Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 2, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #901 of 2,875
  I have very different opinions regarding your choices: 

-Fostex TH-610 is gorgeous but doesn`t seal and isolate - not really a closed headphone - and is over twice the price. 
-The beyer 1770 sounds fantastic, but it`s over twice the price, twice the size and doesn`t fold at all. 
-The EL-8 closed is easily the worst-sounding headphone for the money I have ever heard. Totally baffling why they put their name on that thing.  It`s also 3x the price of the H6.
-My experience putting the PM-3 against the H6 is also completely different from yours: the Oppo is lifeless, and I was listening to it both single ended and balanced out of 2 different balanced amps (AK120ii and RAL KB-03), against my H6 single ended.  The Oppo has great build and comfort, but the H6 blows it away sonically, including bass, IMO.  The PM-3`s also almost 2x the price.
-In my experience, the same for the Momentum: gorgeous build and comfort, but muddied middle and bloated bass compared to the H6.  (and I`m a Sennheiser fan)

The only closed, isolating headphones I`ve heard that really best the H6 are the beyer T5p (AK and V2) and the Ether C.  Which by default means, given the huge price and size/weight differentials, the H6 is the best closed headphone for the money, in my opinion.  

It`s crazy that it`s so small and pretty . . . 

Nicely put and I also agree with this.

obsidyen, while some headphones you mentioned may sound better for EDM compared with the H6, it's the balanced sound and "realistic" bass of the H6 that make them usable for all genres.

As I stated before, the H6 are truly the Jack of all Trades. I would rather have a headphone that sounds great across the board rather than a headphone which sounds great for only a few genres.

May 2, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #902 of 2,875
  Hi everyone,

I just had to create an account to thank you all, this thread is really impressive! I've ordered my H6 v1 Black yesterday from German Amazon for 199 EUR, it was there in a lightning deal. However, you can find even cheaper ones (Black v1, Natural v1, Graphite Blush, Grey Hazel) on eBay from various sellers. (and if you create new account and pay with PayPal, you get another 10 GBP discount)

Nevertheless, I fell in love with the grey/blue version Blue Stone but I could not find them anywhere for a reasonable price anymore. Have you seen them anywhere or are they completely sold out? Thanks!

Congrats! You are in for a treat!
wink.gif

May 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #903 of 2,875
  I have very different opinions regarding your choices: 

-Fostex TH-610 is gorgeous but doesn`t seal and isolate - not really a closed headphone - and is over twice the price. 
-The beyer 1770 sounds fantastic, but it`s over twice the price, twice the size and doesn`t fold at all. 
-The EL-8 closed is easily the worst-sounding headphone for the money I have ever heard. Totally baffling why they put their name on that thing.  It`s also 3x the price of the H6.
-My experience putting the PM-3 against the H6 is also completely different from yours: the Oppo is lifeless, and I was listening to it both single ended and balanced out of 2 different balanced amps (AK120ii and RAL KB-03), against my H6 single ended.  The Oppo has great build and comfort, but the H6 blows it away sonically, including bass, IMO.  The PM-3`s also almost 2x the price.
-In my experience, the same for the Momentum: gorgeous build and comfort, but muddied middle and bloated bass compared to the H6.  (and I`m a Sennheiser fan)

The only closed, isolating headphones I`ve heard that really best the H6 are the beyer T5p (AK and V2) and the Ether C.  Which by default means, given the huge price and size/weight differentials, the H6 is the best closed headphone for the money, in my opinion.  

It`s crazy that it`s so small and pretty . . . 

I'm quite interested in both T5p and Ether C but how does those two's soundstage compare to H6?  This H6 has great air and imaging for it's size...

May 2, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #904 of 2,875
  I'm quite interested in both T5p and Ether C but how does those two's soundstage compare to H6?  This H6 has great air and imaging for it's size...

Agreed.  Freakish, actually, given that its cups are so shallow compared with the other `phones we`re discussing.  

The T5p has noticeably more going on in several areas, the soundstage is huge and open-headphone-like; the imaging is fantastically HD800-like; detail is similarly HD800-like.  These last two points contributed to many people, including me,  finding the V1 to be fatiguing sometimes and even harsh, on occasion.  The AK version added more low end and tamed the highs a bit, especially when used with an AK player and their T5p-specific EQ setting.  It`s great, but in comparison to the new V2, now seems like a workaround rather than a full upgrade.  The V2 is a more sophisticated and more successful re-engineering of the sound sig, keeping all the good and eliminating the bad (I think; I don`t own it yet but I keep demoing it again and again . ..)  

The Ether C is a completely different beast . . . .I can`t describe it yet; I like what Tyll said.  

