bass:dt770 vs 880
Jul 28, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 67
It changes the sound, but for the better.  Gives it a different flavor so to speak, Bass quality and quantity increases significantly, and they look pretty sexy as well with wood cups.  I did a review on it, look for the Luke Skyerbeyer review i posted

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #47 of 67

Quote:
so the darth and luke beyer mods basically just inrease bass? by a lot? sounds good
biggrin.gif

i sold my dt770s for headfile v2.  Bass depth and power , it is no discussion ask anyone, darth beyers are it.  Bass quality is another discussion.  If you want the biggest depth and the biggest power, darth beyers will blow your socks off, they are the standard in my opinion. Its gonna run you 500 bones though off of headphile.com  The people that say dt770s have big bass, haven't heard big bass.  

ahhhhhhh the bassssss

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #48 of 67
but there are many different kinds of darth beyers, arent there? like a v4 and a v2 with different cables and stuff? and even a beyer mod that is called a luke skybeyer?? which has the most powerful bass?
basshead.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #49 of 67
I think you should go the safe route and get both the Sony XB500 and the XB700, both are cheap, and you have two great sets, one for super punchy and forward bass, and the other for lush booming deep bass. Both are easily driven by portables and if connected to any amp will produce even more glorious bass....these cans will give you a head massage you will not believe
biggrin.gif

And after you are totally in love with them you can get yourself the XB1000 when it finally hits the US or drops a bit in price
tongue.gif
. My bass needs are covered with the XB line, now I can focus on detailed and analitical cans.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #51 of 67

Quote:
th xb's have more powerful bass than darth beyers???
eek.gif

I have auditioned the DT770 in all its versions, and they have great bass, don't get me wrong. Darth beyers are made from this model, but cost a lot more. If you have that kind of cash you might as well try the Ultrasone 900. By purchasing both xb500 and xb700 you get two different types of bass for a low price. I have both and enjoy them a great deal, running them through my 25 year old marantz receiver I am in bass heaven
wink.gif

I am so happy with these cans that I'm saving my money for the XB1000....they are mine once they hit the US market
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #52 of 67
i dont have the coin right now for darth beyers, so i actually think denons (ahd-2000) might be more in my market. i have looked at the xb700 extensively, and they look sooooooooooo comftorable! not really portable looking though
frown.gif
 if i find the denons bass to not satisfy my bass needs, i might get the xb700's. but, theres always the option of saving for darth beyers....

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #53 of 67
The the xb500 and 700 certainly do not have more bass power than the skybeyers, however they reach lower frequencies for sure but that doesn't mean more powerful and head shaking, nor as vast sounding

The bass monsters you should look into as per my experience would be

The DT770 32ohm Luke Skybeyer - $250ish used with a great recable job and wooden cups, GUT WRENCHING bass and head shaking.  It does not respond especially well to very low frequencies of bass.  Meaning that sinking bass feeling is absent for those super bass moments.  What responsiveness it does have is extremely potent, large sounding and simply very powerful

The Denon D1100 is a bass monster as well, it is very heavy and thick on the bass, but its a decent quality bass for being so powerful in a closed back budget set.  It is definitely a bass lovers can.  There is such a thing as too much bass, I sold mine because it simply had too much of what many others consider a good thing haha, Im not into the super bass thing.  But the d1100 sure did have some serious bass power

The Sony XB1000 - I have not heard it but reviews seem to denote serious bass as well.  The Sony XB series is a consumer grade set and not even remotely close to something I would consider using as an audiophile.  Those pads are big and fluffy, but are without question the hottest of any set I have ever used.  They get too hot in just a few minutes and have an odd soundstage and presentation that I was not at all fond of.  But, their bass responsiveness is excellent, meaning you will hear that bass at such a low level, your tend to get that stomach dropping sensation.  Do not confuse this with bass power or kick, as there are many sets that have much more.

Fostex t50rp modded - Like the skybeyer mod, the Fostex has a similar mod that seems to have the most bass power of all.  I have also not had the pleasure of hearing it but the general consensus seems to be that the modded t50rp is the king of bass power.  Not quality, but quantity for its budget range. 

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #56 of 67
Hey were the Skybeyers from the 32 ohm version?  or does it matter?
i have the 32's and love them soooo much,  besides putting the already strong bass on steroids does it do anything for the midrange scoup or the highs?

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #59 of 67
Quote:
The the xb500 and 700 certainly do not have more bass power than the skybeyers, however they reach lower frequencies for sure but that doesn't mean more powerful and head shaking, nor as vast sounding

They do?

I don't have any experience with the skybeyers but my DT880 go lower than the Sony XBs, obviously the Sonys have much more quantity but the Beyers definitely hit the lower notes. The Sony XB while deep is more monotone no doubt due to pressue caused between the ear pads, there is little detail in those low notes.

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #60 of 67
I disagree, I never got that sinking feeling with the DT880 or my Skybeyer.  It simply did not play insanely low bass notes clearly enough for me to be able to say "super low note A was lower than super low note B"  I found the beyers to just play them with such force that I couldn't differentiate them.  Where as my Sony XB500s never had that issue.  

its just how my ears picked it up, if that is not the case for others then so be it.  But I found the sonys to play the super low bass notes with more responsiveness.  They sank much lower on the Sonys, but were more vast and powerful on the beyers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back