Though, I have not tried an iQube with it, but an Ibasso D10... I will have to get my Pro 900s and see what I think...

The iQube makes such a HUGE difference. I wasn't expecting the XB700's to be this amazing with the amp. I use it on the daily with my ipod+lod and use the EQ to make it sound how I like it. I don't know what it was with the Pro 900's they sound good, but I feel like it was lacking that bass impact I love so much. When I compared it to the XB700's I sold the Pro 900's right away. If you ever use the combo together, let me know. I'm sure my ears are not playing with my head.

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #32 of 621
Wow, XB700 with iQube can beat the Pro 900 at rocking bass? That sounds really interesting. How about on any lesser amps? I don't feel like spending $500 on an amp. I'm working on getting myself an XB700 but I really don't want to get an iQube. What qualities of the iQube give the XB700 that added zing? Does it enhance the mids and highs so they don't lose to the bass or something?

Quote:

I was in the same situation as you. I just NEED that BOOM BOOM rockin` my head off. Honestly, I LOVE my Sony XB700's but, only when it's paired up with my iQube amp. Without the amp you still get that BOOM BOOM but, I HIGHLY recommend you get the amp. The sound quality jumps 100x with the amp. You wont be dissappointed. Ever since I got these, I never looked back. I use to have the Ultrasone pro 900's and these are better by far IMO. Total new would cost you about $600 (XB700and iQube). I'm pretty sure if I hadn't bought these I would still be looking for BASSHEADphones.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #33 of 621

Quote:
Wow, XB700 with iQube can beat the Pro 900 at rocking bass? That sounds really interesting. How about on any lesser amps? I don't feel like spending $500 on an amp. I'm working on getting myself an XB700 but I really don't want to get an iQube. What qualities of the iQube give the XB700 that added zing? Does it enhance the mids and highs so they don't lose to the bass or something?

Without the iQube, I feel the mids and highs are on the muddy side. With the iQube, I feel the mids and highs get more detailed, goes nicely with the bass. They sounded on par with the Pro 900's just with much better bass, IMO. That was why I didn't really keep the Pro 900's. And if there was something that I felt that the music was lacking, the ipod EQ pretty much had a setting for it. I've had no problems with this set up so far. I'm really enjoying my music very much.  I really don't know what to say .. just have to try them out yourself, if you do, let me know what you think.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #34 of 621
Quote:

I haven't heard the Pro 900s, but I'd =1193&graphID[1]=933&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]just about bet a kidney that the XB700 out basses them.  You don't need an expensive amp to get some serious bass, but you do need a strong one.  The sonys are rated at 24 ohms impedance and 3 watts power handling, so they need a lot of current.  I haven't done a lot of A/B-ing  yet, but they seem scale rather well with the power of the equipment.  My Maverick D1, rated at 1000mw in to 32 ohms gets some serious bass out of them.  With the bass EQed all the way up they get surprisingly close to the two 12 inchers in my car.  They don't give me the 20hz back massage the subs do, but they do give me a legitimate 20hz ear massage.

I think they have rather too much bass for most metal and rock but they do ok for pop and very well for electronica/techno-ish stuff.  In general the fewer real instrument the better they are.  A double bass isn't really supposed to be a small seismic event.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #35 of 621
Have you tried the XB700 with other amps that bring the mids out like the Mini^3 or the Petite?

Quote:

Without the iQube, I feel the mids and highs are on the muddy side. With the iQube, I feel the mids and highs get more detailed, goes nicely with the bass. They sounded on par with the Pro 900's just with much better bass, IMO. That was why I didn't really keep the Pro 900's. And if there was something that I felt that the music was lacking, the ipod EQ pretty much had a setting for it. I've had no problems with this set up so far. I'm really enjoying my music very much.  I really don't know what to say .. just have to try them out yourself, if you do, let me know what you think.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #36 of 621
LOL ok, I am totally going to get myself one of these soon. Too bad the cheapest I can get them at the moment is about $130US. But it's something I'm definitely going to do soon.

Quote:

I haven't heard the Pro 900s, but I'd just about bet a kidney that the XB700 out basses them.  You don't need an expensive amp to get some serious bass, but you do need a strong one.  The sonys are rated at 24 ohms impedance and 3 watts power handling, so they need a lot of current.  I haven't done a lot of A/B-ing  yet, but they seem scale rather well with the power of the equipment.  My Maverick D1, rated at 1000mw in to 32 ohms gets some serious bass out of them.  With the bass EQed all the way up they get surprisingly close to the two 12 inchers in my car.  They don't give me the 20hz back massage the subs do, but they do give me a legitimate 20hz ear massage.

I think they have rather too much bass for most metal and rock but they do ok for pop and very well for electronica/techno-ish stuff.  In general the fewer real instrument the better they are.  A double bass isn't really supposed to be a small seismic event.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #38 of 621
Well a lot of people here don't like the XB700. :) It's just too.... convtroversial.

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #41 of 621

$130 for the XB700. Yes, that is right. Sourcing is tough here. 

Quote:
$130usd for what? xb700 are like $60 on ebay

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #42 of 621

Quote:
The HFI-780s are alright, but they have no where near as much slam/punch as that of a good set of orthodynamic cans. Same goes for the PRO900s which have lots of bass but it is not that fast.

Well that's being unfair, that's like saying "the HFI 780 is alright but it's nowhere near as natural and effortless as a Stax Lambda."

Of course the ortho will be faster than the dynamic.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #43 of 621
How is that unfair?
A set of Fostex T50RP, some new cable and connector, feltpads, bluetack, dynamat will run you less than $160 if you do not factor in the time needed for modding them.
Head-Direct is coming out with their HE-4 which will probably be priced around $300 which seems to be his budget.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #44 of 621

How is that unfair?

A set of Fostex T50RP, some new cable and connector, feltpads, bluetack, dynamat will run you less than $160 if you do not factor in the time needed for modding them.

Head-Direct is coming out with their HE-4 which will probably be priced around $300 which seems to be his budget.

What ortho would you recommend that would compete against a properly amped akg k701? I cant fathom a better sound right now :/

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #45 of 621
HE-5s destroy them. The LE's are even better and the LCD-2s are even better than those. In all honesty neither of those I just mentioned competes with the K701s. They are on a much higher plain. The K1000 would be a better comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back