Awesome Mod: Use Shure Black Olive Foamies on Ultimate Ears Super.fi and/or Triple.fi
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #76 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by nytrogyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold on. I assume the protective coating on the Olives will wear away after being tossed in the boiling water. ...

Actually, there is no coating on the olives. The material on the outside is the same material throughout the tip. The smoothness is just an effect of the mold.

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #77 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an FYI for those who are wary of trying (myself included - well, I actually did try with no success): the new Comply tips should fit right out the bag (I ordered the T-400, tailored for the SF5Pro among others as their stem is of the same size as my TF10Pro from what I've gathered). Waiting for them to arrive.

Have the tips arrived yet, and if so, how did you make out with the Comply's and your SF5P's?

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #78 of 139
I did this mod with success, but unfortunately I ordered mediums instead of large, but it worked good. I just used my thumbnails and pressed the bottom of the olive right on the inner stem. I kept pressing up until I ripped the foam off the stem. Finally I put UE stems in them and waited for them to expand and bam!!! awesomeness. I am going to get some large ones now though.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #79 of 139
Thats the same problem ive got, ive found with the medium foamies they dont compress much (Because the stem of the UE's are so thick) Ive tried the large size and they work better but start to hurt after a while
frown.gif

I think custom ear pieces are the way to go

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #80 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats the same problem ive got, ive found with the medium foamies they dont compress much (Because the stem of the UE's are so thick) Ive tried the large size and they work better but start to hurt after a while
frown.gif

I think custom ear pieces are the way to go

maybe you should try small...

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #82 of 139
Hi all,

This is my first pair of olives (taken from my old SE310), This is my way in making it fit my triple fi's larger barrel.

First I used a small drill piece (size 4) and placed the olives through them, with the help of a small negative (-) screw driver.

After seating the olives on the drill piece (half way on), I would heat the metal drill piece for around 10 secs with a wind proof torch, then a further 5 secs, and rotate olive in a screwing motion so the olive can be penetrated by the drill piece.

(Point the lighter on the smooth part)

Derek.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #83 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlau9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

This is my first pair of olives (taken from my old SE310), This is my way in making it fit my triple fi's larger barrel.

First I used a small drill piece (size 4) and placed the olives through them, with the help of a small negative (-) screw driver.

After seating the olives on the drill piece (half way on), I would heat the metal drill piece for around 10 secs with a wind proof torch, then a further 5 secs, and rotate olive in a screwing motion so the olive can be penetrated by the drill piece.

(Point the lighter on the smooth part)
Derek.

Interesting.. after you re-torched for the 5 seconds, did you "unscrew" the olive back over the cutting grooves of the drill bit?

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #84 of 139
Hi rugby10,

I didn't no, as the heat has already expanded the plastic (rubber) there is no need to use the cutting part. The diameter on the UE's Barrel is greater than the one on a size 5 drill set but only by around 1/2 a mm. So the end result is tight fitting (not as tight as stock olive), but tight enough to require force to pull it off.

I would not recommend heating it more than 4 times as the plastic could harden and split. I don't plan on removing the olive until the foam shows physical deterioration.

Total time taken to mod 1 olive 15 mins including fitting. How long are all you guys taking to put on the olives (with the inner tube).

Derek

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #86 of 139
I looked at the comply tips and find them quite similar to the stock UE's but more rounded off. The shures are slightly different, I find the shure olives has a longer product life. The finish of the olives is smoother compared to the comply tips.

it's washable too!

Derek.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #87 of 139
I just did it! I've put those foam on my UE 3! Wow, what a difference! I just was not able to get a seal before. It's like a new pair of IEM altogether! Wee!

They passed the noisy gym test! :)

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #88 of 139
I got my triple.fi's today, so decided to try to get the black foamies onto them.

I took a bradawl (think pointed end, to larger body), slide the foamies on and slid them up to the main body, left them there for about half an hour, slid them back off and straight onto the triple.fi's and they went straight on, no bother, very easy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #89 of 139
Wow, I guess it really is a patience thing, then... I was only giving them a few minutes on the awl to stretch out, but it sounds like something more like hours might have made it easier.

Still, I didn't see anything wrong with just breaking the inner plastic as I explained... This way, it's actually possible to take the tip back off without destroying it. I also had no problem with it slipping off inside the ear.

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #90 of 139
Dental floss is the way to go, I tied two strings to the back of a chair, and then just tugged on a third string and the fomaies went right on.

The first time I did not put it all the way to the back so I tried again, and it worked.

So I support the Dental Floss method.

As far as comfort I had them on for a few seconds. There is obviously no seal anymore but I do not think that it negatively affected how the headphones sound. And they seemed like they were a little more comfortable, I need to try them a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back