Awesome Mod: Use Shure Black Olive Foamies on Ultimate Ears Super.fi and/or Triple.fi
Mar 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #91 of 139
I had to cut off all the foam that came past the actual IEM tip because it was hanging over the holes and seriously impacting SQ. At that point, the seal suffered, though, since there really isn't much foam material left causing the seal.

(I don't worry about this anymore since I sold them and jumped ship for the UE11. Gonna have to ease off the head-fi for a while, but damn do they sound nice...)

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #92 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by ler224 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is obviously no seal anymore but I do not think that it negatively affected how the headphones sound. And they seemed like they were a little more comfortable, I need to try them a bit longer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no seal". The seal is a primary component to the sound quality of an IEM.....
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #93 of 139
yeah, as in no suction that you get from the normal plastic ear pieces for the super.fi

The quality of the music was not effected by the foam.

I need to listen to them longer.

I could see in a noisy envirnment they may not be as good though.

The foamies were a great purchase for like $15 off ebay. you just need to struggle a bit to put them on. And if you put them on correctly you do not need to cut anything. You need to get the famies on the inner ring and they fit.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #94 of 139
While waiting on my TF10s, I thought I'd try the olives on my old E2c...works a treat!....May blow a pair trying them my CK7 next.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #96 of 139
@gilgameshx, You pretty much can't. If you managed to get the shure olives over the UE universal IEM tip, the only practical way to get it off it seems is to use a blade to destroy the tip and core, being careful not to nick the actual IEM tip.

This plus the actual difficulty of getting it on there in the first place is what led me to suggest actually breaking the core by pushing it over an awl until it snaps. It then slides on and off the tip easily... and doesn't fall out in your ear (like it would if you removed the core entirely) either!

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #97 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have the tips arrived yet, and if so, how did you make out with the Comply's and your SF5P's?

Sorry, forgot to check this thread. I've had them for a while now (the Comply T-400) and I have to say my TF10 have gone from so-so fit that I needed to re-fit once in a while to "just push them in and forget them" (if you really can forget about the giant sized blue-ish blobs that are the TF10 coming out of your ears). They're *comfortable*. Haven't noticed any real difference in ound sig changing, which IMHO is a good thing. I only have TF10, though, not SF5P, but they both have the same sized stem.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #98 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@gilgameshx, You pretty much can't. If you managed to get the shure olives over the UE universal IEM tip, the only practical way to get it off it seems is to use a blade to destroy the tip and core, being careful not to nick the actual IEM tip.

This plus the actual difficulty of getting it on there in the first place is what led me to suggest actually breaking the core by pushing it over an awl until it snaps. It then slides on and off the tip easily... and doesn't fall out in your ear (like it would if you removed the core entirely) either!

that's why I suggest replacing the olive core with a UE core...

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #99 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgameshx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you take out the foam without damaging it? I'm having a hard time trying to replace these now. Does anyone have a clue? I'm using the Superfi.5 Pro.

Do yourself a favor.....buy the Comply T400's. They fit the UE Super.Fi 5 pro's perfectly, and remain securely comfortable in the ear.
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #100 of 139
Has anyone tried the foams sold by UE? Are they just not as good as the Shure or Comply ones?

Just got some 4vi's, they sound good with the silicone tips, but definetly don't isolate as much as my Etymotic ER6i's with foams.

Out of curiosity I tried using the Ety ER6i's triple flange tip, and it slid on with no problems, but it ruined the acoustics of the Super.fi 4vi's. Didn't sound as open and muffled the mids and highs, but the bass was more solid.

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #101 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's why I suggest replacing the olive core with a UE core...

x2. I hated the sound of the olives stretched and squeezed on. After a bit simple surgery as per above, voila! Veeeery nice! And a doddle to swap out, of course!

The UE foams are OK, a bit flimsy and the core just drops out of some of em (handy tho when you want to recore an olive!). I quite liked them, but the olives are superb: great seal, rockingly easy to keep clean, last for ages (apparently)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #103 of 139
I'm in the UK - I wish I could easily get the right Comply tip to find out! I'm waiting on Idealsound to run them, hopefully...

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #104 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpanda86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the UE's & Modded Shures compare to the Comply tips

I was not a fan of the UE Foams. For me, they were really big, and put too much pressure when they expanded in my ear canals. And as previously stated, the cores fall out pretty easily. I really enjoy the Comply's feel and fit. Time will tell on how durable they are, and if they are easily cleaned. But for my first set, they are holding up fine. I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week, and I've had them for approx 3-4 weeks. They are still flexible, and a quick wipe down every couple of days is doing the job.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #105 of 139
Well I just received my Comply T400 foams for my Super.fi 4vi... and they fit the flange somewhat loosely. Although there is enough tension to keep them from getting stuck in my ears, they are very very easy to pull off of the flanges.

But they sounds very good, when they expand in your ear you hardly notice it is there and it isolates you from sounds usually heard in loud coffee shops.

Just kinda worried that they might get stuck in my ears... maybe I'll try to squeeze the Shure Olives on... as maybe the Super.fi 4vi flange may be a little smaller than the other Super.Fi range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back