Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #436 of 1,058
As in my profile, I have SP1000Cu and AK240. I had AK70mk2 but sold it to have FiiO X7mk2.

May I know what’s the reason behind why u choose fiio x7 mk2 over ak70mk2?

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #437 of 1,058
May I know what’s the reason behind why u choose fiio x7 mk2 over ak70mk2?
As I said in my previous post, AK70mk2 shares similar tonal characteristics with AK240. AK240 has better SQ in all departments. But comparing to the price difference, SQ difference is minute. I decided to have something different rather than owning 2 similar DAPs. That's all.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #438 of 1,058
As I said in my previous post, AK70mk2 shares similar tonal characteristics with AK240. AK240 has better SQ in all departments. But comparing to the price difference, SQ difference is minute. I decided to have something different rather than owning 2 similar DAPs. That's all.
Thank you so much!

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #439 of 1,058
The AK70II although small, and has no gain setting (AFAIK) is pretty powerful in my experience. I tried it earlier to compare with WM1A, and OPUS#2, both on high gain. Small, compact, and powerful, the 70 sounds pretty good as well. These three players IMO have a very clean, and highly resolved presentation. Difference is small among them. They also have a well-extended frequency, with the 1A reaching the deepest in the low region.

Compared to the OPUS#2, the AK70II I feel have more weight, and definition in the midrange frequency. Which makes the 70 sounds more natural, and the #2 more crisp, and leaner. The 70's bass is slightly bigger, with less separation to the mids compared with the #2. It feels punchier, and more fun to listen to. The #2 has a more precise, and well-defined bass, one with better control. This to my hearing makes the soundstage wider, and airier on the OPUS#2, while the 70 sounding more compact in size, and feeling more intimate + natural as if you're in the same room with the musician. The #2 makes you feel as if you're listening to the music on a live spacious stage. The treble is slightly brighter on the #2, but both are equally good in tone, and quality. All three players have a far-extending treble, which makes for their high-resolution, clean sound. Both the 70, and #2 have an excellent smooth treble, which sounds wonderful, and clear.

For the price, the 70 is really good IMO. I think it's capable of competing, or even beating other higher end players depending on your preference. Compared to the 1A, the 70's bass has slightly more in quantity, but less in quality. It's image, and hit is bigger, but less controlled. The 1A has a more satisfying, deep bass sound which is perfect for all kinds of electronic music. While the 70's bass I feel sounds better with hip-hop, or rap genre due to its classic more raw feel. The midrange on the 70 is a bit less forward compared to the 1A. But they both have an equally good tone, and body. Vocals are well-produced, and emotions well-captured with these two players. They both sound weighty, and natural in the midrange, with the 70 having a denser, more compact notes. The 1A's treble extension is greater, making it sound airier, and more spacious. Apart from that, I think the 70 is pretty much similar with the 1A.

P_20171125_122050.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #440 of 1,058
That looks more like a Sony ZX300 than a WM1A. Is the comparison to that particular dap?

Regards,

Giles

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #441 of 1,058
That looks more like a Sony ZX300 than a WM1A. Is the comparison to that particular dap?

Regards,

Giles
Yes, although not yet extensively. It's a WM1A, not ZX300.

By the way, this AK70II is like a heat stone. :D It heats a lot when playing normal, or using tidal, and even more when being charged. I think it's best to not use casing for them in order to allow the heat to dissipate better. I usually just put it in a cloth/pouch when not using, and let it out when listening. This I guess can help prevent any potential internal overheat. Better be safe than sorry (Galaxy Note?). The battery lasted less than half a day, probably because of its resource-intensive internal components. The dual-DAC sounds wonderful, and the tiny pocketable size is very convenient. :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #442 of 1,058
Just ordered the limited edition Fate Heavens Feel version for ~1000$ a few days ago. Cant wait for it to get here :)

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #443 of 1,058
AK 70 II vs FIIO X7 II ? need advice quick guy , pulling the trigger now

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #444 of 1,058
AK 70 II vs FIIO X7 II ? need advice quick guy , pulling the trigger now
Well, in the end it's up to you. But here is an opinion from a person who sold AK70mk2 and bought X7mk2:

1. Both have really good SQ for their price range. This is so subjective that you need to audition them.
2. Software (including the altered Android OS) is more mature and streamlined on AK70mk2.
3. If you are Tidal user, you may want to go with X7mk2 because of offline option (AK70mk2 does not provide offline option).
4. X7mk2 provides multiple amp module options that allows you to customize your setup depending on your gears (e.g. IEM centered system, or mainly using full size cans, etc.). With AK70mk2 you are stuck with one amplifier although it works pretty well and powerful enough for most situations.
5. Battery life is pretty similar on both. However, X7mk2 may have shorter battery life if you use high powered amp module like AM5.

Edit: One more important point. X7mk2 has 2 micro SD slots, while AK70mk2 has one. Both supports 400GB card.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #445 of 1,058
I have an AK Jr which is my first DAP and I’m sold on the idea and want to finally get off the iPhone/amp/dac merry-go-round. I’m not too able to discern the specs in regards to power and wonder if the ak70ii will power HE560’s without an amp. The ak jr is pretty good but I’m pretty much topped out volume wise and it does sound better amped though I don’t want to get into the amp/cable game as tone controls. I like the AK sound.

Also, is the UI better than on the ak jr? The ak jr is pretty laggy, sometimes taking more than a minute to change songs and even freezes up. It’s great if you put on an album and let it go but otherwise it kinda sucks.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #446 of 1,058
I have an AK Jr which is my first DAP and I’m sold on the idea and want to finally get off the iPhone/amp/dac merry-go-round. I’m not too able to discern the specs in regards to power and wonder if the ak70ii will power HE560’s without an amp. The ak jr is pretty good but I’m pretty much topped out volume wise and it does sound better amped though I don’t want to get into the amp/cable game as tone controls. I like the AK sound.

Also, is the UI better than on the ak jr? The ak jr is pretty laggy, sometimes taking more than a minute to change songs and even freezes up. It’s great if you put on an album and let it go but otherwise it kinda sucks.

AK70 UI is far better than the Jr. No difference between the AK70 and the AK70II

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #447 of 1,058
Haha, yeah I haven't really seen anyone talking about it here, but I really like the fate series and this came out the about the same time as when I started looking for an upgrade for my fiio x5 1st gen, so I preordered it really early on. And the purple is really something else. Of course the sound quality is just as good as it looks :L3000: Just got my balanced cable last night and I've been listening to it non stop.
rmifjPR.jpg

URfSxcB.jpg
is there any special voice line included with the player? from what i read on the site it did not specify what is the voice lines. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back