bass:dt770 vs 880
Jul 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 67
Hey hold up, if you got a iTouch you could try EQ-ing with 3rd-party software to get the bass boost you desire (out of your HD 25, for free!). I believe a frequently-recommended app is EQu.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 67
That is debatable.  Some people say there's an exceptional difference, some say the differences are extremely subtle.  There is perhaps one thing that higher resistance will give you, and that's a lower noise-floor.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 67
the 32 ohm 770s are what you want if your after bass.  i have them and the 990 600 ohm and had the 770 pro 80 ohm.  the 770/32 is fantastic for bass but it does need either a very good source with strong output or an amp to get that fantastic bass

as for the impedance i would say that it might make a small small difference.  my 990/600 are a little bit cleaner.  but barely and you would never notice if you weren't sitting with both.  that could be the impedance or the can itself i don't know

and im with TMRaven, the 990 isn't a basshead can at all

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 67
im driving from a 4th generation ipod touch unamped.  i was also wondering, are my hd 25's being properly driven from my source
blink.gif
?  thank you all for your amazing input, by the way
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 67
DT880 has a proper balanced and neutral sound, the DT770 has inflated bass.

770's are also really easy to drive and don't require too much power. DT880 has the legs to run with the high end amp/source setups and it's a completely different path than what you'd like.

Hope that helps!

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #22 of 67
A large factor in driving these Beyers is sensitivity. It is very low, which makes them harder to drive in that they need more current. Higher resistance typically need more voltage  swing to enhance performance. HD-25s are an excellent can and could benefit from some amping. The FiiO E11 is a great inexpensive option. Plus it has a built in bass boost and will also provide an excellent future proof pathway. The E11 can power 990/600s to very respectable levels!

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #23 of 67

Quote:
A large factor in driving these Beyers is sensitivity. It is very low, which makes them harder to drive in that they need more current. Higher resistance typically need more voltage  swing to enhance performance. HD-25s are an excellent can and could benefit from some amping. The FiiO E11 is a great inexpensive option. Plus it has a built in bass boost and will also provide an excellent future proof pathway. The E11 can power 990/600s to very respectable levels!

sounds like getting,say, dt770 80ohms, along with a fiio 11, would have what im looking for in bass? and my hd-25's would be improved also
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #24 of 67

Quote:
the 32 ohm 770s are what you want if your after bass.  i have them and the 990 600 ohm and had the 770 pro 80 ohm.  the 770/32 is fantastic for bass but it does need either a very good source with strong output or an amp to get that fantastic bass

as for the impedance i would say that it might make a small small difference.  my 990/600 are a little bit cleaner.  but barely and you would never notice if you weren't sitting with both.  that could be the impedance or the can itself i don't know

and im with TMRaven, the 990 isn't a basshead can at all

so, can the dt770 pro 32 ohm be properly driven and provide mind-numbing bass with a fiio e11 amp?

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 67
thanks, i think ill stick to the pro then
biggrin.gif
 however, im totally confused when it comes to the amp, having never owned one before.i see there are 2 eq levels and a high-low gain.  i also see there is a sort of volume control knob on the top.  but there is no bass boost switch/knob in sight
confused.gif
 i have no idea what combination of high low and eq level will produce best bass, and i am also clueless come to the knob, unless thats exactly what it is, a volume control.  sorry for sounding like a complete dimwit, but i have never owned an amp before
frown.gif
 im sure you guys can help, as youve been wonderful so far.  thanks for everything and in advance to my noobish question!

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 67
The EQ = bass boost.  Gain = db or volume boost. 

One who asks a question for knowledge is never a fool.. Only the fools who label him so.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 67
Coupe: but given low sensitivity = more current needed, and high resistance/impedance = more voltage needed, aren't they contradictory to V = IR?
I mean, we're not saying that the Beyers need both high current and high voltage right? (Is that even possible to provide)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back