Author Arthur C. Clarke dies...
Mar 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
CNN) -- Science-fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, who co-wrote the epic film "2001: A Space Odyssey" and raised the idea of communications satellites in the 1940s, has died at age 90, an associate said.

Visionary author Arthur C. Clarke had fans around the world.

Clarke had been wheelchair-bound for several years with complications stemming from a youthful bout with polio and had suffered from back trouble recently, said Scott Chase, the secretary of the nonprofit Arthur C. Clarke Foundation.

He died early Wednesday at a hospital in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since the 1950s, Chase said.

"He had been taken to hospital in what we had hoped was one of the slings and arrows of being 90, but in this case it was his final visit," he said.

Clarke and director Stanley Kubrick shared an Academy Award nomination for best adapted screenplay for "2001." The film grew out of Clarke's 1951 short story, "The Sentinel," about an alien transmitter left on the moon that ceases broadcasting when humans arrive.

As a Royal Air Force officer during World War II, Clarke took part in the early development of radar. In a paper written for the radio journal "Wireless World" in 1945, he suggested that artificial satellites hovering above fixed spot above Earth could be used to relay telecommunications signals across the globe.

He is widely credited with introducing the idea of the communications satellite, the first of which were launched in the early 1960s. But he never patented the idea, prompting a 1965 essay that he subtitled, "How I Lost a Billion Dollars in My Spare Time."

Clarke wrote dozens of novels and collections of short stories and more than 30 non-fiction works during a career as a writer that began in the 1950s. He served as a television commentator during several of the Apollo moon missions and co-wrote a 1970 account of the first lunar landing with the Apollo 11 crew.

He was knighted in 1998.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 17
I recall a short story he wrote in the 1950's where an interstellar military technology failed miserably when its vacuum tubes kept failing. Got a kick out of that.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 17
indeed he has been one of my favourite sf authors and i have enjoyed his great sf introduction to sri lanka as well in 'fountains of paradise' a very very good but little known award winning sf novel. im glad he was able to rest in that country that has been such a great impact on him.

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 17
My parents took me to see 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was way to young to understand what I was seeing. But the technology depicted in the film inspired my young mind; I still have vivid mental images of several scenes from that movie, despite the fact that I haven't seen it since.

Later, I was assigned Childhood's End in high school, and once again, this visionary author sent my mind in directions I couldn't have imagined.

He was the rare combination of a true scientific visionary and an inordinately talented writer.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 17
Mr. Clarke inspired at least three generations during his life. His talent remains through his words. His spirit will be missed. Mr. Clarke touched my life at a young age with 2001 a Space Odyssey. His works continue to entertain and inspire me. RIP, Mr. Clarke. My prayers are with your family and friends.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asimov, Clark........who is left? sad..... they are not gone however. Their writings live forever.

We still have Martin Gardner (Martin Gardner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Not a novelist, but one of our finest science writers.

Shame about losing Clark. Great writer, great mind. He will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back