Bass Headphones
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

seunghoyoum

New Head-Fier
     Hi guys! I'm just a 18 year old newbie who started to have interest in headphones. These things are just a stairway to eargasms. Let's start with some background information about me. Here are all the products I had; i started with the cresyn CS-HP 500, then the Sennheiser hd202, then I just broke my Sennheiser hd418's recently, and I just ordered the Sennheiser 598's, liked the unique design, and I also heard they had good sound quality.

I'm a person who really likes bass, and I didn't have much money and that's when I got led to the Sennheiser 418's, hearing that they had strong bass. I have learned my lesson. I learned that the balance of the bass with the mids and highs were equally important as the actual bass itself. The Sennheiser 418's bass just destroyed the vocal and the highs, just ruining music for me. I actually thought the balance of the hd202's were better. So please don't recommend Beats for me, because I think the balance is equally awful as the HD418's.

I started to broaden my view of sound. There was a small shop where headphones were displayed, and I could hear the SRH440's. They clearly had a better balance then my Sennheiser 418's or the Beats. Then I found the Bowers & Wilkins P5 on the corner. Despite my short headphone life they were the best headphones I have ever heard; I really learned that the balance of the bass was important. The bass was clearly there, and the balance was perfect. Now I've ordered the 598's already so I can't order another pair for a while, but I searched and searched for the best headphones that were in the Bowers & Wilkins's price range. I found the AKG Q,K701, Sennheiser HD600,650, and the Denon AHD2000's.  Now, I bought the UE Triple-Fi for portable use- i really damaged my headphones for trying to use them as portables-so the 3 headphones I'm discussing right now are clearly used for home-listening, and I heard that high-costing headphones needed good amplifiers. Luckily one of my uncles is a technician so he's a professional in that side so I don't think I'll have a big as a problem with those. But sound, it's such a personal and hard thing to just define, and since the only good pair I've listened to was the Bowers and Wilkins, it would be really helpful to give a really detailed comparison between the B&W with the 3 headphones(AKG, Senn, Denon), especially on this aspect--------How strong the bass is, but more importantly, how much that strong bass balances with the mids and highs.

Another question I wanted to ask was, beside the fact that open headphones leak sound and closed headphones don't (it doesn't matter for me since i'm listening to them at a quiet home,), how does the sound differ? I personally like sounds that are warm and make you concentrate. If so, which kind would fit me?

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 5

Get the HD650 ~ it's the warmest and most lush of the lot although the D2000 is also quite warmish.

HD650 will need your uncle's skills for building a DIY amp while the D2000 does not need any
 real sort of major amping, just about anything will do as long as it does not dilute the source
 signal too much eg, cheap amps distort and dilute the source signal etc

Never heard the B&W I'm afraid, cannot say much there.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Thank you! What would the price range be in your personal opinion for a decent amp?

If you're handy with a soldering iron and assembly then I have a few friends who swear by the B22

http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/

Failing that if you need something cheap and above average for competency with the HD650,
 grab an Audio GD NFB12 which is a WM8741 based DAC and headphone amp in the one box.

$200USD + postage - cannot be beat. You will need to order directly from audio-gd.com

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
 If you're handy with a soldering iron and assembly then I have a few friends who swear by the B22

http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/

Failing that if you need something cheap and above average for competency with the HD650,
 grab an Audio GD NFB12 which is a WM8741 based DAC and headphone amp in the one box.

$200USD + postage - cannot be beat. You will need to order directly from audio-gd.com

objective 2 is pretty good for a cheap amp too

150 assembled, like 100-120 DIY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back