bass:dt770 vs 880
Jul 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Daydreamin747

Head-Fier
hey guys, i am in the market for  set of bassy cans.  i was close to buying beats studio, but the lingering durability problem convinced me not to. the beyerdynamic dt 770 and 880 look extremely attractive, as do the sony xb series.  i was wondering which cans would have mind-numbing bass, but still a nice soundstage.  and please no reccomendations for the l3000's, as they are waaay out of my price range (which is about 250).  ill be driving from a 4th gen ipod touch. thanks in advance
L3000.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 67
The DT880 are very hi-fidelity-ish, and are an open can.  They give great bass reproduction, but it's of the hi-fi kind, meaning they'll be giving you the most accurate type of bass reproduction, and often times people look for quantity over accuracy (beats by dre and sony xb are also in this group, giving quantity over accuracy, and the DT770 to an extent as well).  Sub-bass reproduction is also a shortcoming many open cans have.

I feel that if you really want that 'mind-numbing' bass, then the DT770-80ohm will give it to you.  Beyerdynamic makes all of their products in Germany last I know of, and their headphones feel great.  I don't think you'd have any problem with their build quality.  

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 67

Quote:
The DT880 are very hi-fidelity-ish, and are an open can.  They give great bass reproduction, but it's of the hi-fi kind, meaning they'll be giving you the most accurate type of bass reproduction, and often times people look for quantity over accuracy (beats by dre and sony xb are also in this group, giving quantity over accuracy, and the DT770 to an extent as well).  Sub-bass reproduction is also a shortcoming many open cans have.

I feel that if you really want that 'mind-numbing' bass, then the DT770-80ohm will give it to you.  Beyerdynamic makes all of their products in Germany last I know of, and their headphones feel great.  I don't think you'd have any problem with their build quality.  

awesome, thanks.  i have hd-25's, and while i love their sound quality,  they lack bass for me. i want headphones that have significantly more bass than them.  is this what dt 770's provide?

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 67
Make ultrasone 900s in your price range, trust us. Go used!
DT-990 have the best bass and soundstage of that productline of the Beyer family.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 67

Quote:
They are hardly a basshead can though, the DT990 that is.  I'd consider them slightly above neutral bass for mid bass and below neutral bass for sub-bass.

Really?? Maybe its the music we listen to? I feel the 990s bass to be exceptional. Perhaps the detail is altering perceptions?

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 67
I'm sure we both listen to a wide variety of music, but it's probably just different expectations or preferences in hearing.  A part of it probably has to do with being amped by tubes as well.  They probably don't give as much bass as a solid state counterpart, if the solid state counterpart can provide enough power as it is for the 600Ω.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back