Awesome Mod: Use Shure Black Olive Foamies on Ultimate Ears Super.fi and/or Triple.fi
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #106 of 139
I've tried some of the 1st page techniques ... nothing worked.

I am going to try tips on my needle nose, then put in freezer so opening STAYS larger than normal. then put on my HA-FX66's

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #107 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried some of the 1st page techniques ... nothing worked.

I am going to try tips on my needle nose, then put in freezer so opening STAYS larger than normal. then put on my HA-FX66's

That's not the way to do it, I've tried the first page technique four times.

Replace the olive core with a UE core instead.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #108 of 139
success, my frozen technique worked! I just have to defrost them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #109 of 139
How does the UE foams compare to the black olives one concerning the ATH-CK7 ?

The tips that came along with the CK7 fit well but i want better isolation.

PS: i am using the large ear-tips.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #110 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarCry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the UE foams compare to the black olives one concerning the ATH-CK7 ?

The tips that came along with the CK7 fit well but i want better isolation.

PS: i am using the large ear-tips.

Olives work well w/ CK7 -very good isolation which allows the CK7 bass punch to really come through. Sorry can't compare to UE foams as I only use those for their cores
biggrin.gif

Finally got a pair of Comply T400 on my TF10 (thanks antonyfirst!) & they do seem very good on an initial listen. They also look like they mayfit CK7...

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #111 of 139
So, after actually getting a set of the shure "olives", before trying my boiling water technique, I simply tried forcing them on. I used saliva (we were traveling, so my resources were limited!), and it took some persistence, but I DID get them on all the way. This is on a pair of super.fis.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #112 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They also look like they mayfit CK7...

Thank you for your answer. Actually they do fit CK7 :p. Which size of black olives do you think i will need? I use the large eartips. Someone mentioned that their size is somewhat different than from the CK7 stock ones and i dont want to buy wrong size. They are quite explensive as it is

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #115 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarCry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your answer. Actually they do fit CK7 :p. Which size of black olives do you think i will need? I use the large eartips. Someone mentioned that their size is somewhat different than from the CK7 stock ones and i dont want to buy wrong size. They are quite explensive as it is

1 Buy from ebay seller iDealSound -great price & free shipping to anywhere in the world

2 PM me your address & I'll send you a pair of medium olives to try (er, I won't want them back! LOL). If you have a spare pair of T400 we could trade but don't worry if you haven't
wink.gif

3 Unless you have cavernous cavities, I would have thought medium would fit

biggrin.gif

Oh, & thanks for the confirmation that T400 do fit CK7

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #116 of 139
this trick is great! i got it to work on my sony ex85's as far as SQ i cant say much. it sounds almost like the otehrs. if there is any difference at all. they look badass though.

May 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #117 of 139
I swear, you folks couldn't describe your way out of a paper bag.....
tongue.gif

I picked up some medium Shure foams this afternoon, and found a much easier way to fit them to the UE 5 Pro. Push the Shure tips into-the-ear-end-first down onto some largish needle nose pliers. Slowly (about 10 seconds) open the pliers until you get to the point that the inside plastic is about to split (I killed 2 before I found this point). Insert the tip of the UE phones into the foam from the back and push them a fair way in (pretty much as far as they'll go). Slide the foam off the pliers with your fingernails, keeping the pliers open, and they will snap straight down onto the tip of the UE's.

More reliable than opening them from the base-side, taking them off, and slipping them on quickly before they close. Easier than needing 4 hands for 3 pieces of dental floss and the phones. Not as risky for losing them in the ear as removing the core.

I can't tell any sonic differences, but the seal is much better than with the blunt silicone tips. The comfort is much better than the UE foams.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #118 of 139
I just made the cheapest, easiest mod ever and I love it.
Was never satisfied with the seal, comfort and sizes of the silicone tips (I'm probably between a med-large) and didn't feel like dishing out 15-20$ on some Shure Olive's on something that seemed a bit tricky to mod.

So after 2 trial pairs and different wires, I managed to make my own from some old earplugs (given on prior flights) we had laying around the house (grab some next time you fly
tongue.gif
, or a few!)

Following the idea from: HeadWize - Project: Revisiting Koss "The Plug" Headphones by Chu Moy

I used some old wires hanging around, thick ones, doubled them so making the wholes would take less time

...couple of tries later... I have super duper comfortable super sealed foamies.

Total cost: 0$
Awesome: ya bet!

I am super satisfied with the sound from them on top of the fact that it was a DIY project that turned out successful. I just need to buy some better earplugs in the future. The flashy orange doesn't bother me too much actually.. sorta makes my red super fi 5 pros stand out more.

I'm listening to them right now with my NDS lite and everyone's asleep, and I can't hear anything. Not even my typing. I keep turning around thinking maybe my mom is behind me nagging me to go to bed but nope. Just pure audio bliss. Love it! Like rediscovering.. or rather finally discovering my IEMs. After almost a year with them, I'm finally experiencing their real sound.

PS: I hate the foamies provided with the Super Fi 5 pros, the tube protrudes and it hurts and doesn't fit well.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #119 of 139
I hope they last long enough.

The real test will be done tomorrow.. or actually tonight (since it's 3 am now..) when I go in the noisy Montreal metro (subway). From what I'm experiencing now, I think it will live up the test.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #120 of 139
Well I'm late to the game but I finally got some shure foam tips and tried this, so I wanted to bump the thread up and thank everyone for all the helpful instructions. I was able to get them on with the needle-nose pliers, but they were too tight in my ears with the inner sleeves so I ended up cutting the foam off the cores and just sliding them on like that. The end result is fantastic, they're so much more comfortable and because the seal is so much better background noise dropped substantially and apparent sound quality definitely improved. Now I'm just wondering why I didn't get around to trying this sooner
o2smile.gif

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back