Bass headphones out of AKG81DJ,SONY XB 500,SONY XB700,GRADO 60I and SENNHEISER HD 212(Please help)
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 37
D1100 is more laid-back but it's more aggressive in the highs. The mids are quite a lot more recessed on D1100 though but are a bit clearer sounding comparing without any EQ tweaks compared to XB500. It feels like everything has a small distance to it while XB500 is very "in-your-face" sounding but XB500 doesn't lack soundstage especially for this price, it's just everything sounds very close to you even if you can discern positional sound very well but D1100 has a bit larger soundstage than XB500 and sounds less "smeared" (instruments doesn't blend together in complex passages) as it's quite a bit less warm sounding than XB500 as well but I'd still put D1100 slightly on the warm side of neutral (XB500 is very warm sounding). 

It was this "distance" in the soundstage and recessed mids as well as somewhat lacking quality of the highs which didn't quite enjoy D1100, I feel XB500 has better sound quality if you are using a high quality EQ and balance out the XB500 a bit then you have very good sound quality for the price. You can balance out the D1100 as well but it just won't sound as good when comparing optimal EQ settings on both (in my ears). EQing put aside the lack of clarity on XB500 vs more clarity on D1100 is the only thing that would justify the price differences.

I suppose I just was a bit disappointed with D1100 since it's like 2.5x the price of XB500 I had expected a bit more of it. But yea they are quite different animals so it'll depend on your taste quite a lot, XB500's sound signature is tuned for genres like hiphop, dubstep, hardstyle, dnb, well house/club music etc while D1100 feels like it's tuned for rock / classical (yes classical or orchestra "game music" was probably what I enjoyed most on D1100 as for this genre laid-back sound signature usually fits a lot better even though personally I like a forward sound signature overall). 

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #32 of 37
Many thanks RPGwizard for giving out your wisdom:) It was really a great help.

For a different headphone with a different sound signature what would you recommend out of the ones I list below. I will be using this pair of headphones for studio monitoring purpose. It would be better if it sounds a bit fun too cos I normally produce Trance and Hip Hop type of music.
the list is

1.M-50
2.Sony MDR V6
3.SRH 440

What do you think would be the best for this requirement. Do you have more suggestions to add?
really appreciate your kind help.

Thank you:)

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
Many thanks RPGwizard for giving out your wisdom:) It was really a great help.

For a different headphone with a different sound signature what would you recommend out of the ones I list below. I will be using this pair of headphones for studio monitoring purpose. It would be better if it sounds a bit fun too cos I normally produce Trance and Hip Hop type of music.
the list is

1.M-50
2.Sony MDR V6
3.SRH 440

What do you think would be the best for this requirement. Do you have more suggestions to add?
really appreciate your kind help.

Thank you:)

Hands down the M50 for your preferences.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #34 of 37
Yea M50 would probably work around this price point. The soundstage is the only thing that you might feel you're missing out a bit on for trance especially as I know quite a lot of trance listeners tend to search for a quite large soundstage but other than that it should be fine. Even if a DJ headphone, for these genres I'd imagine Shure SRH 750DJ would do well too, it should be only very slightly stronger in bass response compared to M50 and have unusually forward midrange for a DJ headphone and not too bright highs either, they seem to share a very similar frequency response curve but SRH750 DJs are generally regarded as having better soundstage of the two as well as perhaps a bit more bass.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #35 of 37
Hi all,

I just want to share my experience with XB 500 so far. Today I plugged the XB 500 to my old Nokia N96 phone and I was like spellbounded and speechless for a while. It was like two subwoofers of ample watts running next to my ears. I was absolutely taken aback with the HARD HITTING BASS in my ear which I did not hear to that extent with my Nokia X6.

I can also come to the conclusion that, with the source and EQ the XB 500 would perform tremendosuly different and better too.

It's like its realy really worth every dollar I spent on this magnificent set.

If one is a basshead, XB 500 is one the very best one should have IMO...

Thanks all:)

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #36 of 37
So, how are those for studio monitoring purposes...? 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #37 of 37
That is where I am still undecided now. Its a battle between Ultrasone HFI 580, SRH 750 DJ and ATH-PRO700MK2( as suggested by RpGWizard today)
M50 excluded..
I made the right choice with the XB 500 and want to take another good decision on that side as well.. so still reading reviews..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back