Avara Custom/Universal IEM Thread
Dec 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #77 of 192
Congrats Alvon. :thumbsup: Do you think the AV6 has the most bass out of the whole lineup? Seems it'd suit many bassheads out there if it has.

Hehe, it sounds interesting out of my AK70II. I hope you can hear one soon out of your player. :)

In term of bass qty, this has a bit of more bass than AV3....but how AV6 can reach deeper and lower freq really makes it special on the bass section

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #78 of 192
Yeah, lots to look forward to when I get back to London! :D

How do you like the mkII?
I did a small comparison here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-ak70-mkii-with-dual-dac.860871/page-30#post-13872288

So far, there are no issues with the operability, and battery. It gets a bit hot after a while, not something unusual these days. The sound suits my Grado PS2000e which has a large soundstage; making it more engaging, and intimate. Natural lovely tone, and a nice bass non-overwhelming. It has also a smooth treble which pairs well with brighter IEMs.

It all comes down to synergy in the end though. And also preference. AK70II is a good little player nonetheless IMO.

In term of bass qty, this has a bit of more bass than AV3....but how AV6 can reach deeper and lower freq really makes it special on the bass section
Thank you! I'd also be interested in giving it a try someday. I have around 30% of bassy electronic music in my playlist. The AV6 seems to suit playing that genre. :)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #80 of 192
Interesting. How AV6 performs vs Ei.XX?

I haven't tried Ei.XX for sure.....But comparing to Harmony 8.2 (which I loved a lot), Harmony 8.2 has better separation, wider soundstage....While AV6 has deeper and lower bass, Harmony 8.2 has more punch and more attack presentation. Price wise AV6 (600 USD) is lower than Harmony 8.2 as well...:)

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #81 of 192
I haven't tried Ei.XX for sure.....But comparing to Harmony 8.2 (which I loved a lot), Harmony 8.2 has better separation, wider soundstage....While AV6 has deeper and lower bass, Harmony 8.2 has more punch and more attack presentation. Price wise AV6 (600 USD) is lower than Harmony 8.2 as well...:)
Very nice and honest compression ,

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #82 of 192
I see, interesting; perhaps I’ll go to STC Senayan and try them myself :wink:.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #84 of 192
Going to share some thoughts here.

I was reading the review on the AV2 one day and thought that I should just give this brand a go. Ordered me an AV2 Universal from Avara. That is when this journey started.
I am a guy who loves a clean and transparent sound signature and utterly dislikes too much bass.

So after I made the order, Alvon got in touch with me pretty soon. Very service orientated and very easy to communicate with. Initially told me that there were insufficient drivers for the AV2 but then confirmed that they might have spare and quickly expedited the order.

Then told me he could provide a custom faceplate which he has been trying out and offered to give it to me complimentary considering I was an international customer. Thumps up for service I would say. Then told me he might be able to pass me as he was planning to come to Singapore. I asked if he could also bring along the AV1-AV6 to demo and of course, he agreed. but, for some personal reason, he could not make it and got his brother to pass me the iems instead. I demoed these for just one day in the comfort of Starbucks and my living quarters.

Here are some impressions of the line-up:

These are used with my phone (LG G6 with the Quad DAC) and Spotify. So take my impressions with a pinch of salt as i do not use any DAP for portability sick.

AV1 (not the AV1S):
These are great entry level iems. They are slightly V-shaped with extended Highs and Lows. Above average soundstage. They are clear and detailed. Reminds me of Etymotics ER4P with slightly more bass. I would actually say, of the line-up, I am the most impressed with these.

AV2:
Very neutral and transparent iem. Detailed with slightly more forward highs in my opinion which enhances the clarity. Although the highes are a little more forward, there are no sign of sibilant or harsh. Might appear dry to some but very much to my liking. I would compare these to SE425 with a cleaner bass. Better resolution and separation. But the stage is slightly smaller than the AV1.

AV3:
Clear upgrade of the AV2 on the lower regions. Not a fan but I would say the bass is much smoother, more 'fun'.

AV4:
Should be named the smooth criminal. These are very comfortable to listen. No forward presentation of any freq. Neutral sound signature. Reminds me of the Noble 4 with lesser bass. Just to highlight, these are just not an analytical pair of iem hence do not expect too many boring details. Meant to just enjoy the music on these.

AV6:
Mid centric iem to me. Slightly warm but not overdoing it. Reminds me of SE535 with a slightly fuller bass. Of course, everything else is better. Details are presented effortlessly, worthy of Avara's TOTL ciem. The resolution and separation can also be on par with some of the more expensive ciem out there in the market which might cost 2-3 times more.

