Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Jun 7, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #391 of 643
So the NFB-3 and special cable is a success then I take it? :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #395 of 643

Using HD800 with HPA-21 was a big surprise. With most other SS amps HD800 sounds like putting your ear against a tweeter. With HPA-21, using the current output, the sound is almost balanced, pure music!

I am following this thread since almost a year now - this is my first post on Head-Fi - I am however owning the Bakoon HPA-21 only since a couple of weeks and can absolutely confirm it is a truly great combination together with the HD 800 in current mode!
The Bakoon brings out the best in the HD 800, indeed pure music, wide and deep sound stage, no coloration and great separation of instruments and/or voices, no distortion, right level of bass, perfect mids and no sibilant trebles, one feels part of the music. I never heard music in any better sound quality, THE solid state headphone amp for HD 800, certainly not cheap but worth the money in my opinion.
I am a big fan of this amp and absolutely like its concept - battery powered, current amplification, design, build quality and footprint - resulting in a sound quality that speaks for itself. I am usually not a friend of superlatives but in this case I cannot resist praising this combination.
Thanks for your attention.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #396 of 643
Couldn't agree more. Bought this for the LCD line of Headphones, but it just blew me away with what it does to the HD800!
Now the HD800 gets almost all my listing time. I mean with it's huge sound stage and now with increased tight bass and the
harsh treble episodes a thing of the pass, It's an end game setup for me.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #398 of 643
  ..., It's an end game setup for me.

Indeed, there is hardly a more suitable amp out there driving my HD 800 any better than the HPA-21. I gave the Dire Straits (Remastered) CD "Brothers In Arms" a serious listen last night and was simply blown away by how good it sounded, I guess I had never heard it better before.
What I also experience is that I start to listen to all songs of a CD again rather than a selective collection of the best songs as before simply because I am so keen to hear how the next song will sound. Or I find myself making detailed plans for the next listening session just because I imagine how well a long time favorite CD may sound in the combination HPA-21 & HD 800. I just love our hobby...

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #399 of 643
Hi jacal01,

it was in fact one of your first posts in this thread in which you described in very much detail how good the HPA-21 sounded and which made me really curious to find out more about the Bakoon. After I had listened to a borrowed HPA-21 in my system I could not resist to buy one for myself, it was so convincing and so obvious it would bring the sound of my system to another level. Thanks again for having shared your listening experience with a greeter audience here on Head-Fi and the inspiration it meant to me to try the HPA-21 myself. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #401 of 643
Sounds great with TH900s. A little bit overly warm and bassy on all the DACs I currently own though. Getting an Audio GD NFB 1.32 to see if I can correct this. 

Curious about the 560s myself. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #402 of 643
  Sounds great with TH900s. A little bit overly warm and bassy on all the DACs I currently own though. Getting an Audio GD NFB 1.32 to see if I can correct this. 

Curious about the 560s myself. 

When TH-900 owners use it with the Bakoon HPA-21, are they using in current or voltage mode?

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #403 of 643
Current

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #404 of 643
  Anyone try this with TH900s, Hifimen 500s or 560s, or PM-1s? Thanks. (If I missed in the thread, sorry...)

I have a different (japanese model) bakoon amp with the 500s: a little harsh with the concero dac, very good with the MHDT labs tube output dac.  Drives them with ease with loads of all the good stuff, dynamics, detail, stage, etc.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #405 of 643
  Anyone try this with TH900s, Hifimen 500s or 560s, or PM-1s? Thanks. (If I missed in the thread, sorry...)

Great with the TH900, even better with the LCDXC...I thought my stable was complete , (for now)  but all this talk about the HPA-21 and the HD800 has my credit card getting nervous again 
confused_face(1).gif

I had a short (experience with an HD800 months ago that left me kinda disappointed, but to be fair, it was paired with a Graham Slee  ULDE , good, but not in the same class as the HPA - 21.

I was wondering if those who pair with the HD800 use low or high gain? as the HD800 is said to require a little extra juice to really shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back