Here in Japan, the T5p is 6x the price of the H6 and the Ether C is 10x the price, so it`s bizarre that we`re even discussing them, but somehow fitting.  

Regarding size, the H6 is leagues apart from the other two.  The beyer and ether are large, heavy, don`t fold, are slightly fetishized, need cases really.  Basically when I took my T5p out with me it dictated which bag I brought with me that day, whether or not I brought my camera, whether or not I was going to the gym, etc.  The H6 can be tossed in most bags as an afterthought, worn around the neck all day without much bother, etc.  It`s a real portable headphone.  

May 3, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #905 of 2,875
Hi all,

I had again some contact with the help desk of B&O.

After checking internally again, they are claiming that there are no technical changes at all between v1 and v2.

I just can't understand how so many people can hear a difference?
This can't be pure imagination!?

May 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #906 of 2,875
Hi all,

I had again some contact with the help desk of B&O.

After checking internally again, they are claiming that there are no technical changes at all between v1 and v2.

I just can't understand how so many people can hear a difference?
This can't be pure imagination!?

The medical term is called Placebo effect.....

May 3, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #907 of 2,875
So, I spoke with both a salesperson from B&O and a Customer Care agent, and they said the following (both of them):

- Impedance is the same between V1 and V2
- However, the H6 has more punchy bass and a difference frequency response.

Also, I tried both the V1 and V2 at the same time and could tell that V2 had slightly punchier lows!

May 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #909 of 2,875
  Agreed.  Freakish, actually, given that its cups are so shallow compared with the other `phones we`re discussing.  

The T5p has noticeably more going on in several areas, the soundstage is huge and open-headphone-like; the imaging is fantastically HD800-like; detail is similarly HD800-like.  These last two points contributed to many people, including me,  finding the V1 to be fatiguing sometimes and even harsh, on occasion.  The AK version added more low end and tamed the highs a bit, especially when used with an AK player and their T5p-specific EQ setting.  It`s great, but in comparison to the new V2, now seems like a workaround rather than a full upgrade.  The V2 is a more sophisticated and more successful re-engineering of the sound sig, keeping all the good and eliminating the bad (I think; I don`t own it yet but I keep demoing it again and again . ..)  

The Ether C is a completely different beast . . . .I can`t describe it yet; I like what Tyll said.  

Here in Japan, the T5p is 6x the price of the H6 and the Ether C is 10x the price, so it`s bizarre that we`re even discussing them, but somehow fitting.  

Regarding size, the H6 is leagues apart from the other two.  The beyer and ether are large, heavy, don`t fold, are slightly fetishized, need cases really.  Basically when I took my T5p out with me it dictated which bag I brought with me that day, whether or not I brought my camera, whether or not I was going to the gym, etc.  The H6 can be tossed in most bags as an afterthought, worn around the neck all day without much bother, etc.  It`s a real portable headphone.  

Thank you so much for the information!!  I'm going to keep H6 for portable use but I need "the one" for home use.  Your experience really helps me!  BTW, I've read your post regarding DT1770 but does it edges out T5P in terms of openness/soundstage?  I'm literally shocked that I'm reaching out for H6 over Noble 8C now days...

May 3, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #911 of 2,875
Thanks for the info! I'm getting a PM 3 as part of the loaner program and the B&O is $300 right now so I mighty compare the two when I have the PM 3. Just a matter of picking up the H6 before the sale is up •_• If anyone else has opinions let me know!

May 4, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #913 of 2,875
V2s turned up today so just had an hour of V1 vs V2 comparison connected to my Mojo.

I'm not very technical but...the V2 is about 3 clicks louder than the V1 and the V2 definitely has louder low bass.

Both these differences were clearly noticeable and 'verified' by my colleague in a blind test.

Now I'm in a dilemma as to which ones to keep... I like the extra bass for some types of music, but, after getting used to the V1 it sounded a little too much on some tracks...

May 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #914 of 2,875
  V2s turned up today so just had an hour of V1 vs V2 comparison connected to my Mojo.

I'm not very technical but...the V2 is about 3 clicks louder than the V1 and the V2 definitely has louder low bass.

Both these differences were clearly noticeable and 'verified' by my colleague in a blind test.

Now I'm in a dilemma as to which ones to keep... I like the extra bass for some types of music, but, after getting used to the V1 it sounded a little too much on some tracks...

Easy, keep both.

May 5, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #915 of 2,875

Great first post. I have the same feedback so far. But I have 30 days to return the V2 so am hoping to burn in before deciding. I wasn't sure about this burn-in business at first but can state when I first heard the V1 pre burn-in I returned them. I then ordered again and to me they sound significantly different after a week or so daily use. I suspect it will be the same with the V2.

So far so good....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back