Awesome Mod: Use Shure Black Olive Foamies on Ultimate Ears Super.fi and/or Triple.fi
Feb 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #61 of 139
That is quite inventive!! I still haven't been successful in getting the olives on in an acceptable manner. my initial attempt resulted in a poor fit on the stem and muffled sound. Then getting them off was a total disaster. I'm wondering if this mod is worth it... the only one I want to try out is mentioned earlier in the posts where the shure sleeves have to be removed. I've ruined 2 sets trying to get the sleeves out. Pushing them with my fingernails has not been effective
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #62 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if this mod is worth it...

For me it makes the difference between being able to use them at the most one hour at a time before hurting like h... or being able to use them 3-4 hours with no problem at all

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #63 of 139
Has anyone had to remove/replace the olives yet? And if so, is there any method aside from alot of patience to getting them off effectively? I really want this mod to work for me, but I'm not willing to risk damaging the phones....

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #64 of 139
Cutting them of with a surgical scalpel works for me

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #66 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone had to remove/replace the olives yet? And if so, is there any method aside from alot of patience to getting them off effectively? I really want this mod to work for me, but I'm not willing to risk damaging the phones....

since i replaced the stem with the UE stem, it comes off with no problem. Didn't have to use any glue either.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #67 of 139
ok, this seems like a solution that no one has tried. In working with fitting small plastic parts together like this in other projects, I find that a pot of hot (even boiling) water works WONDERS. Drop these puppies in there for 20-30 seconds and the plastic tube inside should be soft and pliable enough to slide right over the sound tube on the UEs. Once they cool, they'll try to shrink to their original size which would provide the friction neede dto keep them in place. I'd be amazed if this didn't work...

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #68 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cutting them of with a surgical scalpel works for me

Yep, a scalpel like this.

Scalpel to remove the inner sleeve of the Black Foams and the Triple.fi foams.
Then put the Triple.fi sleeve inside the black foam, glued in place with 1 drop of superglue, maybe 2 drops.

triple_fi_modded_tips.jpg

I ALSO RESIZED YOUR PHOTO FOR YOU, IF YOU WANT TO SUBSTITUTE A SMALLER ONE.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #69 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, this seems like a solution that no one has tried. In working with fitting small plastic parts together like this in other projects, I find that a pot of hot (even boiling) water works WONDERS. Drop these puppies in there for 20-30 seconds and the plastic tube inside should be soft and pliable enough to slide right over the sound tube on the UEs. Once they cool, they'll try to shrink to their original size which would provide the friction neede dto keep them in place. I'd be amazed if this didn't work...

what about the foam part, wouldn't it also be affected by the hot water? would it still retain its "foaminess" after taking a hot bath?
confused.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #70 of 139
I have UE super.fi 3's, and would love to try out this mod, since i hear the bass will improve. Where is the cheapest place to buy these Olive Foamies? I live in Canada. By the way, does this mod work well with the Flip-flop mod? Or is it better to use them the regular way?

edit: just purchased them from www.discountheadphone.com (free international shipping). I'll let everyone know if they arrive here fine.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #71 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the foam part, wouldn't it also be affected by the hot water? would it still retain its "foaminess" after taking a hot bath?
confused.gif

I really can't imagine 20-30 seconds in 200F water would be too devastating to the foam material. I fully intend to give this a shot as soon as I get my UEs next week!! Assuming the plastic tube isn't hard acrylic, in theory, this should work fine. Just need to remember to blow any water out of the the foamies before trying to squish them onto the plugs...

If this doesn't work, I'm going to try that string trick! THAT was ingenuitive!

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #72 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really can't imagine 20-30 seconds in 200F water would be too devastating to the foam material. I fully intend to give this a shot as soon as I get my UEs next week!! Assuming the plastic tube isn't hard acrylic, in theory, this should work fine. Just need to remember to blow any water out of the the foamies before trying to squish them onto the plugs...

If this doesn't work, I'm going to try that string trick! THAT was ingenuitive!

Hold on. I assume the protective coating on the Olives will wear away after being tossed in the boiling water. If you want the tubing to stretch, it seems the best way is to do the 3 string method.

Method of choice would be removing the tubing from the UE foam tips and replacing the Olive's tubing with it, but that seems like it could be really hard to do, especially without having some of the foam come off the inside of the Olives while removing it. You could try to stick a needle to loosen the glue between the tubing and Olive foamies before pulling/cutting them out.

When my Olives arrive, I'll be sure to post pictures of how I get them on the UEs.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #73 of 139
Just an FYI for those who are wary of trying (myself included - well, I actually did try with no success): the new Comply tips should fit right out the bag (I ordered the T-400, tailored for the SF5Pro among others as their stem is of the same size as my TF10Pro from what I've gathered). Waiting for them to arrive.

I do use the olives for my ER4 and love them but I've been waiting practically since I got the TF10 for a third party to make tips that fit the somewhat fat stem of the UE:s right out of the box. Until now I've been using dissected ety gray foamies with the tubing from the UE foam tips.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #74 of 139
After much difficulty (and 2-3 destroyed olives) I was able to get ONE on the TF tip with 3 pieces of dental floss via 03029174's advice.

I've found that the best way to do it is to push the tips down the awl until the plastic center tube breaks. Then it is much easier to slide over the TF tip and much less likely to slide off unintentionally than if you remove the centers entirely.

Once I settled on this method, I found that the foam extends quite it bit past the end of the nozzle, and it appeared and sounded to be muffling some of the sound. So, I cut off nearly half of the tip and this is working very well for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, just got all my new kit today and got straight to work putting the shure foamies on my new triple fi 10's. I tried all the methods mentioned with no luck, then thought id try somrthing else, i ended up cutting 3 pieces of string and put them through the foamie, then i pulled it tight and put one piece under each foot, i then pulled on the third piece and my girlfriend was able to get the triple fi into the foamie, it litterally took seconds, i took a few pics to help explain, hope this helps somebody
smily_headphones1.gif

Pete

p.s i cant get the image to display in the post so drop this link into a browser ImageShack - Hosting :: 54515337lx9.jpg

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #75 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new Comply tips should fit right out the bag (I ordered the T-400, tailored for the SF5Pro among others as their stem is of the same size as my TF10Pro from what I've gathered). Waiting for them to arrive.

The Comply's could be a nice alternative. The T-400's are geared for the Super.fi 5 EB's, so in theory they should fit the SF5pro's. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried them on the SF5pro's, before dropping the $. I've had alot of difficulty with the olive's mod, and don't want to risk damage to the phone's. I enjoy them too much
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back