I would say these are really great and affordable ciem which would not break your banks. Mainly are for people who just started out or maybe just considering their first CIEM.

Have some pictures. Not a great photographer and just took some pics with my LG G6, but just to share!

20180106_114035_HDR.jpg
20180106_114308.jpg
20180107_120044.jpg
20180107_120247.jpg

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #85 of 192

I was reading the review on the AV2 one day and thought that I should just give this brand a go. Ordered me an AV2 Universal from Avara. That is when this journey started.
I am a guy who loves a clean and transparent sound signature and utterly dislikes too much bass.

So after I made the order, Alvon got in touch with me pretty soon. Very service orientated and very easy to communicate with. Initially told me that there were insufficient drivers for the AV2 but then confirmed that they might have spare and quickly expedited the order.

Then told me he could provide a custom faceplate which he has been trying out and offered to give it to me complimentary considering I was an international customer. Thumps up for service I would say. Then told me he might be able to pass me as he was planning to come to Singapore. I asked if he could also bring along the AV1-AV6 to demo and of course, he agreed. but, for some personal reason, he could not make it and got his brother to pass me the iems instead. I demoed these for just one day in the comfort of Starbucks and my living quarters.

These are used with my phone (LG G6 with the Quad DAC) and Spotify. So take my impressions with a pinch of salt as i do not use any DAP for portability sick.

AV1 (not the AV1S):
These are great entry level iems. They are slightly V-shaped with extended Highs and Lows. Above average soundstage. They are clear and detailed. Reminds me of Etymotics ER4P with slightly more bass. I would actually say, of the line-up, I am the most impressed with these.

AV2:
Very neutral and transparent iem. Detailed with slightly more forward highs in my opinion which enhances the clarity. Although the highes are a little more forward, there are no sign of sibilant or harsh. Might appear dry to some but very much to my liking. I would compare these to SE425 with a cleaner bass. Better resolution and separation. But the stage is slightly smaller than the AV1.

AV3:
Clear upgrade of the AV2 on the lower regions. Not a fan but I would say the bass is much smoother, more 'fun'.

AV4:
Should be named the smooth criminal. These are very comfortable to listen. No forward presentation of any freq. Neutral sound signature. Reminds me of the Noble 4 with lesser bass. Just to highlight, these are just not an analytical pair of iem hence do not expect too many boring details. Meant to just enjoy the music on these.

AV6:
Mid centric iem to me. Slightly warm but not overdoing it. Reminds me of SE535 with a slightly fuller bass. Of course, everything else is better. Details are presented effortlessly, worthy of Avara's TOTL ciem. The resolution and separation can also be on par with some of the more expensive ciem out there in the market which might cost 2-3 times more.

I would say these are really great and affordable ciem which would not break your banks. Mainly are for people who just started out or maybe just considering their first CIEM.

Have some pictures. Not a great photographer and just took some pics with my LG G6, but just to share!

Thanks for sharing your impression @jonsim86. :thumbsup: I agree with you on the AV2, it has a more forward presentation, and a transparent sound with relatively accurate timbre in the mids. The bass although not very strong, is actually pretty satisfying when listening to electronic music, especially with the warmer WM1A player. And adding to its wonderful SQ, is its lovely price, and pleasing customer service. :)

Your description of the AV6 is pretty intriguing, I look forward to giving it a try soon (this week). What do you think of its midrange compared with the AV2?

Well done! I hope you'll enjoy your AV2 in the days to come.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #86 of 192

AV1 (not the AV1S):

AV2:

AV3:

AV4:

AV6:

Very nice impressions and overall idea of the sound signature of these iems,

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #87 of 192
Mids are like the main focus of th AV6. They extend to the mid bass and it gives a fuller sound and somewhat adds to the lower regions. If mids and vocals are your thing, you will surely like it. If the 2 mids are compared, the AV2 is like when you are sitting in the 6th row @ a theatre while AV6 is like 1st or 2nd row. Roughly.. Hahaha

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #88 of 192
Mids are like the main focus of th AV6. They extend to the mid bass and it gives a fuller sound and somewhat adds to the lower regions. If mids and vocals are your thing, you will surely like it. If the 2 mids are compared, the AV2 is like when you are sitting in the 6th row @ a theatre while AV6 is like 1st or 2nd row. Roughly.. Hahaha
Yes i like the mids/vocals with a decent amount of bass( not on the bassheads level) ,
how about the soundstage depth and height ( the height/tall soundstage is more important for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back